• The KillerFrogs

2019 Season Ticket Upgrade Data

YA

You’re saying that 50% renewal is too high, correct?

I can’t see why anybody would have seats on opposite sides of the stadium considering the price point of the other seats
I'm saying that I highly doubt someone who is buying club seats, lodge or suites are keeping their old seats at a 50% rate.

This nonsense that people are just keeping seats in large numbers to sell them is just conspiratorial BS. One, the market isn't that great for resale seats worth the hassle and two, the folks that have the seats have money and a little chump change on selling them is nothing.

It is just an overblown issue that makes people feel good complaining.

ticketfrog123

I'm saying that I highly doubt someone who is buying club seats, lodge or suites are keeping their old seats at a 50% rate.

This nonsense that people are just keeping seats in large numbers to sell them is just conspiratorial BS. One, the market isn't that great for resale seats worth the hassle and two, the folks that have the seats have money and a little chump change on selling them is nothing.

I agree the club seats guys aren’t keeping their old seats to that extent.

I do think the re-selling or “buying more than you need” for seats in the west armchair section is an issue. It’s noticeably filled with every type of big 12 opposing fans.

Is it 5,000 tickets being manipulated on StubHub for resale? Probably not. Is it at least a few hundred seats that real frog fans want.

I think so.

Edit: there are ~250 100, 200, and 300 level west side tickets currently on sale for the Baylor game

Last edited:

Sand Frog

Pretty much this. I'm by no means wealthy, but I'm fortunate enough thru a Letterman's connection to get 4 seats in Section 104. I have 8 other season tickets of my own. Friends take between 4-6 of those seats. So any given season I'm left with 2-4 extra tickets to all games. I generally give them away as it's more of a hassle for me to try and resale them than it's worth.

tcumaniac

You live in a false reality, which isn’t all that surprising considering your political leanings, which also typically align with make believe world.

It doesn’t take much inductive reasoning to realize ticket reselling is a major issue at TCU. I assume you sit in the west club, which shields you from experiencing it, but sit elsewhere in the stadium, especially the east side, and you’ll quickly realize how much of an issue it really is.

A lot of the best seats on the east side are consistently occupied by away fans. Sit anywhere on the east side, and you’re guaranteed to have opposing fans sitting around you.

I personally know a handful of people that sit in the club section while simultaneously owning premium east side tickets that they own just to resell. It’s not about turning a profit (which they do), it’s human nature. They are given the opportunity to control premium seats, so they do it. They get priority points and then they can either sell them and make a profit (or at the very least make their money back) or give them away to friends or clients. There’s really no reason not to continue owning them (other than that it severely hurts our home field advantage).

There’s a reason TCU implemented the new 8 seat upgrade limit this year. This wouldn’t be a thing if there wasn’t an issue.

HFrog1999

Pretty much this. I'm by no means wealthy, but I'm fortunate enough thru a Letterman's connection to get 4 seats in Section 104. I have 8 other season tickets of my own. Friends take between 4-6 of those seats. So any given season I'm left with 2-4 extra tickets to all games. I generally give them away as it's more of a hassle for me to try and resale them than it's worth.

TCU makes it very easy to sell your tickets through Stubhub. There’s not a reason to let tickets go to waste or sit empty. It’s not hard and when TCU is having a good season they sell for a significant premium.

HFrog1999

You live in a false reality, which isn’t all that surprising considering your political leanings, which also typically align with make believe world.

It doesn’t take much inductive reasoning to realize ticket reselling is a major issue at TCU. I assume you sit in the west club, which shields you from experiencing it, but sit elsewhere in the stadium, especially the east side, and you’ll quickly realize how much of an issue it really is.

A lot of the best seats on the east side are consistently occupied by away fans. Sit anywhere on the east side, and you’re guaranteed to have opposing fans sitting around you.

I personally know a handful of people that sit in the club section while simultaneously owning premium east side tickets that they own just to resell. It’s not about turning a profit (which they do), it’s human nature. They are given the opportunity to control premium seats, so they do it. They get priority points and then they can either sell them and make a profit (or at the very least make their money back) or give them away to friends or clients. There’s really no reason not to continue owning them (other than that it severely hurts our home field advantage).

There’s a reason TCU implemented the new 8 seat upgrade limit this year. This wouldn’t be a thing if there wasn’t an issue.

I have a good friend who used to be a ticket broker. He’s in another line of business now. He had tickets for college and pro teams all across the country.

tcumaniac

Specifically relating to the 50% number of new club seat owners that kept their prior seats, this was a number I was told directly from TCU.

And in my opinion it seems like a pretty logical number.

Doesn’t surprise me at all that at least 50% of those people had seats that they really like and would like to keep in their name (whether it’s for giving to friends or clients, or it’s them simply wanting to have them if they ever decide to give up their new club seats). I highly doubt their motivation is to keep them to sell and make a profit. I bet a lot of them will be given away or just go unused. But I’m also sure some will be sold on stubhub. It’s just so dang easy and hassle free. You can literally list your tickets on stubhub in a matter of seconds while logged on to your TCU account.

tcumaniac

I have a good friend who used to be a ticket broker. He’s in another line of business now. He had tickets for college and pro teams all across the country.
Yep. Ticket brokers exist at TCU too. It’s a balancing act for TCU. Brokers are beneficial bc it increases season ticket sales and helps diversify risk. But you also don’t want them controlling a big chunk of premium seats (which I don’t think they do... but they control some).

ticketfrog123

I agree the +8 upgrade limit is acknowledging there’s a problem. I do think 8 is a bit much. Would like to see it reduced to 4 or 6.

Not sure why we’re bringing politics into this.

I’ll make a post in this thread about some statistics when the process is over. My guess is that the top 500 PP members own over 40% of the premium west side seats.

Bob Sugar

Yeah. Great point. It's isolated for TCU. I mean look at the TCU OU game in Norman this year. https://www.stubhub.com/oklahoma-so...ma-11-23-2019/event/103928840/?sort=price+asc

Only nosebleed seats available. Well, except the ones right behind OU's Bench...and right behind TCU's bench...and in both end zone lower bowls...and in the lower bowl of all 4 corners...but if you disregard all of those, its just the nosebleeds that are left.

Same for LSU @ Bama: https://www.stubhub.com/alabama-cri...ium-11-9-2019/event/103839813/?sort=price+asc

Same for OSU @ Michigan: https://www.stubhub.com/michigan-wo...um-11-30-2019/event/103947462/?sort=price+asc

But yeah, it's a TCU problem.
giphy.gif

Bob Sugar

I agree the +8 upgrade limit is acknowledging there’s a problem. I do think 8 is a bit much. Would like to see it reduced to 4 or 6.

Not sure why we’re bringing politics into this.

I’ll make a post in this thread about some statistics when the process is over. My guess is that the top 500 PP members own over 40% of the premium west side seats.
I wonder how much the top 500 PP donated to TCU compared to everyone else. Come to think of it, the Founders suites are in a primo location and are not always full or often have opposing teams' fans invited. I think they should have to give up at least 2 of the 6 founders suites to "real TCU fans."

riot.gif

ticketfrog123

Yeah. Great point. It's isolated for TCU. I mean look at the TCU OU game in Norman this year. https://www.stubhub.com/oklahoma-so...ma-11-23-2019/event/103928840/?sort=price+asc

Only nosebleed seats available. Well, except the ones right behind OU's Bench...and right behind TCU's bench...and in both end zone lower bowls...and in the lower bowl of all 4 corners...but if you disregard all of those, its just the nosebleeds that are left.

Same for LSU @ Bama: https://www.stubhub.com/alabama-cri...ium-11-9-2019/event/103839813/?sort=price+asc

Same for OSU @ Michigan: https://www.stubhub.com/michigan-wo...um-11-30-2019/event/103947462/?sort=price+asc

giphy.gif

This is a great point. Those other schools have stadiums with 40,000 more seats than we do.

It also costs a minimum donation of $10,000 to get off the waiting list. If you’ve donated six figures to the university (or millions for a box) you can have 20-40 tickets or whatever.

Our issue is that PP members mostly all have the same rough donation range ($3-$10k), yet they still can’t get the seats they want.

We’re talking a minor difference for TCU alumni vs. Alabama or Michigan having to donate a multiple (and arm or leg) more.

ticketfrog123

I wonder how much the top 500 PP donated to TCU compared to everyone else. Come to think of it, the Founders suites are in a primo location and are not always full or often have opposing teams' fans invited. I think they should have to give up at least 2 of the 6 founders suites to "real TCU fans."

Take the box donors out of the equation and it’s not that different.

$25k donated over 10 years gets you a top 500 spot excluding donors. $10k donated gets you west or east side tickets you can just buy on stubhub

Last edited:

tcumaniac

giphy.gif
It’s a little bit of a problem everywhere, but a lot of schools will take away your tickets if you consistently resell them or don’t use them. A lot of schools also don’t incentivize ticket hoarding by giving priority points for every ticket purchased.

None of your listed examples come close to comparing to what’s going on at TCU.

A lot of our problems have to do with an unavoidable disadvantage. TCU is a small school in the heart of a metroplex with huge populations of other fan bases. Think about it. Use OU as an example. While they may have a good amount of tickets being listed on stubhub, those seats are mostly being purchased by other OU fans.

The other part is that a much higher percentage of our premium seats are owned for the sole purpose of reselling compared to other schools, where some of this is happening too, just not at the degree it happens at TCU

Peacefrog

Degenerate
You’re saying that 50% renewal is too high, correct?

I can’t see why anybody would have seats on opposite sides of the stadium considering the price point of the east side club.
Really? I know someone that has mutiple suites, club seats and a significant number of regular seats. If I bought club seats I’d keep my other seats for friends and family. Hard to get good seats back if you give them up.

ticketfrog123

Really? I know someone that has mutiple suites, club seats and a significant number of regular seats. If I bought club seats I’d keep my other seats for friends and family. Hard to get good seats back if you give them up.

I can’t tell if this is serious. Multiple suites? Sounds like somebody with their name on a building or two on campus.

YA

LOL, so I guess my PP ranking in the upper 200's means I'm not living in the real world on this issue and you in the upper ranks of the PP system means you are? Many successful people are not one party and the sooner you realize this the better you will be servicing your hedge fund clients who are not all one party. Unless of course living in the real world means you purposefully discriminate against folks that don't hold your level of how the world must work against your own financial detriment.

YA

Take the box donors out of the equation and it’s not that different.

$25k donated over 10 years gets you a top 500 spot excluding donors. $10k donated gets you west or east side tickets you can just buy on stubhub
Try more like every year gets you in the top 500