• The KillerFrogs

Uhhh...Dixon to UCLA rumor/ news

BABYFACE

Because by the time you've litigated about it you end up netting (see what I did there?) a similar amount at the end of the day without even factoring in the bad blood and headache of dealing with something that gets drawn out. Plus, nobody wants a coach that is bitter and stuck and prevented from moving on, so there is some leverage that the new team can hold against the old team.

But in this case, I want him stuck and bitter for a year. Then let him go.

SnoSki

cell phone video of dixon talking with tcu personnel waiting for plane in new york

1*z4E6Vy_UeDFsYn4KutqpOw.gif

You can't do the "it's not you, it's me" routine, that's MY routine! It's never you, it's always me!

BABYFACE

You're right. That might only take a couple of years to work through the system and get to a judgment. And that's presuming you don't get any counter-claims or allegations that TCU didn't breach in any fashion, such as prohibiting him from hiring certain candidate or forcing him to fire certain staff members. My bad - just send them a letter and I am sure they will cut the check post haste.

Not trying to disagree but in the world of sports, especially in collegiate sports, buyouts are paid and not challenged in court. However, the leaving party always tries to negotiate it down.

DickBumpastache

But Jamie Dixon and his agent aren’t going to sue TCU for refusing to drop the buyout. TCU wouldn't have a hard time showing it’s buyout clause was reasonable. “Look we were super [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]ty, he came here and we were pretty decent.” They can trot out all sorts of metrics, wins, attendance, income, postseason, recruiting, etc. Unless there’s something we don’t know about in the FBI deal that predates CJD at TCU, dare him to be the coach that screws AND sues his alma mater. TCU has little to lose and CJD has a lot to lose in reputation, time, distraction, etc.

Little to lose? Yeah, just any momentum that the basketball program has had in the last 20+ years.

Sends a great message to any potential coaches too...especially the younger ones. 'Stay here for life or we'll try to ruin your career. Now just sign on this line and we're all set!'

TCUdirtbag

Little to lose? Yeah, just any momentum that the basketball program has had in the last 20+ years.

With Dixon bailing on the heels of half our team transferring out, that momentum is already lost. We’ve got to accept that this is once again a total rebuild.

Sends a great message to any potential coaches too...especially the younger ones. 'Stay here for life or we'll try to ruin your career. Now just sign on this line and we're all set!'

No, it sends a message to not negotiate a contract with a huge buyout if you plan to leave. Coaches know how the buyout game works. This situation is in no way unique to TCU. Besides, the reality is that UCLA is going to pay - not CJD. Coaches know that. They’ll play the game, but if he’s UCLA’s guy, an $8 M buyout isn’t getting in the way.

Eight

who made the mess of a roster that would be left behind?

i don't see this as tcu acting like the spurned one here, but make no mistake that at least half the kids dixon has signed in his first three classes are gone with noi possibly on his way out.

i guess the message would be clean up your scheissing messes or get ready to write a check on the way out the door

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Don't think that UCLA hasn't taken a long look at the buyout clauses and numbers. They know what they're responsible for, and have since these talks began with Dixon's agent.

TCU is fully in the driver's seat in this exercise: Dixon has a contract with TCU which stipulates certain conditions under which he can bolt while the contract is in effect. Dixon signed the contract after consultation with agent/legal counsel. Hell, he probably initialed the buyout clause specifically. No way can he, or UCLA, wiggle out of that. It's a slam dunk.*

Neither Dixon nor UCLA is in a position to demand diddley-squat. Their job is to give TCU as much as they have to to see that TCU doesn't sue their warm-ups off* for breach. UCLA is likely to pay whatever is asked, up to the full buyout. They're UCLA. They have plenty of money.

*Try the veal! It's delicious!

DickBumpastache

With Dixon bailing on the heels of half our team transferring out, that momentum is already lost. We’ve got to accept that this is once again a total rebuild.

It's nothing like the rebuild we just went through. We were playing in a high school gym just a few seasons ago. And recruits are already signed. I have no idea what the likelihood is that they'll get waivers or anything like that but I can't imagine it's very high. Also, which transfers were actually going to help this team if they stayed next year anyway?

No, it sends a message to not negotiate a contract with a huge buyout if you plan to leave. Coaches know how the buyout game works. This situation is in no way unique to TCU. Besides, the reality is that UCLA is going to pay - not CJD. Coaches know that. They’ll play the game, but if he’s UCLA’s guy, an $8 M buyout isn’t getting in the way.

Do you really think Dixon signed here thinking this was a stepping-stone job? He probably saw himself retiring here when Del Conte brought him on board. But Del Conte left, the team underachieved, the support was...lukewarm to say the least. Things change. No coach is going to let something like a buyout change his mind, one way or the other.

I guess I just don't get the feeling like we're losing some savior. Jamie Dixon has missed the tournament in 4 of his last 8 years as a head coach. 1 of them is excusable given how bad TCU was when he got here...but his own Pitt program had fully stalled when he left. The last time he didn't lose 10+ games in a season was 2013.

BrewingFrog

It is my understanding that players who have signed LOIs with a particular coach/program, and the coach leaves for whatever reason, then they can be released from their LOI.

I stand to be corrected on that, but if true, then you can wave all those recruits goodbye.

lonestarfrog89

It is my understanding that players who have signed LOIs with a particular coach/program, and the coach leaves for whatever reason, then they can be released from their LOI.

I stand to be corrected on that, but if true, then you can wave all those recruits goodbye.
This is my understanding and actually to take it a step further, I believe the commitment is transferable to the new school, or something similar. So basically the recruit is tied to the coach, not the school.

Hornedfrog431

I am sure JDon has a plan. This has been talked about for 3 months now. Now it’s just executing the plan he has. Put the trust in he has feelers out to external candidates and has a good grasp if any guys on staff would make great HC and then execute.

Hornedfrog431

This is my understanding and actually to take it a step further, I believe the commitment is transferable to the new school, or something similar. So basically the recruit is tied to the coach, not the school.

No school has ever not let a kid out of their LOI when the kid has never started classes etc. All three top 150 recruits would be open market to my understanding.

lonestarfrog89

I am sure JDon has a plan. This has been talked about for 3 months now. Now it’s just executing the plan he has. Put the trust in he has feelers out to external candidates and has a good grasp if any guys on staff would make great HC and then execute.
To be totally honest he hasn’t done anything to date that makes me feel cofident in locking up a good replacement. Not saying Donati can’t do it, but I haven’t seen anything that shows he can. Basically everything to date was teed up by CDC, it’s just been Donati’s gig to not screw up (coach/personnel wise)

BrewingFrog

The one about alligator lizards in the air?
"After nine days I let the horse run free
'Cause the desert had turned to sea
There were plants and birds and rocks and things
There was sand and hills and rings
The ocean is a desert with it's life underground
And a perfect disguise above..."

Latest posts