• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

HFrog1999

It’s so weird how English and American sound like the same language but use words differently.

tumblr_na7n3dCRqH1sv92gio1_400.gif

Frog-in-law1995

Today I saw many F-16s and F-18s doing various maneuvers at the same time. Can't say I've seen that before. Then they all cleared for some piddly little twin prop probably ushering in some low-level brass.

Buddy of mine is the commander of the 301st fighter wing at the jrb. When you see 16s or 22s up there, that’s his guys. Our boys are really close, too. Lemme tell you, when your son’s best friend’s dad is a bird colonel (do they call them that in the air force?) who flies F-16s, it doesn’t matter what you do, your kid thinks your job sucks.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Buddy of mine is the commander of the 301st fighter wing at the jrb. When you see 16s or 22s up there, that’s his guys. Our boys are really close, too. Lemme tell you, when your son’s best friend’s dad is a bird colonel (do they call them that in the air force?) who flies F-16s, it doesn’t matter what you do, your kid thinks your job sucks.
Haha. Also, I was very much unaware there were any 22s stationed here. Thinking of 35s? And I think they call it a full bird, as opposed to a Lt. Colonel.

Those are the notes I've gotten.

TCURiggs

The Dad of my son's buddy, who I've gotten to know pretty well, is a pilot out of Carswell. I was asking him a bunch of questions at a crawfish boil last year, and one of them was what the Air Force Special Operations group does. He told me that they're more involved with communications and air traffic control, so he said "they tell me where to drop the bombs."

I knew he was cooler than me, but that line really brought it home.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Truth don’t lie

ShadowFrog

Moderators
The Dad of my son's buddy, who I've gotten to know pretty well, is a pilot out of Carswell. I was asking him a bunch of questions at a crawfish boil last year, and one of them was what the Air Force Special Operations group does. He told me that they're more involved with communications and air traffic control, so he said "they tell me where to drop the bombs."

I knew he was cooler than me, but that line really brought it home.
USAF Special Ops

Frog-in-law1995

Haha. Also, I was very much unaware there were any 22s stationed here. Thinking of 35s? And I think they call it a full bird, as opposed to a Lt. Colonel.

Those are the notes I've gotten.

Pretty sure his guys fly falcons, raptors and a T-something. Wanna say 36 but I think that’s a Star Wars reference.

Used to manage the ARNG’s recruitment advertising account (if you’ve seen “1-800-GO-GUARD” before, I probably supervised that ad buy and may well have written the copy). I spent a LOT of time drinking at the Crystal City Marriott bar with a now retired colonel, who told me that “bird colonel” was how he distinguished between LTCOL and COL. But I did hear “full bird” a lot too.

Purp

Pretty sure his guys fly falcons, raptors and a T-something. Wanna say 36 but I think that’s a Star Wars reference.

Used to manage the ARNG’s recruitment advertising account (if you’ve seen “1-800-GO-GUARD” before, I probably supervised that ad buy and may well have written the copy). I spent a LOT of time drinking at the Crystal City Marriott bar with a now retired colonel, who told me that “bird colonel” was how he distinguished between LTCOL and COL. But I did hear “full bird” a lot too.
I've always heard full bird, but could be the difference in generation and/or branch. The Lt. Colonel (O-5) rank is a silver oak leaf while the Colonel (O-6) rank is the bird.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I've always heard full bird, but could be the difference in generation and/or branch. The Lt. Colonel (O-5) rank is a silver oak leaf while the Colonel (O-6) rank is the bird.

Colonel -- proper rank title

Full Colonel, Bird Colonel -- slang titles. Note: Urban Dictionary has expanded the scope of the slang definitions. Google at your own risk.

Telephone Colonel -- normally used to refer to a sunglass-wearing zipper-suited sun god who holds the rank of Lt Col, but refers to himself as "Colonel" when communicating via phone or radio to boost his ego.

You're welcome.

geezer
Colonel, USAF, Retired