• The KillerFrogs

Wayne Graham Will Not Return to Rice Next Season

Ron Swanson

I’m curious to know why Kendall thinks that Lance Berkman would be a bad choice. He is one of the funniest and most charismatic people ever and he obviously loves the Rice baseball program. His name also carries a lot of clout in this town, people here love him.

Punter1

I’m curious to know why Kendall thinks that Lance Berkman would be a bad choice. He is one of the funniest and most charismatic people ever and he obviously loves the Rice baseball program. His name also carries a lot of clout in this town, people here love him.

Kendall is an Aggie...so take his opinions on personality with a grain of salt.

I agree...Berkman checks a boat load of boxes for that job as well and I agree, he would be hard to pass up and a great "let's give it a three year shot with him type of guy" if he's interested.

Tony Gwynn is awesome for San Diego State before tragedy struck...

Eight

only know berkman from radio, tv, etc....so i don't know what does and does not truly apply to him.

he has on more than one occasion openly thumbed his nose at the academics demands at rice for an athlete and has publicly joked how almost every semester at rice he was in front of disciplinary committee for suspicion of cheating. not a terrible crime and he was never found guilty, but having friends at rice on the staff there are some people at that school who are very serious about the academics first image.

as a coach the one question is the amount of work it takes to run a program. i know he put it significant hours for years during the season in the mlb, but again he made no secret he wasn't killing himself in the off-season and as someone who has made his money and has a fairly young family will he be willing to put the time in to run a program

clyde drexler is an icon in houston, deep ties in the basketball community, decent personality, and was a disaster as a head coach at uh because he was not willing to put in the time needed to be the head guy.

Wexahu

not willing to put in the time needed to be the head guy.

This is the issue. Coaching probably sounds like fun for a lot of filthy rich former professional athletes until they realize they'll be working longer hours than they ever have (if they want to be good at their job that is).

Dogfrog

only know berkman from radio, tv, etc....so i don't know what does and does not truly apply to him.

he has on more than one occasion openly thumbed his nose at the academics demands at rice for an athlete and has publicly joked how almost every semester at rice he was in front of disciplinary committee for suspicion of cheating. not a terrible crime and he was never found guilty, but having friends at rice on the staff there are some people at that school who are very serious about the academics first image.

as a coach the one question is the amount of work it takes to run a program. i know he put it significant hours for years during the season in the mlb, but again he made no secret he wasn't killing himself in the off-season and as someone who has made his money and has a fairly young family will he be willing to put the time in to run a program

clyde drexler is an icon in houston, deep ties in the basketball community, decent personality, and was a disaster as a head coach at uh because he was not willing to put in the time needed to be the head guy.

Drexler maybe the single worst hire ever in college basketball. Total desperation hire.

Moose Stuff

Would work if he surrounded himself with energetic/hard working assistants.

hometown frog

Berkman might work in an assistant role (like TCU did with Nolan Ryan years ago) that way he’d be able to use his notariety in recruiting battles and provide valuable perspective to the team. But he’s never coached that I’m aware of at any level. It’s insane to think you can simply walk into an upper level D1 program with some significant hurdles to work thru regarding costs and academic rigors and succeed.

I agree w Kendall. I think berkman as a head coach would be a disaster for them.

FrogLifeYo

Would work if he surrounded himself with energetic/hard working assistants.

Sure...but if you don’t understand the scope of the amount of work and energy necessary to be successful, how is he going to find assistance understand it?...Like most of life, people tend to take on the characteristics of those that lead them.

lonestarfrog89

He’s from California. Stanford made perfect sense. Again, from the outside looking in.
I didn't know that, so that makes sense.

I could be making this up, but when Berkman retired from the MLB, wasn't there already a buzz from Rice as him being the replacement but then he bailed on them and did some assistant coaching at UT? I could be making it up, but I feel like something along those lines happened.