• The KillerFrogs

My turn to weigh in

Limp Lizard

Looking at giddy the TOP people were with the Arkansas game, look at the facts:
First half TOP was 16:03 against Arky; 15:40 against OU...we held the ball a whopping 23 seconds more against Arky.
Scored 14 against Arky, 7 against OU. Yeah, that's a little better.
Arky scored 7 points in 6 possessions vs 38 for OU with 7 possessions. If Arky has scored so well we would have been behind 31-14 against Arky and the final score would have been very, very different.

Nearly everyone was in agreement we could not get in a track meet with OU...that's not our strength this year. But we ended up with said necessity to score a ton and could not, as expected, do it.

If we get into the B12 champ game, we need to find some way to slow down Mayfield. Or score a whole lot. Oh, and hopefully when GP said Anderson was out for the rest of the regular season he did not mean the championship game. Yeah, he probably did mean including that game, but I can dream, can't I? And he did say "probably;" so...you're telling me there's a chance?
tenor.gif

Sebastian S

We have won games thus far because of our defense and the offense playing safe.

We have not had to play from behind really up until OU.

I think Anderson is gone for the year/season, he looked worse coming out than Morris did at the OSU game.

YA

Anderson was in a boot Saturday night back in Fort Worth. I don't expect him back till the spring practices

flyfishingfrog

why did we blitz so much?

Seriously - does anyone understand it?

We don't blitz much at all normally - even when we all wish we did more.

And BM is the highest rated QB in history against the blitz.

And ISU didn't blitz him much and managed to confused him with coverages instead of letting him beat them with his feet and fast release.

Seems like a bad idea from the start and it didn't work, but we kept at it.

Sebastian S

The first couple of drives where we scored and missed the field goal looked to be working but we were playing fast/no huddle.

I don't know why we couldn't continue that minus the fast/no huddle part.

Our offense shouldn't have had to do anything special vs. OU's defense. Should just
have kept doing what was working, run and short throws.

I feel like they overplanned for this game and it came back to bite them, both offense and defense.

Wexahu

OU had a bunch of freshman (or players with limited experience) starting in the secondary. We could not take advantage of it. I'm not sure if game plan or execution was the problem, but it was frustrating to watch.

Their weakness was in a spot we couldn't exploit because we don't challenge secondaries in the passing game anyway. I'm beginning to think we'd have trouble completing passes downfield against air. There's just no continuity or rhythm in the passing game past the line of scrimmage at all. The ones we do complete almost look like accidents.

matmoo123

Since we knew it was very low probability that we could beat them twice in a month, I’m still hoping this was the greatest rope-a-dope in history and we kick their ass in the conference championship game, win the conference, and get a New Years Six Bowl win... We got em right where we want em.

4TCU

And ISU didn't blitz him much and managed to confused him with coverages instead of letting him beat them with his feet and fast release.

was thinking the same thing

Pharm Frog

I always expect the worst, but I wouldn’t read too much into him wearing a boot.

Agree. There are players in boots on game day morning and then play in the game. Don’t think that’s a common thing among running backs though. Ironically I have seen this with receivers.

ifrog

It was going to be tough to beat OU twice. Its better to lose to them now and have a chance for a B12 conference championship than to have won and turnaround and lose the conference championship game and miss out on both a conference championship and CFP berth. This is assuming that we take care of business the next two weeks.

tcumaniac

It was going to be tough to beat OU twice. Its better to lose to them now and have a chance for a B12 conference championship than to have won and turnaround and lose the conference championship game and miss out on both a conference championship and CFP berth. This is assuming that we take care of business the next two weeks.
Yep. And thank goodness ISU lost. I was rooting for them to beat OSU, which almost ended up happening.

hindry

that's certainly the glass half filled, or else u empited half that glass this AM

either way i like it. we weren't ever gonna beat OU twice.

jake102

Their weakness was in a spot we couldn't exploit because we don't challenge secondaries in the passing game anyway. I'm beginning to think we'd have trouble completing passes downfield against air. There's just no continuity or rhythm in the passing game past the line of scrimmage at all. The ones we do complete almost look like accidents.

Yep. We made a bunch of freshmen/bad players look like the Seahawks secondary. We just don't even attempt to make any difficult throws which makes it very easy on a secondary.

bronco

Next year will be critical for our offensive coaches. Our quarterback is a good player and I hate to think of where we would be with out him, but he has a limited skill set. We have a bunch of young talent that will be in the spotlight. We really need this group to step up. Hoping Graham can get back on the field, Manning to get healthy and somebody replaces Turpin, maybe Snell. I don't expect Sean to be a super star, but hope he improves through out the year. He will be tested early on a big stage but our Big 12 home schedule is pretty favorable.

Cumbie, its your guys next year. Lets see what you can do!

Sebastian S

Yep. And thank goodness ISU lost. I was rooting for them to beat OSU, which almost ended up happening.
If we did beat OU last Saturday, an ISU win would have been better because a rematch against ISU in the CCG would have been a possibility.

Losing to OU made ISU losing better because ISU has the head to head against us if there were a tie.

SnoSki

I had a similar thought as well.

I recall when Sam Bradford torched us in 2008(?) that GP said in the postgame that he tried to get too complex with the blitzes, and Sam was able to get the ball out before the blitzes came home.

Same thing happened against Baker.