• The KillerFrogs

Luken Baker injury info

Purpletoad

So many scenarios and speculation. I will say two summers ago a kid on my son's team had the exact same scenario and injury playing first base. It was ugly...We were in Florida and it was the last inning of the last game of the last tourney we played that year. After MRI, they got the call that there was a tear in the ucl ligament. I talked to the dad that day and he was already assuming tommy john surgery. Later, at the appointment, the surgeon recommended rehab rather than surgery. It was on non-throwing arm. Rehab would have been approximately 6 months if he had surgery.

flyfishingfrog

Because the recovery time would have him miss all of the 2018 season

Wow - lot of wild speculation in this thread and some people that need to step away from the computer

I am a physician and can honestly say I have no idea when he will be able to play again

There are so many variables it's crazy to even guess

However comparing the recovery time of a guy that plays 1b and DH that hurt his non-throwing arm to the recovery time of a major league pitcher that had the same surgery on his throwing arm is probably going to be far from accurate

French Frog

LB arm wrapped from top to above wrist. Not in sling.
Not in a sling would be unusual, if he injured anything above the elbow. After I reviewed the video it looked like several possible injuries could have occurred.

1. Left humerus spiral fracture. Would be in a sling if this happened.

2. Left elbow UCL tear. He would usually be wrapped and in a sling for this injury.

3. Left elbow fracture or fracture/dislocation. This is the one type of injury I can imagine wrapping upper arm to hand, with no sling. Since it may need to be reduced surgically.

From Pharm's description it makes the most sense that this was some form of elbow fracture/dislocation. If so, that would be a severe injury and my main concern would be for the potential of nerve damage that can occur with these types of injuries.

I wish Luken the best with his recovery and the French family will say our prayers for him.

French Frog

Not in a sling would be unusual, if he injured anything above the elbow. After I reviewed the video it looked like several possible injuries could have occurred.

1. Left humerus spiral fracture. Would be in a sling if this happened.

2. Left elbow UCL tear. He would usually be wrapped and in a sling for this injury.

3. Left elbow fracture or fracture/dislocation. This is the one type of injury I can imagine wrapping upper arm to hand, with no sling. Since it may need to be reduced surgically.

From Pharm's description it makes the most sense that this was some form of elbow fracture/dislocation. If so, that would be a severe injury and my main concern would be for the potential of nerve damage that can occur with these types of injuries.

I wish Luken the best with his recovery and the French family will say our prayers for him.
Never mind! I didn't know Luken was in the dugout. Most likely a little less serious than I described.

TCURiggs

He's here and was going crazy on Skoug HR. Arm is immobilized with heavy wrap at a very slight angle - in my day we would have called it a "temp cast". And my goodness that's one huge arm....

I'm watching on TV. Do you know if that's Luken's Dad in the neon green long sleeve shirt? I've seen him at the tailgates multiple times wearing that. He also went nuts on TV as soon as the ball left Skoug's bat. Good stuff

Edit - just checked the game thread... That's him

French Frog

He's here and was going crazy on Skoug HR. Arm is immobilized with heavy wrap at a very slight angle - in my day we would have called it a "temp cast". And my goodness that's one huge arm....
I take it your at the game Pharm. My 6 year-old boy was on the pond, fishing pole in hand at 8am. He just wrapped up (ran out of bait) just before game time.

Pharm Frog

I'm watching on TV. Do you know if that's Luken's Dad in the neon green long sleeve shirt? I've seen him at the tailgates multiple times wearing that. He also went nuts on TV as soon as the ball left Skoug's bat. Good stuff

Edit - just checked the game thread... That's him

Yes. I know the Bakers and the Feldmans. Both great families from the greatest high school zone in Texas.

Purp

I was listening to Chuck. I got a real lesson in Sooner baseball radio broadcasts back when Damon Minor was working with Son of Pharm in the cages and doing Sooner broadcasts. Kinda opened my eyes to how things are "controlled" and manipulated in the booth. Have no interest in listening to Sooner radio.
I'd be interested to hear more details about this.