• The KillerFrogs

Recent content by Michael Milton's Jaw

1. M

Spring football

If I recall correctly, they won every conference regular season game. So not just regular season champ, undefeated regular season champ that had to play a stupid championship game for more “data points” for some committee.
  2. M

FWST: Reality check: This is the best stretch of TCU basketball ever. Don’t take it for granted

Killer’s 82-83 team lost to Houston 3 times that year, I think by a total of 5 points and that was by far the best Phi Slamma Jamma teams.
  3. M

OT - Movies thread

Only someone from Fort Worth could have written the scene with the Mr. Pibb/ Dr Pepper lines.
  4. M

Frank Windegger passed away this afternoon.

Around 1976 or 77, I remember seeing Mike Renfro working out on a Unversial Gym machine in the bowels of Daniel Meyer Coliseum. I was a kid and I could tell that was nuts.
  5. M

FWST: How 23 & 24-year-olds are the norm in college football & basketball. It’s ridiculous.

Muck must have missed the UTEP and SMU track teams of the mid to late 1970’s. Had 28 year olds that had done time in the Tanzanian “army” and were taking away scholarships from 18 year old kids from the US. SMU had a number of foreign people because apparently outside the US, you just made up...
  6. M

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

You know when people say “ I am glad not everyone had cameras with them all the time when I was a kid because we did stupid stuff”. That is what this is
  7. M

OT: Predict the Super Bowl

Local kid, grew up in Grapevine
  8. M

FWST: ‘Horns Down’ is the gift that keeps giving for Texas, so please quit whining about it

Did the Steaming Pile at least acknowledge that the basis of the Hookem Horns hand sign, as well as the Gig from A&M, both had to do with trying to beat little ole TCU?
  9. M

WOG Basketball Tryouts

My grandfather played on the Wonder 5 teams at Franklin College. Told me of playing Purdue in an armory, with a dirt floor. He kind of undersold what they did against the big colleges like Notre Dame. When I met Vandiver, I did not realize what greatness I was beholding. They were in their...
  10. M

WOG Basketball Tryouts

Before Milan HS was Hoosiers, Franklin HS in Indiana had the Wonder 5 with Fuzzy Vandiver in the 1920’s. John Wooden said Vandiver was the greatest basketball player he ever saw.
  11. M

TCU Basketball Trivia Question

It was in 1969 when Chestnut made the call that brought Bill Mack to WBAP and the Midnight Cowboy was born.
  12. M

There is Mickey McCarty and then everyone else who ever wore purple & white. Maybe Sam Baugh was as good in two sports but he was no McCarty: 6’ 7”, 245 lbs, starting pitcher in baseball, All SWC 2 years in baseball , glue in those great Swaim basketball teams, drafted in the 4th round of the...
  13. M

As a small kid listening to those games on the radio, it was theater of the mind. I didn’t get to go to a lot of games but I rarely missed one on the radio. Great teams.
  14. M

So long, Sports Illustrated

I feel the same way about the local paper, NPR, national nightly news on TV, most movies, and KERA.
  15. M

Looking to try new Fort Worth tex mex place

I think they kept the El Rancho tortillas also, made by the guy that does the chips. A bit of trivia, after the Fairway Steakhouse closed, in the 1970’s, before the building housed Mama’s on Camp Bowie, El Rancho Grande had a operation only about a block west of the Orginal.