• The KillerFrogs

Didn't go for 2..?..

Stiff Arm Frog

Coach P is a great coach, the best coach, but he has two weaknesses: (1) his play calling doesn't take into account the possibility of a fake punt, and (2) he doesn't go for two when the circumstances call for it.

I love him anyway.

Froggy Style

Coach P is a great coach, the best coach, but he has two weaknesses: (1) his play calling doesn't take into account the possibility of a fake punt, and (2) he doesn't go for two when the circumstances call for it.

I love him anyway.
Ditto.

Please use the extra money to have someone on the staff who tell you when to go for two and call timeouts.

Kaiser

So, the board said you should never go for 2 when you have s 12 point lead... think my wife missed that one.

Cheers!

Yes. Because we would've missed the 2. SDSU would've botched the snaps on their next two PATs. And we would've lost in OT. NEVER go for two when the book says. And also take the ball 1st in OT. Our fans are genius coaches. Trust them.

If over the course of the season, you knew you could score more points going for two all of the time than by just kicking the extra point routinely, why not just go for two all of the time?

asleep003

If over the course of the season, you knew you could score more points going for two all of the time than by just kicking the extra point routinely, why not just go for two all of the time?

Ask Lane Kiffin... not a good Idea, as he failed at it.
But if you have a 12 point lead... it's always a good idea to try for 2pts.
Like always splitting 8s in Blackjack and never splitting 9s.
Actually, kicking for 1 with a 12 point lead is like splitting 10s in blackjack.

Cheers !

OmniscienceFrog

The only thing I know for sure is that when they went for two down by 10 with 11+ minutes left in the game, they lost, when they would have won ultimately by kicking the extra point. When they kicked the extra point ahead by 12, instead of going for two, they won.

Froggy Style

Actually, kicking for 1 with a 12 point lead is like splitting 10s in blackjack.

Cheers !
Decent analogy, but if you are splitting tens, you may actually win MORE money...so there is some logic behind it. Going for 1 here on means you lose if they score two TDs, which is all they had time to do. NO logic behind it.

Cheers !

Don't think you should always go for two with a 12 point lead, only if it is late in the game. Maybe last 10 minutes of the game.

Limey Frog

I love him anyway.

We went for two when circumstances called for it literally just last week. And it literally ended up costing us a one-point win [though I for one still believe it was a good decision at the time].

Once bitten...

Planks

I can understand the two point decision last week because there were costs and benefits for going for two and not going for two, so it was a coach's preference type of deal.

The problem this week is that there was literally NO downside to going for two over kicking the PAT. If you go for two and get it then great, you have a fourteen point lead. If you don't get it then oh well you have a twelve point, which puts you in the EXACT SAME POSITION as if you kicked the PAT and had a thirteen point. You would be no worse off. No matter whether you have a thirteen point lead or a twelve point lead, the opponent beats you with two touchdowns.