• The KillerFrogs

Personnel or Coaching Issue?

Power of Purple

Ticket Exchange Pass
Question:

Were last night's defensive problems attributed to lack of talent? Or is it our coaching scheme? (man to man corners + pass rush for the 4-2-5 to work). If it's personnel then we have a long season. I personally think the defense got better in the second half and started to stop Baylor. It looks like we made some adjustments and stop giving up the long ball. Maybe it was a zone look more? Anyway, please discuss. Thanks.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The Patterson Scheme is predicated on playing assignment football. The players have to do their jobs or you get breakdowns.

The weak point of the defense is on the corners. Man coverage, corners are on an island. The scheme is that your defensive line will get enough pressure on the QB to force innacurate or rushed throws, if not sacks. In our case last night, the pressure wasn't there and the corners were burned. Bad. There was nothing they could do.

What I have a question about is, why were our guys cramping up? In the past, the Coaches and Trainers were extremely good about hydration, training and monitoring and that sort of thing just didn't happen to the Frogs. Yet, last night, there we were cramping up all over the place. And Baylor didn't seem to be having any trouble. What's up with that?

Yuck. Just a monumental breakdown...

MidlandFrog

Young secondary, near perfect game by very good QB.

Exactly, I never seen a college QB be that accurate on the deep ball for an entire game. Watched a ton of games today and no QB has come close to his accuracy on that deep ball. Our secondary needs work, but I suspect that we won't see a QB performance like that again this year against our D. I think they were a little shocked. I was surprised that Patterson and Bumpas didn't switch to the zone earlier.

byuhog

I think Baylor and Griffen specifically deserve a lot of credit. We don't know how good either team really is yet, but Griffen and Baylor were pretty hot all night long. they had to play an almost perfect game just to barely get by TCU.

TCU's offense will be alright I think. Paschall reminds me a lot of BVP-Bradley Van Pelt of CSU, who was really scrappy and a gamer. Went on the NFL for a bit. He's tough. He dug down in the game with the cramps and still gutted it out. That shows heart. He's gonna be fine, but the O-line has to get better at protecting him.

And the defense will be alright too. Just a matter of those younger guys getting more experience-putting in the time to study film and not make the same mistakes. TCU will have a solid D by the end of the year. I don't doubt it. Once they start putting it togwether it's just a matter of time before TCU gets back to their old selves. I actually don't think it will be that long. By midseason, TCU will prob be holding teams to around 21 pts a game. Everyone knows TCU has about all the speed you could reasonably ask for for their college football team. So it's getting the mental game down, the reps, the experience at this point.

But the defense now, kinda reminds me of how they were in 2006-when BYU came in and threw all over the place. And TCU played good defense, but John Beck threw the ball lights out. It happens. Griffen threw lights out. He was on fire. It wasn't just TCU having a bad defense alone. He had a great game. He was very accurate.

Rest of the season remains to be seen. But AF is gonna be tough, BSU, BYU and SDS. TCU could drop all those games.

McFroggin

Our D has a lack of depth. We are young and inexperienced. We reloaded on offense, but we are rebuilding our defense. There were holes everywhere on defense. Too many new personnel that are not at the TCU level yet.

kodiak

I think Baylor and Griffen specifically deserve a lot of credit. We don't know how good either team really is yet, but Griffen and Baylor were pretty hot all night long. they had to play an almost perfect game just to barely get by TCU.

TCU's offense will be alright I think. Paschall reminds me a lot of BVP-Bradley Van Pelt of CSU, who was really scrappy and a gamer. Went on the NFL for a bit. He's tough. He dug down in the game with the cramps and still gutted it out. That shows heart. He's gonna be fine, but the O-line has to get better at protecting him.

And the defense will be alright too. Just a matter of those younger guys getting more experience-putting in the time to study film and not make the same mistakes. TCU will have a solid D by the end of the year. I don't doubt it. Once they start putting it togwether it's just a matter of time before TCU gets back to their old selves. I actually don't think it will be that long. By midseason, TCU will prob be holding teams to around 21 pts a game. Everyone knows TCU has about all the speed you could reasonably ask for for their college football team. So it's getting the mental game down, the reps, the experience at this point.

But the defense now, kinda reminds me of how they were in 2006-when BYU came in and threw all over the place. And TCU played good defense, but John Beck threw the ball lights out. It happens. Griffen threw lights out. He was on fire. It wasn't just TCU having a bad defense alone. He had a great game. He was very accurate.

Rest of the season remains to be seen. But AF is gonna be tough, BSU, BYU and SDS. TCU could drop all those games.

This game reminded me of the BYU game with a touch of the 2003 UH game. Griffin was hitting even when we had acceptable coverage. Pressure was lacking. As disappointing as the loss is, better now and move on. I think that RBCLHCGP will have the team's full attention and corrections will be made.

WIN

Baylor wanted it more, more intense, to me that is a coaching issue, but one that can easily be corrected.

oldscribe

Exactly, I never seen a college QB be that accurate on the deep ball for an entire game. Watched a ton of games today and no QB has come close to his accuracy on that deep ball. Our secondary needs work, but I suspect that we won't see a QB performance like that again this year against our D. I think they were a little shocked. I was surprised that Patterson and Bumpas didn't switch to the zone earlier.

Yeah. When your CB is on an island with a WR, you have to hope (1) that he can stay with the guy and (2) that the QB is a couple feet off target. Griffin was right on target most of the evening.

Some our guys didn't play assignment football in the first game of the season. My worry is our corners didn't play up to snuff. I wonder what the coaches can/will do about it.

Froggy Style

Our problem is that many times the corners on an island are running two steps behind the WR. Watch Boise run the 4-2-5 we taught them. Their corners were two steps in front of the incredibly fast Georgia WRs and had the best chance to catch the ball...on defense. If we're going to take the risk of playing man on a WR (and you have to against a QB who can run a 4.3, then you need to make sure you keep the WR between you and the endzone.

2themax

Your db's are only as good as your pass rush. Corners were in position. Griffin was just deadly accurate. With more than one receiver too. It was just his night. Those receivers had little to no separation on those vertical routes. He didn't overthrow any of them.

JugbandFrog

I suspect we will in Lindley and Moore for sure, and possibly Padron and Heaps, if he gets it together.

2themax

Our problem is that many times the corners on an island are running two steps behind the WR. Watch Boise run the 4-2-5 we taught them. Their corners were two steps in front of the incredibly fast Georgia WRs and had the best chance to catch the ball...on defense. If we're going to take the risk of playing man on a WR (and you have to against a QB who can run a 4.3, then you need to make sure you keep the WR between you and the endzone.
They'll throw it underneath the coverage if the cb's do that. Boise cb's may have speed issues. Our corners dom't. They were locked on most of the time. They just didn't locate and play the ball. Their technique was textbook. Griffin's accuracy left no margin for error.

TCURiggs

They'll throw it underneath the coverage if the cb's do that. Boise cb's may have speed issues. Our corners dom't. They were locked on most of the time. They just didn't locate and play the ball. Their technique was textbook. Griffin's accuracy left no margin for error.

I think that's pretty accurate when talking about McCoy, but Verrett got straight up smoked on a few occasions. He was visibly shaken on the bench after the second long TD got thrown over his head. He was the only defensive player sitting down with his helmet on, and he was literally holding his hands out shaking. I was pretty surprised to see that...he was flustered big time.

Boomhauer

I think that's pretty accurate when talking about McCoy, but Verrett got straight up smoked on a few occasions. He was visibly shaken on the bench after the second long TD got thrown over his head. He was the only defensive player sitting down with his helmet on, and he was literally holding his hands out shaking. I was pretty surprised to see that...he was flustered big time.

Wow. What is our success rate with JUCOs? Do they usually work out?

TCURiggs

Wow. What is our success rate with JUCOs? Do they usually work out?

Good question. I'm not really sure. I think Verrett has the talent to be a good player here, but he kind of got thrown into a tough situation last night (first game, on the road, against a good QB and WR in a rivalry game). I bet he'll bounce back.

2themax

Not surprised if that was his reaction considering it was his 1st exp as a Frog on ESPN on the road in a high-intensity game. Last time he played, it was at a small juco school. Who wouldn't be shaking? That's an awful big jump. He'll come around.

hindry

i give all due credit to griffin

he hit his targets.

even if the CB is a step behind....if the ball is not on target then your pass completions drop.

look no further than the tutorial given by k. moore.

HOWEVER....and no one seems to be saying this....

WE came from a 25 pt deficit....this is very, very significant ..

no... this is huge...because we didn't wait for next sat to adjust....means these kids have heart and brains

and

pachall's debut as QB and leader..WOW.........wasn't that the worry?......read the blogs of thurs PM..........man,at QB, we are in great shape