• The KillerFrogs

We just had an earthquake in DC!

frogbyproxy

5.8? Sounds like all the politicians farted at the same time! Only way there is any type of movement in that area. :tongue: Could also have been created by mass exodus for lunch by congress. Heard there was a new Chitole opening which could have caused either of the two. :rolleyes:

BleedNPurple

Most fracking is safe. However, in a water shortage, you have a point. But then again you run into lack of energy. There has to be a balance somewhere. You need water to live but without energy, it is back to horse and buggy and candle light. Many with health issues that depend on modern technology will die. Now it becomes Darwinism.

On a TCU note: Are you aware of how much energy is required to rebuild ACS? Do you realize how much energy it takes to power that stadium on gamedays? A lot of forms of entertainment are wasteful of energy and limited resources. So are you against a new ACS or even CFB games? I am just saying if there is preaching of social conscience in this thread.

It is about proper balance and common sense. Problem, is our society deals in extremes and moderation is becoming extinct. As for me, I will use my refrigerator to keep my youngest daughter's insulin and our food from spoiling. I keep the AC at 78 in my house, as balance between cool and conserving energy.

Never waste a fart!

Deep Purple

Most fracking is safe. However, in a water shortage, you have a point. But then again you run into lack of energy. There has to be a balance somewhere. You need water to live but without energy, it is back to horse and buggy and candle light. Many with health issues that depend on modern technology will die. Now it becomes Darwinism.

On a TCU note: Are you aware of how much energy is required to rebuild ACS? Do you realize how much energy it takes to power that stadium on gamedays? A lot of forms of entertainment are wasteful of energy and limited resources. So are you against a new ACS or even CFB games? I am just saying if there is preaching of social conscience in this thread.

It is about proper balance and common sense. Problem, is our society deals in extremes and moderation is becoming extinct. As for me, I will use my refrigerator to keep my youngest daughter's insulin and our food from spoiling. I keep the AC at 78 in my house, as balance between cool and conserving energy.
15-yard penalty for using common sense on an ideologue!

CCP0006937_P.JPG

Deep Purple

My checks clear too but they only pay for the water treatment system I had to install to clean the water from my well.
Water wells are generally drilled to only 100-500 feet, while fracking is done at well-depths of 1-2 miles with lateral runs of similar distance. To suggest that contaminants from fracked wells leach across that depth and distance, somehow traversing shallower strata that are both gas- and water-impermeable, is pretty improbable.

In cases where underground contaminants have penetrated water wells in Texas, recent evidence suggests the culprit is likely not the newer, deeper, fracked wells of the Barnett Shale, but thousands of older, shallower, conventional oil and gas wells where the well bore was either imperfectly sealed or the well casing has ruptured. This conclusion is supported by the fact that water well contamination has also occurred in West Texas, far beyond the reach of the Barnett Shale, but within an area permeated by many thousands of conventional oil and gas wells.

In Pennsylvania and West Virginia, Marcellus Shale territory, the more likely contaminating culprit is coalbed methane wells, which are relatively shallow wells that tap into methane trapped in coal seams.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Seriously, my building was shaking for about 5-10 seconds. It was 5.8.

Anyone ever been in an earthquake??
When I was stationed near Tokyo, we had small quakes often. One time I was sitting in the bathtub! That was a strange feeling. I thought I might end up in the guy's room on the floor below me. "Splish, splash..."

Froggy Style

At least you're willing to open your mind. I buy hybrid cars, invest in solar panels to run my electricity and eventually my electric car...and vote for those who are willing to fund their research. I'm not for trying to shut down life as we know it, just for people to think twice before sticking their head in the sand to possible solutions. Energy doesn't have to come 100% from current places. There are many people who make their money from the land, make their livelyhood from the crops. When the lakes are dry, how much will your property be worth? Austin won't last three more summers like this. It's been hotter in DFW than Austin. Only a matter of time until it all looks like Lubbock, which is only a bit worse than smelling like Lubbock.

I guess we can just keep burning coal, oil, and natural gas to energize our way of life, or at least consider that it's going to wipe out the water supplies if we don't diversify...or consider that natural gas may not be as "clean" as reported.

Why nobody thinks cause and effect is beyond me. Could it be that the lack of surface water (sucked up by the fracking tankers) causes a lack of rain...and therefor 105 degree temperatures for the entire summer? Regardless of the cause, if I'm on water rations...it's b/s that someone else can make make billions of dollars from taking our water and firing poisonous water into the ground that should be used for the people.

I don't fault people for wanting to enjoy life and build a stadium or run their refrigerator; I just ask that those people look into the options.

My son-in-law was in Charlottesville interviewing students

at the University of Virginia Law School when the earthquake

occurred. The quake's epicenter was in Mineral, Virginia

only 35 miles away. He said it was interesting experience.

Deep Purple

I guess we can just keep burning coal, oil, and natural gas to energize our way of life, or at least consider that it's going to wipe out the water supplies if we don't diversify...or consider that natural gas may not be as "clean" as reported.

Why nobody thinks cause and effect is beyond me. Could it be that the lack of surface water (sucked up by the fracking tankers) causes a lack of rain...and therefor 105 degree temperatures for the entire summer? Regardless of the cause, if I'm on water rations...it's b/s that someone else can make make billions of dollars from taking our water and firing poisonous water into the ground that should be used for the people.

I don't fault people for wanting to enjoy life and build a stadium or run their refrigerator; I just ask that those people look into the options.
This is a much more plausible and reasonable argument than charges of water-well contamination.

I live in far SW Fort Worth, an area that is rife with frack well-drilling. This morning as I was driving out of my neighborhood to go to work, I saw a large tanker truck plugged into a fire hydrant and refilling. It suddenly dawned on me that the suburban city I live in is selling public water to the drilling companies while urging residents to conserve water. It really chapped me.

Froggy Style

This is a much more plausible and reasonable argument than charges of water-well contamination.

I live in far SW Fort Worth, an area that is rife with frack well-drilling. This morning as I was driving out of my neighborhood to go to work, I saw a large tanker truck plugged into a fire hydrant and refilling. It suddenly dawned on me that the suburban city I live in is selling public water to the drilling companies while urging residents to conserve water. It really chapped me.
Are you sure they paid for it?

ftwfrog

Regardless of the cause, if I'm on water rations...it's b/s that someone else can make make billions of dollars from taking our water and firing poisonous water into the ground that should be used for the people.
I wondered the same thing. Why can I only water my yard between the hours of midnight and 6am once a week to increase the value of my home, to instill some pride in my home(you know, all that good warm-blooded American dream stuff), while billionaires can use as much as they want to, anytime they want to.

Are those people helping the economy that much around here if we are in a serious drought, crops are dying, food costs rise, water costs are up for every day people and there is no water in our lakes for recreation which brings money to the local economy??

If you work for Chesapeake, you think one way, if you work for Lake Weatherford Marina and all of our water is gone, you think another :blush:

Froggy Style

If you work for Chesapeake, you think one way, if you work for Lake Weatherford Marina and all of our water is gone, you think another :blush:
Very true. Luckily, I have a choice to switch to other types of energy. Farmers and ranchers can't chose another type of liquid for their crops and herds. When the lakes run dry, so do the rivers. Which means, so do the faucets.