• The KillerFrogs

Herbie says we're overrated........

Lone Frog

Let anyone who wants to badmouth us do it. Like others have said, it just motivates the team more.

Hell, I saw some moron on B/R (yeah, I know, but it's funny) predict we wouldn't even make a bowl this year.

We'll prove them wrong, one game at a time.

And yeah, Boise still has Kellen Moore. Maybe for him, the third time will be the charm and he'll actually manage to throw a touchdown against our defense. But I doubt it.

Frog52

I'm with everyone who says that we haven't done anything yet this year and that we're paper tigers. That said, I'm curious what Patterson's more than normal positive outlook for the season means. No doubt he's had his moments saying we're not practicing well and all of that, but he seems more optimistic about this season than I would have expected from him. We'll see what it all means soon enough.

Houston Frog

Herbie is over rated!
"Your brain has the shell on it"

wj9Eqnxmgnlsvwti1yF8eYRZo1_500.png

JugbandFrog

Until we come through Baylor, AF, BYU and SDSU unscathed, I think he is right. We haven't proven anything yet.. but really I'm surprised that Boise isn't ranked lower considering they lost 2100 receiving yards and 20+ TDs from last year.
But when you have a senior QB and a solid RB, you can do a lot of things that a team with an inexperienced, unproven QB can do.

BogeyGolf7

I think the guys on ESPN are just playing a role at this point
most of their characters are focused on the BCS schools and Boise, and they have been for years
and because of that I don't really care what they say

until a game is played, no one knows anything

okra tex

I don't have a problem with the Herb's comment - he may be accurate. We lost a lot of great & experienced players and new the starters might get off to a very slow start. If we can be undefeated heading to Boise then the pre season rank should be accurate.

FrankDMaynard

Last year we played the 'We're supposed to win it all' card very well. I actually think this team will benefit more from a 'We have to prove it again' role. I think the media helped us out on this one.

I don't have a problem with the Herb's comment - he may be accurate. We lost a lot of great & experienced players and new the starters might get off to a very slow start. If we can be undefeated heading to Boise then the pre season rank should be accurate.

True. However, there is quite a bit of irony in his statements given the fact that teams like Georgia, Tennessee, UCLA, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, Florida State, etc. are frequently overrated in the pre-season polls, yet I don't recall him calling them out like that.

RaiderHater

I don't disagree with his statement about us being rated to high in preseason polls.

But to say we have ZERO chance of beating boise is ridiculous and just being a bad analyst. Our team is way more talented to last year's Nevada team that beat Boise. It's not like Bosie is going to be a 25+ point favorite against us.

Frog Attack II

Regarding Boise, it's not so much Moore that worries me (especially since they lost those 2 great rcvrs)... it's the fact that they have all of those O & D linemen coming back.

As we've seen, that means a lot.

geefrogs

when does being ranked #14 count as overrated? When has anyone looked at a team ranked at #14 and said, no....thats too high.

I would think the overrated talk should refer to teams in the top 10. Get a life Herbie.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
Herbie's still stinging a little from his comment with 7:30 left in the third quarter of the Rose Bowl when he said, and I quote:

"You start getting on these long drives; you talk about fatigue. TCU used to forcing teams three and out. Again, how will they hold up in these longer drives in the second half?"

Seven seconds later...BOOM! Carder levels Tolzien to kill the Wisconsin drive.

You think he'd learn to stop underestimating TCU, but old habits die hard, I guess...

SoonerBredCD

Herbie's still stinging a little from his comment with 7:30 left in the third quarter of the Rose Bowl when he said, and I quote:

"You start getting on these long drives; you talk about fatigue. TCU used to forcing teams three and out. Again, how will they hold up in these longer drives in the second half?"

Seven seconds later...BOOM! Carder levels Tolzien to kill the Wisconsin drive.

You think he'd learn to stop underestimating TCU, but old habits die hard, I guess...

Not sure why Herbstreit's comments are considered such a stretch. With all of these new faces at key positions, I think its safe to say that TCU currently has more questions than answers. Perhaps it would be wise to at least wait until after the Baylor game to see if ol' Herbie is on to something, or not.
'

NubomTurk

Tier 1
Not sure why Herbstreit's comments are considered such a stretch. With all of these new faces at key positions, I think its safe to say that TCU currently has more questions than answers. Perhaps it would be wise to at least wait until after the Baylor game to see if ol' Herbie is on to something, or not.
'
Okay, you caught me. No argument there. We have an untested QB and O-line. A little healthy skepticism is warranted.

The truth is that I just couldn't help re-living my (almost) favorite moment from the Rose Bowl, when The Tank, Baby finally put a stop to Herbie's concern about our poor, undersized defense.

SoonerBredCD

Okay, you caught me. No argument there. We have an untested QB and O-line. A little healthy skepticism is warranted.

The truth is that I just couldn't help re-living my (almost) favorite moment from the Rose Bowl, when The Tank, Baby finally put a stop to Herbie's concern about our poor, undersized defense.

Yeah, there's no denying that Herbstreit has always had Big 10 bias.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Right now, who can argue. We have a new QB who is unproven, no matter who it is.

But just the same, I wonder if the first thing he says about TCU on Gameday will be:

"I'm still looking for that big Wisconsin O line to wear down TCU." Or, "TCU asked for it, now they get their shot at the big boys."

Frog89

'

I don't think it's an unreasonable reaction from TCU fans to think we'll be just fine after being told for the 4th year in a row that we've lost too many different people to maintain our high ranking. In fact, given TCU's recent history, the wise thing may be for Herby to wait and see if TCU actually loses a game or 2 before pronouncing them overrated. But that's just me.

SoonerBredCD

I don't think it's an unreasonable reaction from TCU fans to think we'll be just fine after being told for the 4th year in a row that we've lost too many different people to maintain our high ranking. In fact, given TCU's recent history, the wise thing may be for Herby to wait and see if TCU actually loses a game or 2 before pronouncing them overrated. But that's just me.

4th year in a row? Wasn't TCU a top 10 pre-season pick last year that was picked by most to go undefeated? At least that's how I remember it. I think you guys carry such a huge chip on your shoulders that you find yourselves being disrespected, when there is no disrespect.

Frog89

4th year in a row? Wasn't TCU a top 10 pre-season pick last year that was picked by most to go undefeated? At least that's how I remember it. I think you guys carry such a huge chip on your shoulders that you find yourselves being disrespected, when there is no disrespect.

Relax. I was just explaining the TCU reaction. Last year, despite our preseason ranking, we were coming off a Fiest Bowl loss to Boise and were losing Jerry Hughes and DW. Many on ESPN and other places wondered aloud how that would affect TCU's chances to get back to a BCS game. Most put Boise ahead of us. One ESPN guy even picked Oregon State to win by 3 TDs the first game of the year.. Some even wondered if Baylor had a shot. I shutter to think what the OU board would have looked like if any of those commentators has made similar predictions for the Sooners as a pre-season top 10 team. I suspect, you'd see the same crap over there, only with a slightly more entitled chip on Sooner shoulders than from TCU fans, and probably without the TCU fans coming over there and lecturing them about it afterward.

If you want to go back further than that, to start the 2009 season, people were wondering who the hell this Hughes and Washington guy were and how would they ever replace the guys that came before them, and so on and so on. This isn't new. It's the way sports commentators work, in case you hadn't noticed. Doesn't bother me a bit. We use it every year as motivation.

Houston Frog

Relax. I was just explaining the TCU reaction. Last year, despite our preseason ranking, we were coming off a Fiest Bowl loss to Boise and were losing Jerry Hughes and DW. Many on ESPN and other places wondered aloud how that would affect TCU's chances to get back to a BCS game. Most put Boise ahead of us. One ESPN guy even picked Oregon State to win by 3 TDs the first game of the year.. Some even wondered if Baylor had a shot. I shutter to think what the OU board would have looked like if any of those commentators has made similar predictions for the Sooners as a pre-season top 10 team. I suspect, you'd see the same crap over there, only with a slightly more entitled chip on Sooner shoulders than from TCU fans, and probably without the TCU fans coming over there and lecturing them about it afterward.

If you want to go back further than that, to start the 2009 season, people were wondering who the hell this Hughes and Washington guy were and how would they ever replace the guys that came before them, and so on and so on. This isn't new. It's the way sports commentators work, in case you hadn't noticed. Doesn't bother me a bit. We use it every year as motivation.

Not really important, but Hughes' breakout year was 2008.

Remember the opener against New Mexico where he made like 12 big plays? I remember thinking that he had a good game, but had no idea he was just gonna keep doing it.