• The KillerFrogs

Signing Deadline Thread: Purke Is Done, Cron A Frog?

TCURiggs

I wasnt adamant after fungo provided alot more compelling evidence than "yes he will"

Thought it was 50/50 going in. Guess I should have been lower since the prediction for the offer was 3.5 million early as yesterday . Honestly thought he wouldnt accept lower than 4 million.

Come on now, earlier in the Summer you were VERY adamant. You were saying there's no way in hell he'd get paid that much more over typical slot value, and you were pretty much telling everyone that disagreed how dumb they were for thinking he would. Just b/c fungo set you straight doesn't mean you weren't being an [Craig James] about it beforehand. No need to get mad and call me a [Cowherd] b/c I pointed out your curt.

Young and Horned

Looks like we should be alright offensively. Mitchell will be a solid ace. Just have to feel in behind him. Need to find that shut down closer we can count on again.

FROGDADDY

Looks like we should be alright offensively. Mitchell will be a solid ace. Just have to feel in behind him. Need to find that shut down closer we can count on again.
I would expect that Merck returns strong, barring rehab setbacks of course. As hard as he works, it wouldn't shock me if he returns better than he was prior to the injury.

cdsfrog

Come on now, earlier in the Summer you were VERY adamant. You were saying there's no way in hell he'd get paid that much more over typical slot value, and you were pretty much telling everyone that disagreed how dumb they were for thinking he would. Just b/c fungo set you straight doesn't mean you weren't being an [Craig James] about it beforehand. No need to get mad and call me a [Cowherd] b/c I pointed out your curt.

Nor was there a reason to be a [Cowherd]. But you decided to be one, hence why I said it.

When he was drafted 90+ plus I did not expect him to get the single largest contract ever for a 3rd round pick, millions above slot value with a pick they would have got back next year.

Then again I should have considered the fact that he was drafted by the Nationals who broke the record recently for a 1st rounder with Strausburg recently. I respected Fungo's opinion because unlike others he actually backed it up, and actually knows what he is talking about. Feel free to continue being a prick, I was wrong about Purke as I have said multiple times now. Did get cron right :D

TCURiggs

Nor was there a reason to be a [Cowherd]. But you decided to be one, hence why I said it.

When he was drafted 90+ plus I did not expect him to get the single largest contract ever for a 3rd round pick, millions above slot value with a pick they would have got back next year.

Then again I should have considered the fact that he was drafted by the Nationals who broke the record recently for a 1st rounder with Strausburg recently. I respected Fungo's opinion because unlike others he actually backed it up, and actually knows what he is talking about. Feel free to continue being a prick, I was wrong about Purke as I have said multiple times now. Did get cron right :D

Calling people out for curting is a common practice on this board, you shouldn't take it so personally.

cdsfrog

Calling people out for curting is a common practice on this board, you shouldn't take it so personally.

Curting it was fine. I actually like that phrase and appreciate being it used on me. Overeacted, guess it I was annoyed hearing after I stated I was wrong multiple times.

Many were wrong on picks, Purke signed at nearly the last possible second to an unthinkable deal. Happy to admit I was wrong, as I either wanted him to make lots of $$ or come back. (actually posted that previously). I would say that's a crap load of money. What he did for program was amazing, and I think he has a chance to be very succesful in the majors.

Pretty nervous about pitching next year, but I am excited about the lineup with Cron coming.

Houston Frog

There actually was a reason to be a [Cowherd], and that reason is that you were so confident you were right, and implied anyone who thought the Nats might pay way over slot for him was a complete idiot because no 3rd round picks get that much.

Sure, most 3rd round picks don't get $4MM deals, we all knew that, but this situation was clearly unique and you wanted to look at it like Purke was just any old 3rd rounder. You know why most 3rd rounders don't get 1st round money? Because they are generally 3rd round talents, not 1st round talents. He dropped because he had health concerns and was still demanding 1st round money. The Nats clearly saw a chance to steal a 1st round talent in the 3rd and rolled the dice.

Think about it from the Nationals' perspective, why would they draft Purke in the 3rd round unless they were serious about paying him what he was asking for? Just felt like burning a pick? Of course not. Sure, it was possible that they wouldn't bwe able to reach an agreement, but if the Nats weren't serious about paying him at least close to what he wanted, they wouldn't have burned a pick on him.

TCURiggs

Curting it was fine. I actually like that phrase and appreciate being it used on me. Overeacted, guess it I was annoyed hearing after I stated I was wrong multiple times.

Many were wrong on picks, Purke signed at nearly the last possible second to an unthinkable deal. Happy to admit I was wrong, as I either wanted him to make lots of $$ or come back. (actually posted that previously). I would say that's a crap load of money. What he did for program was amazing, and I think he has a chance to be very succesful in the majors.

Pretty nervous about pitching next year, but I am excited about the lineup with Cron coming.

You? I don't believe it! Just giving you hard time though. It's kind of fun b/c you do overreact so much.

I'm sure we've all been spoiled by having Wink, Max and Purke the last couple of years, but I'm excited to see what we look like next season. Hopefully we'll play some better defense and hit the ball much better (Cron should definitely help with that part). I'm looking forward to seeing how Merck bounces back as well. I like that guy (no homo).

Young and Horned

I would expect that Merck returns strong, barring rehab setbacks of course. As hard as he works, it wouldn't shock me if he returns better than he was prior to the injury.

Oh yah. Lol, completely forgot about him. Will be great to have him back closing games. Thanks for reminding me.

Houston Frog

I could've sworn I read something in the past 24-48 hours that said Merck getting moved to the starting rotation is a possibility. I just looked around for it, but now I can't find it. Did I dream this?

cdsfrog

You? I don't believe it! Just giving you hard time though. It's kind of fun b/c you do overreact so much.

I'm sure we've all been spoiled by having Wink, Max and Purke the last couple of years, but I'm excited to see what we look like next season. Hopefully we'll play some better defense and hit the ball much better (Cron should definitely help with that part). I'm looking forward to seeing how Merck bounces back as well. I like that guy (no homo).

How did this whole (no homo) thing start? I see between you, houstonfrog and a few others?

Spoiled on pitching is true, then again our bats let us down last year. Hopefully this year they pick it up to help compensate for a transition into a new pitching era.

Cant believe we lost our #1, 2 and 3 starters, just crazy.

cdsfrog

It wasn't actually that unthinkable, considering all the circumstances

dead arm issues, considerable loss in velocity, no summer play, total loss of stamina, and the 91st pick to boot

Plenty of reasons to think he wouldnt get the largest contract ever in the 3rd round. Either way, washington must have something they liked, they got dominated at the negoiating table. Early projections on the offer was 2.5 million, then 3 million 1 week ago. 3.5 million was the projection on august 14th. He got a lot more than anyone was anticipating even after they upped their projections twice.

Houston Frog

How did this whole (no homo) thing start? I see between you, houstonfrog and a few others?

Spoiled on pitching is true, then again our bats let us down last year. Hopefully this year they pick it up to help compensate for a transition into a new pitching era.

Cant believe we lost our #1, 2 and 3 starters, just crazy.

It's just something you write when you want to humorously clarify your original statement doesn't mean you're gay. It generally happens when you're talking about a male athlete and how great he looks or something. An example would be below....

"Did you see Reggie Bush run the 40 with no shirt on? His body is phenomenal (no homo)."

I don't specifically know who started it, but probably someone on a sports message board.