• The KillerFrogs

Houston Astros to American League?

anom

I don't know if i really like the proposed playoff idea. 5 teams is a crappy number to make playoffs. Make it 6 like the NFL. 2 byes makes more sense.

SnoSki

I'd like it, as an Astros fan. Divisions are stupid. It would make the tx/hou rivalry better. Potential playoff matchups.

AEAfrog

Don't like the idea. Growing up as an Astros fan also made me a fan of the National League style of play (better pitching, strategy). Send the Brewers back to the AL.

Endless Purple

Prefer the NL. There are other teams that make more sense. So far in the states with multiple teams, those teams are divided between the NL and AL. Why would they suddenly want to drop the state of Texas out of any NL fan base?

ftwfrog

Didn't read anything on the playoff possibility, but I say leave the playoffs the way they are. DO NOT ADD TEAMS TO THE PLAYOFFS!! Heck, if you want every team to make the playoffs go watch the NBA or NHL. It's ridiculous that a team with a sub-.500 record can make it.

As for divisions, the Rangers and fans get screwed by being in the AL West. 9:00 starts for a larger portion of their games is asking a lot of fans. The Rangers, DisAstros, and 3 other central time teams should be paired in a division. You could add the Rockies if need be.

ftwfrog

Prefer the NL. There are other teams that make more sense. So far in the states with multiple teams, those teams are divided between the NL and AL. Why would they suddenly want to drop the state of Texas out of any NL fan base?
The Giants and Dodgers have a great rivalry, of course there are 9 other teams in CA. The only other intra-state, same league teams I could think of are Phillies and Pirates, and nobody really cares about the Pirates, so it's hard to tell.

Endless Purple

The Giants and Dodgers have a great rivalry, of course there are 9 other teams in CA. The only other intra-state, same league teams I could think of are Phillies and Pirates, and nobody really cares about the Pirates, so it's hard to tell.
Yes they do. It is not about it hurting the rivalry. Both in the AL would probably help it grow.

California also has teams in the AL so not a big deal on the Giants/Didgers. We have gone through all these discussions over conference TV exposure. Some of that applies to MLB as well. Having teams from both divisions in each general area helps MLB exposure. If the Astros went to the AL, how much TV time would MLB lose with no NL coverage in Texas?

They may do it, but for as long as they have split teams in the same region over AL/NL I would be a little surprised.

jake102

As an Astros fan, I'd prefer to stay in the NL. I like the rivalry we have had with the Cardinals. It's just unfortunate that the Astros blow right now and have for the past few years.

ftwfrog

As an Astros fan, I'd prefer to stay in the NL. I like the rivalry we have had with the Cardinals. It's just unfortunate that the Astros blow right now and have for the past few years.
The Astros have had a rivalry with the Cardinals, too bad the Cardinals haven't had a rivarly with Houston :biggrin:

jake102

The Astros have had a rivalry with the Cardinals, too bad the Cardinals haven't had a rivarly with Houston :biggrin:

It's been a decent rivalry over the years... we used to roll up on them for years in the 90's, but they've had us for most of the 00's.

ftwfrog

P.S. AL is gay, prefer the NL

cardinalshomos.jpg
[/img]

tetonfrog

It's funny cuz all the Cardinal fans remember Pujols' bomb off Lidge that won the game forget that Oswalt shut 'em down the next game to advance to the World Series. He was money that year.

I'd like to keep the Astros in the NL. It would be a fun rivalry with the Rangers, but I grew up watching us take on the Dodgers, Reds, Cubs and Mets. My brothers and I were Astro buddies back in the late '70s and we had a blast way up in cheap seats in the Dome. I still remember Nolan's triple play that got waved off against the Phillies in the playoffs.

I don't know why anyone in Houston would want to watch us play the Angels, Mariners or A's. Of course, the issue now is nobody wants to watch the Astros, but hopefully that will change soon under Crane. :biggrin:

An-Cap Frog

Dumb! Just another ploy by the players association to keep old rioded-up players active in the league after they have lived their usefulness. The Astros would probably just add another light-footed infielder that couldn't hit his weight.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The only reason the League and ESPN are whupping this out at the present time is that the Astros are being sold to a New Owner, one who may be ready to ingratiate himself with the rest by acceding to this plan. They tried it with McLane when he was a brand new owner, but he didn't bite.