• The KillerFrogs

FWST: East side grandstands added to TCU stadium renovation

The stadium can be brought up to 50,000, but the east side renovation that has been announced is just a replacement of the existing seats. Increasing capacity would require an upper deck on the east side. I haven't seen any indication of that happening in any of the information that has been made available to the public.
Yeah, I don't think this includes the east side upper deck, which is what would bring the capacity to 50ish.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Okay, humor me.

If the west and north was going to reduce the capacity to 40k with nothing done to the east side, then what is all this east side construction going to do, just make it pretty? Add more crappers and concessions? Methinks they'll add a seat or two if they are bringing it down to the same level as the west and rebuild. But I guess it will all come out in the wash...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Okay, humor me.

If the west and north was going to reduce the capacity to 40k with nothing done to the east side, then what is all this east side construction going to do, just make it pretty? Add more crappers and concessions? Methinks they'll add a seat or two if they are bringing it down to the same level as the west and rebuild. But I guess it will all come out in the wash...

Makes the east side match the west side, updates bathrooms and concessions, addresses ADA issues ... is expandable with addition of upper deck.

IamFroglash88

The stadium can be brought up to 50,000, but the east side renovation that has been announced is just a replacement of the existing seats. Increasing capacity would require an upper deck on the east side. I haven't seen any indication of that happening in any of the information that has been made available to the public.

The east side stands would be leveled similarly to the west side, where only the original first 20 rows remain. Concourses would connect the newly constructed north end zone upper deck with both the west and east sides.
Sounds like an upper deck

cdsfrog

The cost of 10-15 million $$ needed (so a total of 35+ mil) for was a full renovation of the east side. Replacing the seats has nowhere near that cost. I agree the article is way too ambiguous but I am fairly certain capacity will be 50k. And of course I reserve to retract this comment at any time :biggrin:

Big Frog II

Well I don't know what the ultimate capacity will be in 2012 or beyond, but the east side will be taken down to the lower 20 rows like the westside, and then new levels to mimic the north and west sides will be constructed. There will be at least two levels on the east side in 2012.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
They should build the Whole Thing as soon as possible. Concrete and construction costs cannot stay this low for too long...

froginaustin

The cost of 10-15 million $$ needed (so a total of 35+ mil) for was a full renovation of the east side. Replacing the seats has nowhere near that cost. I agree the article is way too ambiguous but I am fairly certain capacity will be 50k. And of course I reserve to retract this comment at any time :biggrin:
Del Conte is being vague about the details of what will be built, giving me the impression that TCU may be waiting to see how the last funds raising push goes before deciding whether athletic offices, expanded seating, and other nice stuff will be build this go-round.

If TCU doesn't raise enough money to build to ~50k, they may build what they've been saying they would build all along, ~40k with the infrastructure in place to expand later if needed. And they may be willing to build to only ~40k whether they have the money to go bigger or not, if they are trying to price-support tickets, encourage season ticket sales, and generate more sellouts.

After all, some would argue that a stuffed ~40k-seat stadium has advantages over a ~50k-seat stadium with 42-45k in the seats.

westtexfrog

I know there are artist drawings of "finished" AGC because I have seen some, but I don't have access to them. If anyone has the draings and/or link would you post please?

I could be wrong, but I think if this was the "next step" (i.e. expansion to the full 50K), they would be branding it as such. This sounds like the asthetic re-do of the east stands with the concourse, updated features, etc to match up with the rest of the new stadium we've heard about before. It will also be structurally prepped it for easy 50K expansion in the future.

When I clicked on the article I hoped it was a go ahead for the whole shebang, but nothing is there to suggest so.

halfwaytoheaven

Sounds like an upper deck

Nah. Go look at the renderings again - the little bridge from the North End Zone Upper Deck (officially called the "North Mezzanine" now, apparently) connects to the club level on the West side, not the upper deck. I imagine the new East side will be set up similarly.

ReedFrawg

Nah. Go look at the renderings again - the little bridge from the North End Zone Upper Deck (officially called the "North Mezzanine" now, apparently) connects to the club level on the West side, not the upper deck. I imagine the new East side will be set up similarly.

FWIW...My sources say new capacity after East side reno will be 43K - 45K.