• The KillerFrogs

Retired Numbers at TCU

teamfast1

I don't think Dalton reaches the program altering success of the names on that list, but I think they should find a way to honor him (bronze/framed headshot outside the new stadium possibly). Maybe a Rose Bowl victory statue.... Just my thoughts.

TCUMed

Players tend to get better throughout time. Not sure anyone on this board ever saw Baugh or O'Brien play, but their greatness may have developed more and more over time (not saying they weren't legendary, but I honestly have no idea). While some may not believe Dalton is as legendary as maybe those 2, time may prove that he was. My vote is that his name goes up in the stadium with Lilly, Tomlinson, OBrien and Baugh and number 14 is "hung in the rafters"

Horned Toad

Team, Fear, and Anomaly

Dalton had at least as great an effect on his teams as did Sammy and Davey, and I love me some LT but they aren't even comparable. Back to back 12-0 regular seasons and BCS games, Rose Bowl victory, 3 and 1 in bowl games during career, all time winningest QB in TCU history, etc. Book it on #14 being retired. Only question is the over/under being at 5 years for the retirement ceremony.

TEUFELI

Dalton had at least as great an effect on his teams as did Sammy and Davey, and I love me some LT but they aren't even comparable.

Huh???

Are u even remotely familiar with who LT is? I'm guessing you are 19.

To say that LT's TCU legacy (which does include his hall of fame NFL career & 'ambassadorship') "aren't even comparable"...is retarded.

No offense.

Don't think Andy gets a # retired. Just my opinion, but he isn't quite up there with Davey, Sammy, & LT...

Horned Toad

Huh???

Are u even remotely familiar with who LT is? I'm guessing you are 19.

To say that LT's TCU legacy (which does include his hall of fame NFL career & 'ambassadorship') "aren't even comparable"...is retarded.

No offense.

Don't think Andy gets a # retired. Just my opinion, but he isn't quite up there with Davey, Sammy, & LT...
Add 30 to that number and then you'd be correct. Like I said, I love me some LT but college numbers get retired for what you did in college, not the pros. LT's number got retired at TCU because of what he did at TCU not as a Charger. LT was a god in my eyes and deserved to have his number retired. Dalton will be in the Pantheon of all time great QBs at TCU and his record speaks for itself and is worthy of having his number retired. I've been a witness to a lot of events in TCU football. My best friend in 2nd grade father played with Swink, I went to my first TCU game in 1968, I suffered through the 70's and 80's with TCU football, I went to TCU during Wacker's tenure, I watched the Sun Bowl while at work and shut the whole office down with my cheering, I watched LT set the NCAA rushing record that day against UTEP with another best friend at ACS, went to the Fiesta Bowl last year and saw Dalton lose one of the worse games of his career and went to the Rose Bowl this year and saw him play one of his best ever. In my 43 years of Frog Fandom Dalton is the greatest QB I've ever witnessed at TCU. LT was the greatest RB and both deserve their numbers to be retired.

Trelvis

As far as college careers go and what those players did for TCU, Dalton deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence and deserves to have his number retired. I love L.T. as much as the next guy, but he didnt take TCU to the heights Dalton did.

Horned Toad

As far as college careers go and what those players did for TCU, Dalton deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence and deserves to have his number retired. I love L.T. as much as the next guy, but he didnt take TCU to the heights Dalton did.
Exactly!

Kaiser

It was easier to qualify for the BCS in Daltons time than in LT's. Dalton's success was built on LT saving the program. Dalton didn't win all those games by himself; tons of talent on these TCU teams.

Retire Lilly & Swink first. Shocked they aren't retired yet. Ask me about Dalton in 5 years. If Lilly & Swink couldn't cut it then I'm not sure about Dalton.

Frogdozer

It was easier to qualify for the BCS in Daltons time than in LT's. Dalton's success was built on LT saving the program. Dalton didn't win all those games by himself; tons of talent on these TCU teams.

Retire Lilly & Swink first. Shocked they aren't retired yet. Ask me about Dalton in 5 years. If Lilly & Swink couldn't cut it then I'm not sure about Dalton.

If that's the case, then the current recruiting success which will hopefully lead to on-the-field success should be attributed mostly to Andy. "3 time bowl game MVP" should sum it up. Outside of coaching, Andy was the single most important piece of the puzzle on a team that is statistically the best in the history of the school. There isn't much more that he could've acomplished in his time here.

I believe that legends grow with time, and hopefully the same will hold true for Andy.

PurplePutt

O'Brien had his retired the year after winning the NC and Heisman.

Baugh waited over 50 years before his was retired and he was already an NFL and CFB Hall of Famer.

LT was quick but had established himself as a MVP type player in the NFL.

Retiring numbers (in most cases) is more than just what they did on the field in college. Jim Swink was a Heisman Runner-up. And look what Lilly did and they haven't had their numbers retired.

I love AD. Think he is an unbelievable QB, leader, TCU icon, and person but.......Why don't we wait a few years and see what happens?