• The KillerFrogs

BE rumor is back

TCUdirtbag

this is probably the best case scenario for the big east if the big 12 breaks up. The question will always remain what the Big Ten is going to do. They and the ACC may start poaching Big East schools (KS, Kstate, Iowa State, MO, Pitt, WVU, USF, Rutgers are all possible B10 additions). That would put TT & Baylor in the running (probably along with Houston and UCF) as potential BE members. If the SEC goes to 16 and the BE makes a move to 14-16, the Big Ten probably won't wait around too long. Who knows how the ACC will respond. The Pac 12 won't go beyond 12, so I suspect the AQ conferences will stay intact

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
The question will always remain what the Big Ten is going to do. They and the ACC may start poaching Big East schools (KS, Kstate, Iowa State, MO, Pitt, WVU, USF, Rutgers are all possible B10 additions).

The answer is 'nothing'. The number of schools that can bring enough added value to the Big 10 (and their network) is now very short, and none of those schools are on your list.

The ACC just did a new TV deal so they'd also be less inclined to expand any further.

txfrog87

Know what I like best? Not having to read about TCU being stuck in a dying conferenc. Or being paired with SMU, Rice, North Texas, U of Little Rock, Texas State oir any of the other schools we used to get thrown in with when the MWC collapse stories come out. (No offense to those schools) :)

TCUdirtbag

The answer is 'nothing'. The number of schools that can bring enough added value to the Big 10 (and their network) is now very short, and none of those schools are on your list.

The ACC just did a new TV deal so they'd also be less inclined to expand any further.

If the SEC goes to 16 to effectively crash the Big 12, pressure will mount for the Big Ten to follow with expansion to 14-16. It will turn into a battle for Missouri, and by battle I mean Missouri wants to go to the Big Ten, and is probably their best available option if the Big Ten does expand. If they don't, Missouri will be Big East bound.

As for the ACC---they'll have to move if the SEC poaches one of their teams.

My hope is that the SEC will kill the Big 12 but only take A&M and OU. The Big Ten would go to 14 with Missouri and Pitt. The Big East would go to 14 with TCU (#8 if Pitt is lost), Tech, OSU, Kansas, KState, and Iowa State, and Villanova. If the ACC poaches off 2 BE schools, there's an opening Baylor and one of UCF/Houston. Pretty much everybody ends up happy enough in this scenario and Baylor is the only team at risk of losing AQ status with Nova, UCF, & Houston in a position to gain.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
Can't we have Tech and Baylor in a conference with Wayland Baptist, Abilene Christian, West Texas A&M, and Frank Phillips College? Please?

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
If the SEC goes to 16 to effectively crash the Big 12, pressure will mount for the Big Ten to follow with expansion to 14-16.

Pressure from where? Big 10 does what it wants, on its own time frame. Always has. And they won't expand further unless it grows the financial pie. And the Big 10's revenue streams are already big enough that only the largest rainmakers will do that. About the only schools that can do that anymore are ND and Texas - the chances of that happening are slim. If Missouri did that, they would have been invited last year.

As for the SEC, they won't expand unless ESPN agrees to renegotiate their TV deal-which is for a fixed rights fee and has 13-14 years to go. And ESPN has already indicated they ain't crazy about the superconference concept. Texas A&M and OU might be worth to them because its untapped markets but that may be about it. That wouldn't be enough to pressure the Big 10 into doing anything.

And if the BE gets the kind of TV deal they seem to think they can get, then the ACC isn't a threat.

If the SEC goes to 16 to effectively crash the Big 12, pressure will mount for the Big Ten to follow with expansion to 14-16.

I don't understand that logic. I can maybe see the SEC trying to move into Texas with A&M and OU but unless the Big 10 can get ND or Texas to join, I don't see why the Big 10 would feel compelled to expand just because the SEC did. As RSF said, I think the Big 10 is only interested in expanding more if it can get a really, truly big fish. Notre Dame, Texas, maybe a Florida State. I think the BE only has something to fear from the Big 10 if they can somehow get ND to join and would then almost necessarily need another team to even up the divisions. Then I could see them going for a Rutgers or Missouri, maybe, to move further into different TV market. But I don't see them going that route UNLESS they get a really big fish to join ...

WVUFan

A Post on the WVU rivals site stated a Detroit radio station is reporting OU and A$M are contacting the SEC. I dont know how reliable this is looking in to it.

mtmedlin

Worst article ever....anybody else notice he says Iowa St to the BE but then leaves them off the conference divisions...aslo leaves off Nova. As far as the B10, if they wanted a BE team, they would have taken one...they dont want one! And the ACC poaching a BE team...I dont think so. WIth our new TV contract we will make as much if not more then the ACC. Every estimate has us making at least $12 million if not higher. Why would a team leave the BE to go to an even weaker ACC. Contrary to popular belief the BE top to bottom is stronger then the ACC. Wait and see, the BE will make solid money and the ACC will be left behind. Our network will make more money each year it is on air but the ACC contract will remain stagnant for the next decade.

jbob1011

So this speculation infers that TCU wouldn't have to leave central time to play every conference away game... What would that be like???

WVUFan

Worst article ever....anybody else notice he says Iowa St to the BE but then leaves them off the conference divisions...aslo leaves off Nova. As far as the B10, if they wanted a BE team, they would have taken one...they dont want one! And the ACC poaching a BE team...I dont think so. WIth our new TV contract we will make as much if not more then the ACC. Every estimate has us making at least $12 million if not higher. Why would a team leave the BE to go to an even weaker ACC. Contrary to popular belief the BE top to bottom is stronger then the ACC. Wait and see, the BE will make solid money and the ACC will be left behind. Our network will make more money each year it is on air but the ACC contract will remain stagnant for the next decade.

It is really hard to say what will happen. I doubt A$M will be in B12 much longer. I really depends were the B10 goes if so. IF the go after Maryland and GT as suspected late summer. then BE can pick up some ACC school or attempt to and possible go after BC and ND for the Catholic schools. The BE will be alive after this it is just up in the air. Again there is not link to anything but all that is certain that A$M is not happy they gave up the SEC once and have nothing in return but Big brother takes big money