• The KillerFrogs

Yet Another Rose Bowl Observation Thread...

FrogFrog

1. Jimmy Young was an absolute beast. He reminded me of Dez Bryant fighting for the extra yard on every catch. Young "earned" at least 3 or 4 first downs all on his own. Great final game. We would not have won without him.

2. The Nike shoes slippage was not overblown (sorry GDU). The vast majority of slips appeared to be the new Nike shoes. Odd that we didn't bring a back-up pair.

3. Herbie was fair and balanced. I thought the commentary was good.

4. 100% of Tank's hits were fierce. Unbelievably good game.

5. We win that game 8 out of 10 times. Yes, Wisconsin should have run a little more, but out defense played better after the first quarter. Our offense, however, would get to 35 more often than not.

gdu

1. Jimmy Young was an absolute beast. He reminded me of Dez Bryant fighting for the extra yard on every catch. Young "earned" at least 3 or 4 first downs all on his own. Great final game. We would not have won without him.

2. The Nike shoes slippage was not overblown (sorry GDU). The vast majority of slips appeared to be the new Nike shoes. Odd that we didn't bring a back-up pair.

3. Herbie was fair and balanced. I thought the commentary was good.

4. 100% of Tank's hits were feirce. Unbelievably good game.

5. We win that game 8 out of 10 times. Yes, Wisconsin should have run a little more, but out defense played better after the first quarter. Our offense, however, would get to 35 more often than not.
2. The slipping issue may not have been overblown, but it was not the new shoes. Not one player wearing the new shoes slipped. Everyone who slipped was wearing the old shoes (in the new color scheme). Not sure why this is so difficult for people to understand.

PurplePainD

2. The slipping issue may not have been overblown, but it was not the new shoes. Not one player wearing the new shoes slipped. Everyone who slipped was wearing the old shoes (in the new color scheme). Not sure why this is so difficult for people to understand.

Who gives a rat's [Craig James] about which version of cleat it was. They were both Swoosh, and our equipment managers didn't have back-ups for the players that were slipping. We should be thankful we over came this and won the game without serious injury to any of our players.

Go Frogs

p.s. Quit defending Nike like they are your kid brother

gdu

Who gives a rat's [Craig James] about which version of cleat it was. They were both Swoosh, and our equipment managers didn't have back-ups for the players that were slipping. We should be thankful we over came this and won the game without serious injury to any of our players.

Go Frogs

p.s. Quit defending Nike like they are your kid brother
I didn't, in any way, defend Nike in that post. All I did was correct a mistake of fact.

Is the Erin Andrew's comment the only reason you think we didn't have back-ups?

JugbandFrog

It wasn't the cleats. If you watch some of the slippage, you will notice huge chunks of turf going with it. Slippage is when you have no grip on the surface. We had a good clean grip on the surface, but the surface was not what we needed it to be.

FrogFrog

It wasn't the cleats. If you watch some of the slippage, you will notice huge chunks of turf going with it. Slippage is when you have no grip on the surface. We had a good clean grip on the surface, but the surface was not what we needed it to be.

We slipped far more than Wisconsin did. I believe, however, that both schools played on the same field.

gdu

Dude, you're better than that. Both teams were big and fast. Every NCAA team has players that make cuts. Every NCAA team has players that try to change directions on special teams.
You're right, which is why Wisconsin slipped as well. They don't rely on smaller speedier guys as much as we do which is why it was not as pronounced.

Limey Frog

But Nike is giving our program so much great publicity and attention. Who cares if our players can't run in their cleats?!

Sarcasm aside... the field was in a very bad state and I'm sure that was a major issue. I agree with GDU, play style was a big factor. TCU's whole game plan was built around quick WR cuts. The turf hurt us way more than it hurt Wisconsin. Isn't that why we were all obsessing over the weather forecasts for the week before the game?

Horned Toad

I finally watched my DVR of the game last night, it was just as awesome as it was live by the way. There must have been 10 players slip to every Wisky player that slipped. We would have probably scored at least 14 more points because of all the slippage and those shoes cost us points.

One other observation I had while watching the DVR is that for the first time that I can recall, our purple looked purple and not blue. Is ESPN's HD that much better than CBSCS, VS, or the MTN or did we have a different purple? It looked really good for once.

gdu

Always good for a chuckle. Were you a pitcher in high school that served up 75mph meat?
Why ask a question if you aren't gonig to believe the answer anyways?

I believe I have shown myself to have some insight when it comes to our equipment. Why would you doubt my knowledge on this?

frogyou

Always good for a chuckle. Were you a pitcher in high school that served up 75mph meat?

my guess is gdu got beat out by the kid who 'hit' 75mph.

gdu was the kid trying to tell the catcher how to call the 12 different pitches he threw.

i would tell you how i know this, but i have been asked not to say anything.

PurplePainD

my guess is gdu got beat out by the kid who 'hit' 75mph.

gdu was the kid trying to tell the catcher how to call the 12 different pitches he threw [after the ball leaves the yard].

i would tell you how i know this, but i have been asked not to say anything.

Edit, fixed this for you

FrogFrog

FWIW (not much), I tend to believe GDU. He's shown that he has some inside knowledge. If he says we brought back-up cleats, I bet he's right. He and I just disagree on the effect the cleats had.