• The KillerFrogs

I'll be damned.

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Ok 55 passes

But let me ask this.....

He's obviously a better decision maker than Morris, has a stronger more accurate arm than Morris, he's a QUICKER release and more decisive QB......

How the hell did the TCU Offensive coaches have Morris as the starter over Hoover?? Hoover obviously is a better QB, especially with some reps.
Even the picks weren't really his fault.

This kid could be unbelievable with more 1st team reps and games!!!!

Hell, THROW the ball all you want!

Frogfam4

BYU's defensive game plan revolved around stopping the run. BYU played a five-man front with one safety and man coverage on the WRs.
They challenge Hoover to beat them and he did. Future opponents aren't going to do that.
Let's see how he does against a defense that throws varied coverages against him before he's anointed the next great QB.
He’s shown more this game and his limited time this season to show he is more than capable. I felt very good with him at QB today, more than I ever have with Morris.

CountryFrog

Hoover was great today. Everyone should be super optimistic about his future and even his present. He was remarkably poised and seemed to have total command. Really only made one bad decision the whole game in 58 passes. It was a remarkable performance.

That said it's going to get a lot harder going forward. New QB's often have the easiest time in their first start when the opponent has no film on them. Next 2 games are on the road against presumably better competition (well at least KSU is better, not so sure about Tech) and they'll have a better idea how to defend him.

Not trying to minimize anything Josh did today but let's see what he does these next two weeks before making any real definitive judgments about him. Also need receiver play to keep getting better. They had 2 alignment errors that led to penalties plus a false start and about 6 drops. The special teams [ clusterfarg ] also needs to keep being better. It was great seeing Kell make some kicks but the rest of the unit was pretty blah.

Great win overall though. Going in I was just hoping to win one more game and now suddenly I'm thinking 7 or 8 wins isn't totally out of the question. It was a fun day.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
BYU's defensive game plan revolved around stopping the run. BYU played a five-man front with one safety and man coverage on the WRs.
They challenge Hoover to beat them and he did. Future opponents aren't going to do that.
Let's see how he does against a defense that throws varied coverages against him before he's anointed the next great QB.
Except we do have a ground game and now a deep threat which has been missing all year. Basically Hoover turned this offense into a major threat that will keep DCs up at night.

Chongo94

I don’t think anyone is saying he’s the second coming just yet but he really looked far more self assured and comfortable than Morris ever has. He also made reads quicker than Morris does.

For me, given that Morris hasn’t looked that great, and has gotten injured the last 2-3 years, just let Hoover start the rest of the year and see what happens. If it works, great, if it doesn’t, let the Aledo kid take the reins.

Frogfam4

Hoover was great today. Everyone should be super optimistic about his future and even his present. He was remarkably poised and seemed to have total command. Really only made one bad decision the whole game in 58 passes. It was a remarkable performance.

That said it's going to get a lot harder going forward. New QB's often have the easiest time in their first start when the opponent has no film on them. Next 2 games are on the road against presumably better competition (well at least KSU is better, not so sure about Tech) and they'll have a better idea how to defend him.

Not trying to minimize anything Josh did today but let's see what he does these next two weeks before making any real definitive judgments about him. Also need receiver play to keep getting better. They had 2 alignment errors that led to penalties plus a false start and about 6 drops. The special teams [ clusterfarg ] also needs to keep being better. It was great seeing Kell make some kicks but the rest of the unit was pretty blah.

Great win overall though. Going in I was just hoping to win one more game and now suddenly I'm thinking 7 or 8 wins isn't totally out of the question. It was a fun day.
I agree it will get tougher because of the teams coming up, and yes it was his 1st start. But, he has played in games and teams did have film on him. I know it was limited action but in division 1 football coaches can see what players do well and don’t do well. The kid threw the ball a ton of times tonight and made the right decision on most of them. He is a baller and is a better QB than what they had. I am excited for his development. I’ve seen enough of him this season and in high school to know he can play

CountryFrog

I don’t think anyone is saying he’s the second coming just yet but he really looked far more self assured and comfortable than Morris ever has. He also made reads quicker than Morris does.

For me, given that Morris hasn’t looked that great, and has gotten injured the last 2-3 years, just let Hoover start the rest of the year and see what happens. If it works, great, if it doesn’t, let the Aledo kid take the reins.
I don't think there's any question that if they were both healthy then you would have to ride with Hoover next week and see what happens. Obviously Morris isn't healthy anyway and hopefully Josh plays so well these next few games that there's no decision to be made even if/when Chandler does get healthy.

As far as looking far more comfortable than Morris, I agree if we're only looking at this year. Actually though I'd say that Morris against Baylor in 2021 looked similarly comfortable, capable, and decisive.I remember having all the same thoughts about him after that game that I'm having about Josh right now. So we'll see where it goes from here. Hopefully this is just the beginning.

CountryFrog

I agree it will get tougher because of the teams coming up, and yes it was his 1st start. But, he has played in games and teams did have film on him. I know it was limited action but in division 1 football coaches can see what players do well and don’t do well. The kid threw the ball a ton of times tonight and made the right decision on most of them. He is a baller and is a better QB than what they had. I am excited for his development. I’ve seen enough of him this season and in high school to know he can play
He played a quarter and a half against Iowa St. The Nichols game is totally meaningless. So there was very limited film. Clearly whatever BYU saw they didn't have much respect for him because their entire game plan was built around stopping the run. That ended up being a big mistake by them obviously. K-State isn't going to make that same mistake after what we saw today.

But yea he was great today and was nearly flawless in both his decision making and execution. Hopefully he'll be great again next week. It would be nice to see the rest of the team around him continue playing better as well.

Sangria Wine

Chandler Morris is a great young man. A coaches kid who does all the right things and competes his butt off. And has a dad that is incredibly connected to a lot of notable and powerful folks in general and certainly in the football world. Chandler is going to be a successful guy when his playing days are over. All that said, I just don’t think that it’s been a match made in heaven between he and TCU Football. I truly have no idea why. It just hasn’t gelled in some ways. He’s very clearly had injury issues. But, sometimes the universe just doesn’t align for whatever reason. It’s time to stop forcing this connection for the best interest of both parties.

Completely agree with all that. DC's will definitely take note of what he looked most comfortable doing and try to take that away. CSD talked this week and post game about how much effort he puts into preparation so hopefully that pays dividends when he is confronted with those inevitable adjustments. And yes, still too many drops and even with Kell getting back on track, ST were the worst unit on the field--again.

Toad Jones

Ok 55 passes

But let me ask this.....

He's obviously a better decision maker than Morris, has a stronger more accurate arm than Morris, he's a QUICKER release and more decisive QB......

How the hell did the TCU Offensive coaches have Morris as the starter over Hoover?? Hoover obviously is a better QB, especially with some reps.
Even the picks weren't really his fault.

This kid could be unbelievable with more 1st team reps and games!!!!

Hell, THROW the ball all you want!
The best question since six pm today. My confidence level in this staff has dropped steadily, today it's not even on the page. I can't find it at all. Evidently, common sense in observation is somewhere other than in Ft. Worth!!!

No denying Hoover is 65% better than Morris. The other item that was IMMEDIATELY apparent, the kids played better!. Looked like they wanted to be better than the other team. Even the defence looked confident!

What's the reason for stupidly in decision application??!!

Hemingway

He played a quarter and a half against Iowa St. The Nichols game is totally meaningless. So there was very limited film. Clearly whatever BYU saw they didn't have much respect for him because their entire game plan was built around stopping the run. That ended up being a big mistake by them obviously. K-State isn't going to make that same mistake after what we saw today.

But yea he was great today and was nearly flawless in both his decision making and execution. Hopefully he'll be great again next week. It would be nice to see the rest of the team around him continue playing better as well.
Let’s be a little fair here. The week of Iowa state , he wasn’t running practice with the 1s and wasn’t practicing with being the starter in his head (big difference). Yeah, no film to be had on him. Should be interesting now that most of the gimme games are gone now, geez HCSD. I mean SD just has blinders on when dealing the Morris. That whole coaching fraternity secret handshake crap basically cost us 3 avoidable losses. I hope he gets pounded with questions all year now.