• The KillerFrogs

103 degrees now long range forecast for Sept. 2nd...

Heading to NYC this morning for a quick trip and cooler temps. I'll be back Friday in time for PRIME BUFF BEAT DOWN.

Any restaurant suggestions? I'm staying in Lower East Side of Manhattan.
IL Cortile, 125 Mulberry. Real Italian food in little Italy. Just don’t ask a bunch of questions, if you know what I mean. Just kidding, but crazy Joe Gallo did get whacked down the street at Umberto’s Clam House in the 1970’s.

Dogfrog

IL Cortile, 125 Mulberry. Real Italian food in little Italy. Just don’t ask a bunch of questions, if you know what I mean. Just kidding, but crazy Joe Gallo did get whacked down the street at Umberto’s Clam House in the 1970’s.
I ate at Umberto’s years ago. I spent lots of time over many years in NYC but haven’t been back since covid so I hesitate making suggestions. Also, NYC has turned into such a changing restaurant scene, it’s hard to know. I would probably eat at an old reliable survivor near that neighborhood like Pete’s Tavern, then ask the bartender.

I ate at Umberto’s years ago. I spent lots of time over many years in NYC but haven’t been back since covid so I hesitate making suggestions. Also, NYC has turned into such a changing restaurant scene, it’s hard to know. I would probably eat at an old reliable survivor near that neighborhood like Pete’s Tavern, then ask the bartender.
Old school places still the best and most seem to have survived COVID. In 2019, they opened a Bob’s Steakhouse up on 52nd but I think it is gone now. Nice while it lasted for us Texans.

Favorite steakhouse in NYC is Keens. Still open and I’m sure still excellent, a little north of Lower East Side.
I wish I could remember the name of the steakhouse we used to go to pre- 9-11. It was in the Meat District and it was just a red door. If you did not know what it was, there was no signage of any type. Same for the cheesecake place (S&S Cheesecake) in the Bronx, just a door in the old days. Now they can Fed Ex you that great cheesecake in a couple of days.

Eight

I wish I could remember the name of the steakhouse we used to go to pre- 9-11. It was in the Meat District and it was just a red door. If you did not know what it was, there was no signage of any type. Same for the cheesecake place (S&S Cheesecake) in the Bronx, just a door in the old days. Now they can Fed Ex you that great cheesecake in a couple of days.

just for clarification sake was that the "meat" district or the "meet" district behind the red door?

Deep Purple

Heading to NYC this morning for a quick trip and cooler temps.
Between TCU career and previous career, been there on business about 20-25 times. Not a fan of the place. It's crowded, dirty, and in summer it's muggy and gritty.

Any restaurant suggestions? I'm staying in Lower East Side of Manhattan.
For lunch, you might try Katz's Delicatessen on the Lower East Side. Very famous old Jewish deli (opened 1888) with monster subs, sandwiches, and matzo ball soup. If you saw the movie When Harry Met Sally, Katz's is where director Rob Reiner filmed Meg Ryan's famous fake orgasm scene.

hometown frog

Between TCU career and previous career, been there on business about 20-25 times. Not a fan of the place. It's crowded, dirty, and in summer it's muggy and gritty.

For lunch, you might try Katz's Delicatessen on the Lower East Side. Very famous old Jewish deli (opened 1888) with monster subs, sandwiches, and matzo ball soup. If you saw the movie When Harry Met Sally, Katz's is where director Rob Reiner filmed Meg Ryan's famous fake orgasm scene.
Did you have what she’s having?

Double D

Tier 1
Thank you Deep. Ya my hotel is right by Katz's on Ludlow St.

If memory serves, that door was green...

The Stage Deli and the Carnegie Deli are both gone! There is a place called Di Palo’s over on Grand, right off Mulberry in Little Italy. Not really a deli but the cheeses and meats are unbelievable. The only place in DFW that carries anything like what Di Palo’s has is Jimmy’s over in Dallas.

Deep Purple

Thank you Deep. Ya my hotel is right by Katz's on Ludlow St.
Nice.

During one of my too-many visits to Crudson on the Hudson, there was a sanitation workers strike. Putrid garbage was piled up on the sidewalks and streets in small mountain ranges 7-8 feet high. For blocks on end, the odor would gag a maggot.

In the subway, I saw platoons of rats that looked as big as armadillos. And brazen. No fear at all. They'd scamper right over your feet and sit on your shoes.

Once while driving in Manhattan, I wasn't certain of my directions, so at traffic light I asked help from a cabbie in the adjacent lane. He said, "Turn left at the next light." So I moved to the left lane and, at the light, discovered the street was one-way to the right.

On another trip, I forgot my watch (pre-mobile phones), so I asked the time of a guy on the street. His reply: "Whatsamatta, you too cheap to buy a watch?"

On my last 5-6 visits to the Rotten Apple, the place was somewhat cleaner and more orderly, and the people seemed to be making more of an effort to act like human beings. This was while the new mayor (Giuliani I think, but not sure) was campaigning to clean up the city, crack down on crime, and persuade the people to behave more hospitably. He mostly succeeded by pointing out it was just good business. Tourism and business travel are a major revenue source for the city.

Last visit was on a business trip in 2015. My son was living there for a year in Queens, and one of my favorite nephews (sister's son) was living there permanently in Manhattan. Must admit, that was the trip I probably saw New York at its best. During the 80s-90s, it was an absolute cesspool. Seems so much better now -- but that's still a relative term. "Better" compared to what?

Deep Jr moved back to Texas shortly before my trip, but I still arranged to meet and have primo steaks and after-dinner whiskey shots with my nephew -- all on me, of course. We had one hell of a time. No whiskey costing $15 a shot or less was off the menu.

The following year, 2016, he was murdered in his tiny midtown Manhattan apartment. The NYPD never discovered any trace of the killer(s).

Last edited: