• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

CountryFrog

I hear ya but comparing Sunday Ticket subs is really apples to oranges....Sunday Ticket was only available to DTV subscribers who were down to 10m subs in 2022, plus it was priced at 3x the expected P12 price. There are over 4 million students and living alumni from the 9 remaining Pac-12 schools, so if marketed right, nothing was out of reach. Had the Pac-12 said yes to Apple, I would have placed good money in Vegas that the Pac-12 would have been in better TV position then the Big 12 when both deals end at the end of the decade. The new Big 12 TV is nothing special, BY settled for 70 cents on the dollar on this new deal, but it turned out to be genius because it effectively killed the P12. I'm not sure we will be looking at this new TV deal with as much fondness when it nears its completion.
So why did the previous PAC 12 TV deal, which was largely based on selling subs to the PAC 12 Network, fail so badly if there are so many people out there who want to pay to watch PAC games? And again that was with USC and UCLA.

You sound like you're getting your talking points directly from George Kliavkoff or the Washington St AD. "If marketed right, nothing was out of reach." LMAO

Frozen Frog

I believe there is still a very lucrative streaming TV rights deal available to a conference if it is willing to explore it. Part of the problem with these stand alone platforms is the lack of content. The Big Ten probably is the best due to sheer volume of content. The SEC Network was/is crap. The Longhorn Network had to fill time with watching cattle graze. The way you could make it work is to create a network that shows sporting events while also showing other programming. Then that could be sold to other providers. With Apple maybe it’s a game followed by a reality show where students work to payoff their student debt.

peacock

So why did the previous PAC 12 TV deal, which was largely based on selling subs to the PAC 12 Network, fail so badly if there are so many people out there who want to pay to watch PAC games? And again that was with USC and UCLA.

You sound like you're getting your talking points directly from George Kliavkoff or the Washington St AD. "If marketed right, nothing was out of reach." LMAO
not defending Kliavkoff or the Pac-12 at all, they screwed this up ten ways til Sunday but after reading the Apple deal I was very intrigued by its potential and could have been a better deal then the B12 in the long term.

There were no subs to sell for Pac-12 Network it followed the traditional linear network and relied on cable and satellite carriage for its revenue. You can not buy a Pac-12 network subscription as a stand along option. Larry Scott really screwed up two things…he stupidly agreed to a favored nation clause in his deal with the top cable companies which effectively prevented them from being on DirecTV and he stupidly agreed to a 12 year deal instead of a six year deal which put the conference in an awful situation financially for the final half of the contract.

peacock

I believe there is still a very lucrative streaming TV rights deal available to a conference if it is willing to explore it. Part of the problem with these stand alone platforms is the lack of content. The Big Ten probably is the best due to sheer volume of content. The SEC Network was/is crap. The Longhorn Network had to fill time with watching cattle graze. The way you could make it work is to create a network that shows sporting events while also showing other programming. Then that could be sold to other providers. With Apple maybe it’s a game followed by a reality show where students work to payoff their student debt.
The potential of streaming is off the charts imagine a TCU game on Apple TV where one stream has the traditional game broadcast, another stream has the TCU radio call, another could be the all-22, another could be a manning style cast hosted by LT, think the ESPN megacast for every Big 12 game. I hood BY sit downs with Apple.

Endless Purple

There is potential for the many different angles and views from a streaming aspect, but not sure many will want that if it is extra work to get it. I think it comes down to viewing habits and viewing options. If they could combine the streaming benefits with a broadcast option, I think there would be better success as people learn the options and what has value to them. Overall many issues though.
- Are people getting tired of needing three, four, five viewing options for streaming and cable? streaming overload..
- How do you handle it for a bar situation?
- How do you handle switching channels to get the viewers that are not primarily for that school to happen upon that game?

Chongo94

I hear ya but comparing Sunday Ticket subs is really apples to oranges....Sunday Ticket was only available to DTV subscribers who were down to 10m subs in 2022, plus it was priced at 3x the expected P12 price. There are over 4 million students and living alumni from the 9 remaining Pac-12 schools, so if marketed right, nothing was out of reach. Had the Pac-12 said yes to Apple, I would have placed good money in Vegas that the Pac-12 would have been in better TV position then the Big 12 when both deals end at the end of the decade. The new Big 12 TV is nothing special, BY settled for 70 cents on the dollar on this new deal, but it turned out to be genius because it effectively killed the P12. I'm not sure we will be looking at this new TV deal with as much fondness when it nears its completion.
Mannnnn, you are in your own reality if you’re really thinking the PAC had a chance with the Apple deal.

MLS just brought in arguably the greatest soccer player to ever play the game and STILL, by most recent accounts I believe, hasn’t gotten to a million subs. That’s one of the fastest growing sports in the states, with possibly the greatest player of all time in its league, and they’re not seeing much movement.

You’re telling me that the PAC, which has struggled for relevancy the last decade anyway, would suddenly increase its viability, popularity, and legitimacy by moving to Apple….the same company that couldn’t even figure out its own audio issues for Messi’s reveal….?

alabama football nationalchampionship GIF by Twitter

Limey Frog

Apple was covering football and hoops production costs . Schools were on the hook for non revenue sports just like b12 with ESPN plus

I might be wrong but I think this whole realignment is going to be a disaster for all the Pac-12 schools they would have been a ton more relevant if they had rolled the dice, taken the Apple deal and stay together. It was a irrational rash decision to appease their chicken little “sky is falling” boosters who were worried they couldn’t find Apple TV on their remote.

I don't think the Four Corner schools will end up worse off; I think they're a good fit in a solid conference that has better upside than the wounded Pac 10.

As for the ACC, four-ish schools stonewalling expansion sounds eerily familiar, doesn't it? Assume Clemson, FSU, Miami, and UNC are playing the Oklahoma, Texas, USC, UCLA role here.

Last edited:

fanatical frog

I don't think the Four Corner schools will end up worse off; I think they're a good fit in a solid conference that had better upside than the wounded Pac 10.

As for the ACC, four-ish schools stonewalling expansion sounds eerily familiar, doesn't it? Assume Clemson, FSU, Miami, and UNC are playing the Oklahoma, Texas, USC, UCLA role here.
Hadn't considered that, but it could very well be. If that is the case then Clemson, FSU, Miami and UNC are probably only attending meetings via ZOOM....for their own safety.

the attitude you are portraying to country is the very reason why no one wants to open their doors to stanford if they have a choice in the matter
Having briefly been in this business the word Hooker, Prostitute, ho, etc. are very offensive to me. I ran a classy business and was known as, “The Love Broker.” My [hundinnen ] were known as love fulfillment consultants.

Last edited:

Purp

Yeah, that's really true. Baylor comes close because we've had some meaningful games in recent years but I don't consider them a hated rival. And I don't feel the need to play Tech or OK State every single year.
If you don't have serious sports hate and even regular hate for Baylor you're doing it all wrong and probably not paying attention very well. Darn Baylor forevermore. Same for Tech.

Purp

Baylor has blown way past SMU in the rivalry list. So has Tech.
Very low bar. For 20 years SMU has been little more than an annoying mosquito with the agility of a fly. Every once in a while he bites you when you aren't looking and gets away before you can swat him.

Baylor has gone from pomposity and an unearned superiority complex derived from it's "gig boy conference" affiliation to basketball school that has to cover up murder to win to football school that has to cover up rape to win to finally hiring a football coach who is hard to hate while the fan base retains the pomposity they always had from the beginning. Pompous people suck, but it's an insufferable trait in a super-dork.

My Baylor hate will always be higher than any TCU fan's SMU hate ever reached in our history. And in the last 20 years, it's not even close enough to talk about.