• The KillerFrogs

I'd still rather have ASU, Arizona and Utah............

fanatical frog

Agree on all counts. I'm not particularly excited about playing UCF as such, but they have the best long-term potential as a football program of any new addition. I'm also glad for an excuse to roll a trip to Busch Gardens with my kid into a TCU football weekend sometime.

In terms of football, Ohio is the Texas of the Midwest: no one cares more. Yes, Ohio State is the gorilla, but you could say the same thing about TCU and our home state. Do we "bring the state of Texas"? No more or less than Cincinnati brings Ohio.

BYU is a no-brainer. I have as much sports hate for those guys as anyone who isn't a Utah fan, but they're a huge brand and you have to respect their history. I can't wait to be playing them again.

Houston is an old SWC rival with an actual pulse in football: the only program that fits that description and either isn't already in the Big 12 or doesn't want to be in. Texas, Aggie, and Arkansas are gone forever; SMU and Rice are worthless. I'm all for Houston.

We're in a good spot. It's about to get a little better and might get a whole lot better if the Big Ten is stupid.
Cinci is in a great football area with a fertile recruiting ground and they were doing great things when Luke Fickell was there. I was not surprised to see Fickell leave but was disappointed. I'm pulling for the new coach to continue doing great things with the program......all I'm saying is the jury is still out on him.

PurpleSouthpaw

Colorado, ASU/Arizona, Utah......

Cincinnatti, UCF, BYU......

All good places for trips and Golf.

Washington would be great for their wine country and Golf.... but Seattle is not near as nice or safe as it was 4 years ago.

Oregon.......Ehhhhhh - A Bunch of libs

UConn....... who cares?!!
If we are basing conference additions for vacation hotspots, then lets add Hawaii while we are at it. Otherwise, this is dumb. Also the entire PNW is a gorgeous area as much as any other place.

Bottom line, you want brand value and money in the conference. Oregon is the big get you want at all cost, then Washington and Arizona. I don't care if Oregon and Washington bolt for the Big 10 in a few years, they provide security, value, and prestige to the Big 12 immediately. Plus, by the time they leave, the ACC might be blowing up for new teams to come on the market. You are leaving money on the table otherwise, just because you think they aren't going to stay for long.

UConn is thrown around a lot because Yormark has a strong belief that college hoops are undervalued and that would also get the conference into the New York market. I think the intent is anticipating that conferences will start negotiating media deals for basketball separate from football, making more money for the conferences with the strongest basketball programs.

Big 12 in no way can compete on a brand value basis with the Big 10 or the SEC in football, so having the strongest basketball media deal would be most effective in closing that gap. If that's the strategy, then Arizona and UConn are huge programs to add to that end.

Cougar/Frog

Cincy might be on the way down, but I doubt it. Cincy has reloaded at head coach multiple times. Cincy has a CFP appearance. Ohio has great high school football.

The 4 additions saved the B12 at the time. BY was able to jump ahead with the media deal and great leadership and now those days of ESPN encouraging the AAC to raid the Hateful 8 are long gone.

Yes, the P12 could have raided the B12 back then, but the P12 problem at the top (presidents) is why it became the victim and isn't the killer here.

Eight

dana last season sounded very much like patterson in 2021, he was exceptionally negative, bordering on bitter in talking about his team and the players failing to respond

this spring and summer he has continued that tone in talking about nil and his roster getting raided and losing a starting offensive lineman and running back

the only reason dana is still around is his ties to the money launderer and i would not be surprised to see a change in houston in the next couple of years

I think some ACC teams are in play. Florida State, Cllemson, Miami, they can’t afoot to make that much less money for multiple years. I think they are willing to jump ship and litigate the GOR.

Limey Frog

dana last season sounded very much like patterson in 2021, he was exceptionally negative, bordering on bitter in talking about his team and the players failing to respond

this spring and summer he has continued that tone in talking about nil and his roster getting raided and losing a starting offensive lineman and running back

the only reason dana is still around is his ties to the money launderer and i would not be surprised to see a change in houston in the next couple of years
I think Houston, Cincinnati and WVU are all trending down in the immediate term. They'll be the basement of the league this year. Probably Brown and Dana are both replaced. Satterfield I don't think is going to work out--the guy after a legend seldom does, unless he's a walking god like Sonny Dykes--but Cincinnati will have to ride that train for a few years at least.

jack the frog

He's about had it. Starting to see some of that from Gundy now also.

The Bad Guy

I don’t have any. We had to make a move and obviously is paid off. If the PAC did what we did, we are probably in the same boat as them now.

BYU was a no brainer, UCF is a solid program with a lot of room for growth. Houston and Cincy are okay and I feel like don’t hurt us and definitely help with basketball.

How strong will the buyers remorse be for rushing into the Dollar Store to take BYU, UCF and UH be, the PAC 12 migration comes to fruition? I think Cincinnati is a good thing for WVU and is kind of wash. Being forced to play BYU andUH is like being forced to remarry an ex you can’t stand and then brings along her plain Jane sister to live with us to me…

06DallasFrog

Have heard speculation from the talking heads that state officials in both Oregon and Washington do not want Oregon State and Wash State left behind. All speculation.

fanatical frog

LHCGP was burned out by 2020 much less 2021. I believe Dana is also burned out and would much rather spend time with Jimmy Buffett than put in extra long hours trying to figure out how to make his team better.

PurpleSouthpaw

Have heard speculation from the talking heads that state officials in both Oregon and Washington do not want Oregon State and Wash State left behind. All speculation.
Yeah, we have heard this story before with every expansion move. I wonder how that turned out for OU/Okie St.? Or the fact that the Texas legislature does not handcuff the state schools together with any moves. Kansas and Kansas St. aren't linked together either, as Kansas was being shopped by the Big 10 briefly. I'll believe a state legislature blocking a conference move when it happens.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yeah, we have heard this story before with every expansion move. I wonder how that turned out for OU/Okie St.? Or the fact that the Texas legislature does not handcuff the state schools together with any moves. Kansas and Kansas St. aren't linked together either, as Kansas was being shopped by the Big 10 briefly. I'll believe a state legislature blocking a conference move when it happens.
It's just politicians bloviating. It's like a weird mating call...

y2kFrog

How strong will the buyers remorse be for rushing into the Dollar Store to take BYU, UCF and UH be, the PAC 12 migration comes to fruition? I think Cincinnati is a good thing for WVU and is kind of wash. Being forced to play BYU andUH is like being forced to remarry an ex you can’t stand and then brings along her plain Jane sister to live with us to me…

It’s about adding media markets, not a good teams. Look at B1G business model. They added USC. UCLA, Rutgers and Maryland. USC is the only real good team out of the bunch, Rutgers and Maryland are terrible and UCLA has a very underwhelming history. It was all about adding the number 1 and 2 media markets to maximize the biggest possible TV deal. Side story that is why the B1G doesn’t care that much about Oregon and Washington. For the Big 12 adding UH, UCF was about getting access to Houston and the Florida media. The PAC was all worried about research institutions not media markets. That is why it is not dying.

Deep Purple

If we are basing conference additions for vacation hotspots, then lets add Hawaii while we are at it. Otherwise, this is dumb. Also the entire PNW is a gorgeous area as much as any other place.

Always have the same thought when folks bring local vacation attractions like scenery, bars, restaurants, amusement parks, activities, etc into a discussion about why a particular expansion candidate would make a "nice add to the conference." Who cares about the local entertainment/vacation attractions? Is that what an athletic conference is really about?

I mean it's a nice travelog, but has absolutely zero relevance to any factor that makes a program a desirable or undesirable addition. Has ESPN/Fox sold their Big 12 media rights to The Travel Channel?

vacation vacay GIF by Gwinnett Stripers

tetonfrog

If this is true, then B12 picks UA, ASU & either UU/UConn. There is no room for OSU & WSU without diluting the $ pool.