• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
The Pac 12 has Stephen Abootman leading their negotiations.
mgid:arc:imageassetref:shared.southpark.us.en:66f1a6ca-844a-4e36-8737-b584a5c993f1

mgid:arc:imageassetref:shared.southpark.us.en:ce3cac4e-ec26-11e0-aca6-0026b9414f30

82 Frog Fever

They will "have a better framework" in three weeks. Is this enough for Colorado and Arizona to jump ship? No fall back to SDSU in the next 24 hours.
SDSU knows exactly what the PAC deal is and they know what the odds are of improving it.

SDSU only makes $4m/year in the Mountain West

SDSU is making a statement that the differential between $4m (MtnW.) and the discounted cash flows of the PAC10 media deal going forward are not worth $34m.
…and the PAC10 doesn’t have the money to help them out.
That statement says the current deal is very bad, and the prospects for improving it are not that great.

I bet Col. & Az. announce to the B12 in the next 2 weeks, as
PAC 12 media days are 3 weeks away

Endless Purple

It is what TV wants more than what do the SEC and Big 10 want. All I care about is TCU, which will be in the big time however this shakes out.
Disagree.

All the talk about ESPN controls the decisions for the conferences sounds about as accurate as all the "streaming is the future and cable is dead" that I've been hearing over the last 5 years - How is that working out for the PAC. The media will say what they will pay, and the conferences decide what is best for them. They do not just sit and do what they are told be ESPN and FOX.

82 Frog Fever

Big 12 dropping the news of the long-form contract being finalized is just perfect. The presidents of Colorado and Arizona now have the full fine print of a TV deal to consider. Isn't that what they've been waiting for? If you believe you're going to see one from Kliavkoff, that's on you. It ain't coming.
A better “framework“ in 3 weeks. It’s just flippin’ incredible!

Their media days are in 3 weeks. That should be a celebration/pep rally of sorts for the schools and their bright prospects for the season & future. Instead it‘s going to be an endless clown show Q&A on the PAC Dream Deal.

Those schools should be livid at this.

Limey Frog

A better “framework“ in 3 weeks. It’s just flippin’ incredible!

Their media days are in 3 weeks. That should be a celebration/pep rally of sorts for the schools and their bright prospects for the season & future. Instead it‘s going to be an endless clown show Q&A on the PAC Dream Deal.

Those schools should be livid at this.
I read that it will be done by Christmas.

Well, actually *checks notes*, turns out TV executives take a Christmas vacation, which we hadn't anticipated, so it will be done in early January.

HG73

Disagree.

All the talk about ESPN controls the decisions for the conferences sounds about as accurate as all the "streaming is the future and cable is dead" that I've been hearing over the last 5 years - How is that working out for the PAC. The media will say what they will pay, and the conferences decide what is best for them. They do not just sit and do what they are told be ESPN and FOX.
Uh, but they do. The mouse tells the conferences how much they will pay for each team. Sure, the conferences can say no, but who doesn't want/need money? When the boss hands you a paycheck do you say no? Mouse is the boss.

82 Frog Fever

Disagree.

Absolutely, they’re not controllers, they’re heavy influencers that hold the purse strings.

It‘s a weird give and take relationship between the media and the conferences.
The problem is the conferences are not united. They are separate entities looking for the biggest money tree. As a result, there are lots of back room side deals in which ESPN tries to pull strings. They are major manipulators that often get their way.

Endless Purple

Uh, but they do. The mouse tells the conferences how much they will pay for each team. Sure, the conferences can say no, but who doesn't want/need money? When the boss hands you a paycheck do you say no? Mouse is the boss.
Uh, many people tell their boss no on work all the time. I have turned down many offers to work. Someone says they will pay me to do some work on a Saturday in October, I might very well say no if I am going to the football game.

But if you never say no, I will pay you $50 to drive me to and from the Colorado game when the season starts. Your not going to say no are you?

Yes, the "mouse" tells what they will pay for each team, but the conference makes the yes or no for a team. They have influence and provide information for the conferences to provide an informed decision.

Endless Purple

Absolutely, they’re not controllers, they’re heavy influencers that hold the purse strings.

It‘s a weird give and take relationship between the media and the conferences.
The problem is the conferences are not united. They are separate entities looking for the biggest money tree. As a result, there are lots of back room side deals in which ESPN tries to pull strings. They are major manipulators that often get their way.
Never said the media did not have influence. Just that the conferences make their decisions based upon different offers. Otherwise if the media dictated, the PAC would have a higher paying all streaming deal already signed.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Uh, many people tell their boss no on work all the time. I have turned down many offers to work. Someone says they will pay me to do some work on a Saturday in October, I might very well say no if I am going to the football game.

But if you never say no, I will pay you $50 to drive me to and from the Colorado game when the season starts. Your not going to say no are you?

Yes, the "mouse" tells what they will pay for each team, but the conference makes the yes or no for a team. They have influence and provide information for the conferences to provide an informed decision.
O.K. Let's say that there is ONE place to work. What do you do then? Perhaps there are TWO, and neither considers you to be worth much. This is where the PAC is right now, and they are wishcasting that the circumstances are somehow different. But, it is what it is, and no amount of slapstick prestidigitation by the increasingly ridiculous Kliavkoff will change the facts.

The Networks pay the bills, and they have decided that the PAC is pretty much worthless. Thus, they are not willing to pony up much cash for their product. And, after frantically scrabbling about, they have discovered that there are no other bidders willing to pay more. The clock is running out, and the chairs are all on fire.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
OutKick

San Diego State Not Leaving MWC Amid PAC-12 Chaos

San Diego State will NOT be leaving the Mountain West Conference after months of speculation the Aztecs would be on the move. SDSU was the PAC-12's top...

Last edited: