• The KillerFrogs

Bro Bible: Parents Are Speaking Out Against Colorado Football Coach Deion Sanders And His Treatment Of Players

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Parents Are Speaking Out Against Colorado Football Coach Deion Sanders And His Treatment Of Players​

Story by Garrett Carr

AA1amMVt.img

Deion Sanders has been on a mission ever since the Colorado Buffaloes hired him as their head football coach in early December 2022. The NFL Hall of Fame cornerback and former Jackson State head coach knew he had a lot of work to do as the coach at Colorado, who went an abysmal 1-11 last year. Many of the losses were embarrassing, including three straight blowout losses to end the season.

There was not a lot of talent on the roster to say the least, and Deion Sanders, made it known at his first team meeting at Colorado when he said this:

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...ders-and-his-treatment-of-players/ar-AA1amsFP

BleedNPurple

Deion is a gimmick. Some kids may be Svengali’d and have it work for them. There’s a difference between blowing up a team and destroying one. I knew he wouldn’t be a good fit here. He may make it work in Co but right now it looks like it’s going to take several seasons to build a team.

Putt4Purple

Deion is a gimmick. Some kids may be Svengali’d and have it work for them. There’s a difference between blowing up a team and destroying one. I knew he wouldn’t be a good fit here. He may make it work in Co but right now it looks like it’s going to take several seasons to build a team.
The only caveat I would throw in is maybe a couple of years instead of several. This NIL has changed everything. We shall all see how it plays out. This is new territory for all the schools. I like his approach to life and trying to teach young men. Discipline. I went through it and survived. Its all about the approach. Some people want and appreciate it, some don't. We shall see. Hopefully NOT on September 2nd! Go Frogs!

Zubaz

I'm really of mixed minds. On the one hand, I understand why Deion is cutting those guys. We all saw Colorado play last year, they were basically an FCS team. They were beyond bad. Look at the players that are being asked to leave, look at their profiles. It's not like those kids are being asked to leave at ending up at Oregon. They aren't FBS caliber players, let alone P5 players. He's absolutely right that if he wants to win, it won't be with those guys.

On the other, he's doing stuff out loud that is supposed to be behind closed doors, and he's trying to do it all at once. The Pac-12 was one of the first conferences to guarantee 4 year scholarships, meaning you aren't supposed to be able to cut a guy in the middle of his career. Now, we know that coaches have conversations with players every year that amounts to "Look, you know where you are on the depth chart, I know it's not going to improve, maybe you should see what's out there and see if you can't get a better opportunity somewhere else.", and that's fine. But like.....don't just tell a kid he stinks and Billy Beane ax him, this isn't [supposed to be] the pros. It seems like he's basically trying to do a two year rebuild. Get what he can from the portal this year, recruit and portal up next year to be in a position in 2024.

That was always the risk with someone like Deion. He's a pro guy, not a college guy. I don't think he really gets the ins and outs of working under this sort of system, and I'm guessing he is going to run afoul of the NCAA regs on what you can and can't do with *wink wink* "student atho-letes".

Wexahu

I'm really of mixed minds. On the one hand, I understand why Deion is cutting those guys. We all saw Colorado play last year, they were basically an FCS team. They were beyond bad. Look at the players that are being asked to leave, look at their profiles. It's not like those kids are being asked to leave at ending up at Oregon. They aren't FBS caliber players, let alone P5 players. He's absolutely right that if he wants to win, it won't be with those guys.

On the other, he's doing stuff out loud that is supposed to be behind closed doors, and he's trying to do it all at once. The Pac-12 was one of the first conferences to guarantee 4 year scholarships, meaning you aren't supposed to be able to cut a guy in the middle of his career. Now, we know that coaches have conversations with players every year that amounts to "Look, you know where you are on the depth chart, I know it's not going to improve, maybe you should see what's out there and see if you can't get a better opportunity somewhere else.", and that's fine. But like.....don't just tell a kid he stinks and Billy Beane ax him, this isn't [supposed to be] the pros. It seems like he's basically trying to do a two year rebuild. Get what he can from the portal this year, recruit and portal up next year to be in a position in 2024.

That was always the risk with someone like Deion. He's a pro guy, not a college guy. I don't think he really gets the ins and outs of working under this sort of system, and I'm guessing he is going to run afoul of the NCAA regs on what you can and can't do with *wink wink* "student atho-letes".
I don't disagree with his approach at times, but whenever he puts out those videos of him talking to his team I can't figure out whether he's mentoring them or trying to remind them all how great he was.

A lot of 40's and 50's something guys think he's the greatest thing ever but none of these kids ever saw him play. I just wonder how long you can mix good, strong discipline with that almost total lack of humility that he has, seems like that could really wear thin with kids after awhile.

hometown frog

Not sure why anybody is surprised w the number of players portaling out of Colorado. He said as much would happen in his intro team meeting. The people using this week as ‘proof’ that their opinion that he would fail was correct arent being truthful right now. While it is kinda surprising a lot of dudes did it the Monday after the spring game, it’s not a shock that he’s flipping over half the roster. He had to. As other said, they weren’t physically good and they certainly weren’t mentally good to survive in an all in style program he commands.
I said it when he was hired and i still believe it. They will be bowl eligible within 2 years. (I initially said they’d be .500 this year, but I’ll throttle that back because I’m not convinced his son can be a P5 starting qb.).
deion has his faults, but getting 80 something young men to commit to something larger than themselves isn’t one of them. He’s phenomenal in that department and he will get those players there by the fall.

Wexahu

Not sure why anybody is surprised w the number of players portaling out of Colorado. He said as much would happen in his intro team meeting. The people using this week as ‘proof’ that their opinion that he would fail was correct arent being truthful right now. While it is kinda surprising a lot of dudes did it the Monday after the spring game, it’s not a shock that he’s flipping over half the roster. He had to. As other said, they weren’t physically good and they certainly weren’t mentally good to survive in an all in style program he commands.
I said it when he was hired and i still believe it. They will be bowl eligible within 2 years. (I initially said they’d be .500 this year, but I’ll throttle that back because I’m not convinced his son can be a P5 starting qb.).
deion has his faults, but getting 80 something young men to commit to something larger than themselves isn’t one of them. He’s phenomenal in that department and he will get those players there by the fall.
How do you know this? Because he won at Jackson State?

Zubaz

I don't disagree with his approach at times, but whenever he puts out those videos of him talking to his team I can't figure out whether he's mentoring them or trying to remind them all how great he was.

A lot of 40's and 50's something guys think he's the greatest thing ever but none of these kids ever saw him play. I just wonder how long you can mix good, strong discipline with that almost total lack of humility that he has, seems like that could really wear thin with kids after awhile.
It's the second one. He's always been a brand guy. Like I'm sure he'll be happy if someone does well, but he's not singularly dedicated to those kids at all.

On the second point, the only thing I can think of is that discipline isn't his job. His job is to hire the guys that will instill the good, strong discipline. The whole "CEO coach" approach thing.

Eight

one key point and that is sanders was an nfl player and not an nfl coach or front office member

the only things that he has tried to build before are a failed uncredentialed charter school whose academic standards were so screwed up colleges would not accept the transcript of some prime prep "graduates" and his 2 1/2 year stint at jackson state

the idea of tearing it down to the studs and starting over sounds good if you know what you are doing , but he has never done this before and building a program is a damn site more than coaching a football team

who is guiding him through this process? brewster? the oc who has 5-years as a mediocre hc coach at kent state?

people say they are sure deion knows what he is doing, but based on what? the tough talk? the my way or the highway old school crap? the dog and pony show he has put on for boulder?

talked to a couple of retired coaches and he better be careful who he tries to poach because no one gave a [ Finebaum ] when he did it at jsu. he has already crossed the line a couple of times and while he might do aflac commercials with saban he doesn't have bama's sway or nick's rings to cover he and brewster and sunseri's [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]

Wexahu

It's the second one. He's always been a brand guy. Like I'm sure he'll be happy if someone does well, but he's not singularly dedicated to those kids at all.

On the second point, the only thing I can think of is that discipline isn't his job. His job is to hire the guys that will instill the good, strong discipline. The whole "CEO coach" approach thing.
Like when he has "PRIME" instead of the UC Buffalo logo emblazoned on his coaching vest/jacket?

LOL, and SMH.

Dogfrog

I may be wrong but I have a feeling Deion is there primarily for Shedeur. Maybe Shedeur will do well, but if not I have doubts Deion is willing to bench him. It will be interesting.

Eight

he is phenomenal based upon what?

his 2 1/2 season's at jsu, jim wacker won multiple titles before tcu and was out of his depth at tcu

all that dog and pony goes out the window when the season comes around and when you pulled a roster of mercenaries which they are trying to build we will see how big that buy in is after the first five weeks of their season

FrogCop19

100% this.

If you go back, I'm not sure I've ever seen him wear a Jackson State shirt/hoodie, and I'm POSITIVE I've never seen him wear a CU hoodie or shirt. It's all Prime, all the time.

I ain't hard 2 find.
PRIME.
Gold whistle.

***Edited to say I went back and looked and yes, there are images of him at games/practices wearing JSU stuff, so I stand corrected. But the Prime stuff just irks me.

He's Coach Sanders unless he gets his name legally changed.

Wexahu

Even if Prime flames out he will most likely have turned the program around with regards to talent, alumni engagement and excitement. The next coach would be walking into a much better situation.

They needed a major reset and they are getting it.
I look at it kind of the opposite of that. The biggest negative IMO of TCU potentially hiring him was what he would potentially leave behind. If he doesn't do well and needs to be let go, rest assured it's not going to be Prime's fault. He's building the entire program around his brand, Coach Prime. Once Coach Prime leaves, what is left?

I think he could potentially leave behind a bigger dumpster fire than he inherited.