• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Limey Frog

This is very interesting.

Big 12 athletic directors believe their "all-in" number -- including revenue from the College Football Playoff, bowl games and the NCAA Tournament -- will be around $50 million annually in the new deal.

"I still think our number is going to be more than 50," said Robbins.

That might the first time that claim has been made in the Pac-12.
Why is it the president of the school that is most intrigued by the Big 12 who is publicly giving a number right now? No one in the Pac has publicly given a number. Canzano, who is basically Kliavkoff's mouthpiece, said that "only maybe half-a-dozen people really know the state of the negotiations" (in other words: all the numbers being thrown around are rumor; we're not saying any number). Now, right before Kliavkoff makes his official presentation to the presidents, it's the Arizona president saying unambiguously, "don't worry, George will make sure we get $50M/yr. total"... That seems very pointed to me.

82 Frog Fever

The Monty Show is a hack and I wouldn't take anything he says seriously. He's thrown out other stuff that has been completely wrong.
I’d definitely be interested to know what specific stuff they’ve been completely wrong about?

They’ve been saying for months, with the possible exception of Az., there is no team that wants to leave for the B12.
However, every school President has a responsibility to form their own backup action plan, as the current media deal is 70%+ streaming with Amazon and/or Apple, & ESPN @ $22-$25m and it hasn’t budged in a month.
Now they say Utah academia is currently in power and they don’t believe Utah is a B12 fit academically, which could certainly change, but makes perfect sense when you have one of the top competing med schools.

I’ll make sure to follow up at a later date to see if they‘re right, or if you are.

East Coast

Tier 1
bold move to lock down those overlooked eastern washington, nw idaho, and se british columbia media markets
While this looks really bad on the face of it, you do realize that Washington State's football ratings are higher than Arizona's, Arizona State's, and Colorado's combined ratings? They have a pretty darn loyal fan base. They wouldn't be my first choice, but they also get you into the Pacific time zone.

Wexahu

Yikes!
If the media deal is crap, I’d be more inclined to invite Az. & ASU only (Col. as a backup); then just sit back as the remaining P10 schools become more desperate with each passing day.

View attachment 13973
This. I don't see why you'd have to add more than two. Any two really as long as one of them isn't Oregon State or WSU.

Adding Gonzaga would be so boneheaded I can't believe it's even a possibility. Might as well add UNLV since they were good in basketball in the early 90's. Actually, UNLV right now even while they aren't good in hoops would be a better add than Gonzaga IMO.

Last edited:

82 Frog Fever

While this looks really bad on the face of it, you do realize that Washington State's football ratings are higher than Arizona's, Arizona State's, and Colorado's combined ratings? They have a pretty darn loyal fan base. They wouldn't be my first choice, but they also get you into the Pacific time zone.
If you look at the total package in team “desirability“ rankings it would be a disaster.
There are currently 69 P5 teams. The B12 already has 3 out of the last 4, we certainly don’t need 5 out of the last 6.

At some point, adding schools just waters down your product. Personally, unless Wash. & Oregon are involved, I believe 2 is all we need. After that, the B12 can be more picky as to who they invite.

Attachments

• 797CE2F2-88E3-4001-80A2-A1BF94E2F661.jpeg
    797CE2F2-88E3-4001-80A2-A1BF94E2F661.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 36
  • F21A0796-A3D0-4C9C-B9BB-81C6B6F5C9BC.png
    F21A0796-A3D0-4C9C-B9BB-81C6B6F5C9BC.png
    415.2 KB · Views: 34
  • A2722522-3D92-421D-A686-91D9DED1C292.png
    A2722522-3D92-421D-A686-91D9DED1C292.png
    393.7 KB · Views: 36

Wexahu

If you look at the total package in team “desirability“ rankings it would be a disaster.
There are currently 69 P5 teams. The B12 already has 3 out of the last 4, we certainly don’t need 5 out of the last 6.

At some point, adding schools just waters down your product. Personally, unless Wash. & Oregon are involved, I believe 2 is all we need. After that, the B12 can be more picky as to who they invite.
Not that I disagree with your overall point, but that's a pretty stupid list. No way KU and Houston are the two least attractive. No way Illinois is #59. No way Rutgers is #65, Missouri is #53, Iowa State #27 (how the hell is Iowa State that much more attractive than Mizzou), Miami #25, Stanford #17....Wisconsin #7? And Northwestern is higher than Nebraska, Arkansas, Minnesota, Kentucky and Purdue, among others. LOL.

froginmn

Not that I disagree with your overall point, but that's a pretty stupid list. No way KU and Houston are the two least attractive. No way Illinois is #59. No way Rutgers is #65, Missouri is #53, Iowa State #27 (how the hell is Iowa State that much more attractive than Mizzou), Miami #25, Stanford #17....Wisconsin #7? And Northwestern is higher than Nebraska, Arkansas, Minnesota, Kentucky and Purdue, among others. LOL.
Our football rank is 22, right behind Mississippi State and UCF.

Texas and Aggie are tied a couple spots behind Oklahoma State.

Somebody's making [ Finebaum ] up.

Eight

source of those tables?

Limey Frog

I’d definitely be interested to know what specific stuff they’ve been completely wrong about?

They’ve been saying for months, with the possible exception of Az., there is no team that wants to leave for the B12.
However, every school President has a responsibility to form their own backup action plan, as the current media deal is 70%+ streaming with Amazon and/or Apple, & ESPN @ $22-$25m and it hasn’t budged in a month.
Now they say Utah academia is currently in power and they don’t believe Utah is a B12 fit academically, which could certainly change, but makes perfect sense when you have one of the top competing med schools.

I’ll make sure to follow up at a later date to see if they‘re right, or if you are.
Monte is either talking to the Utah AD, who would absolutely deny that if asked, or he's full of poo. He certainly acts with complete confidence as though it's the former.

On the "desirability rankings": desire is subjective. The 'Four Corner' schools bring the things we want; Wazzu probably doesn't.

Eight

yes, wife's family has cougs in it and late fall to winter in the pnw no one is going outside unlike the desert or the mountains

the fanbase is soooooo loyal their athletic department has been running in the red for years and their home attendance is not good

their alums/fans tune in, but don't spend or turn out, consider their athletic department is 80-100 million in debt

Virginia Frog

Mean Purple

Technically BYU is the bigger school (31K undergrads, 34K total; Utah has 24K undergrads and 32K total). BYU also has a legit national following being the Notre Dame of Mormons.
yup. I always root for UTAH over BYU and some others. UTAH has a great atmosphere. But BYU on a Saturday night big game can dang near, almost match the intensity of a Penn State white out. On other games though, they have spotty attending at best.

Mean Purple

Utah and Colorado or Utah and Arizona State.

Mean Purple

This is very interesting.

Why is it the president of the school that is most intrigued by the Big 12 who is publicly giving a number right now? No one in the Pac has publicly given a number. Canzano, who is basically Kliavkoff's mouthpiece, said that "only maybe half-a-dozen people really know the state of the negotiations" (in other words: all the numbers being thrown around are rumor; we're not saying any number). Now, right before Kliavkoff makes his official presentation to the presidents, it's the Arizona president saying unambiguously, "don't worry, George will make sure we get $50M/yr. total"... That seems very pointed to me.
This is like a ballistics table. They have fewer teams and may get a boost of money per team that way, but I would bet any media deal they get is gonna have some caveats. "Knock down power" aint always knock down power. The target is going to move for them. Not favorably.

HG73

1. Gonzaga is probably contingent on adding PAC schools. Travel much easier with closer schools.

2. TV contract not nearly as important as GOR. Reason the money is so low is 7 of the teams are dying to leave. And W&O won't sign anyway.

3. Really tired of the PAC teams disparaging Big12 academics. So what if WV is rated low. And OSU. Tech. KSU. UH. UCF. Okay.

4. Utah won't come because of Big12 academics. Hilarious. They will do anything to stay attached to Stanford. BYU is ecstatic. They hate Utah worse than we hate Baylor.

5. Regarding all this research crap, does anyone really believe they get research contracts because they are in a football conference? Really? All that business will leave immediately if they change football conferences? Ask any of those department heads where they get research money. They will say they have extensive contacts in the industry, market aggressively and have good facilities. A football conference? They'll laugh.