• The KillerFrogs

FrogsToday: Eddie Lampkin steps away from TCU basketball

Dogfrog

Notice I said sustained success....In regards to football, the outliers are the Sun Bowl, the Rose Bowl, the Peach Bowl, the Alamo Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl....But in between those stellar occasions, there are mediocre spans which inevitably put a drain on recruiting....The NIT seemed to be the resurrecting event for men's basketball, then there was Hawai'i....Women's basketball was getting good (although I admit it was against lesser talent than in the Big 12), and Mitte messed up...and that program hasn't really recovered yet....I hate to see it, but times and tempers of the times will likely result in a search for different basketball leadership on the men's side...which will result in a 3-4 year reconstruction, if at all....
No offense but this seems a little off the rails, at least based on what we know so far.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
There seems to be some very unstable individuals posting on Instagram these days. What a shame that what goes on behind the scenes has to be made SO public in such an embarrassing way. I always liked Lampkin and thought he brought a lot of energy and fun and passion to the game, but this exchange and his mother's exchange - it is really ugly - no matter what is going on. This is no way to handle your business.
I get that feeling but in today's age of mis-and-dis-information, a lot of people especially younger people, feel that they need to start establishing their perspective of the truth first, before someone tries to spin it all the other way.

I wouldn't myself, but I definitely understand it.

Wexahu

I get that feeling but in today's age of mis-and-dis-information, a lot of people especially younger people, feel that they need to start establishing their perspective of the truth first, before someone tries to spin it all the other way.

There are about a million ways to handle it better than this. Well, maybe not a million, but a lot.

Froglaw

Notice I said sustained success....In regards to football, the outliers are the Sun Bowl, the Rose Bowl, the Peach Bowl, the Alamo Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl....But in between those stellar occasions, there are mediocre spans which inevitably put a drain on recruiting....The NIT seemed to be the resurrecting event for men's basketball, then there was Hawai'i....Women's basketball was getting good (although I admit it was against lesser talent than in the Big 12), and Mitte messed up...and that program hasn't really recovered yet....I hate to see it, but times and tempers of the times will likely result in a search for different basketball leadership on the men's side...which will result in a 3-4 year reconstruction, if at all....

Go eat a rock!

LisaLT

Yes, that does appear to be the case. But the mother? I'm not sure what the family dynamic is in the Lampkin household, and I know his mother has lost one (or two?) sons to violence, which might make her very very protective of Eddie, but lashing out on Instagram often backfires. I hope for everyone's sake these posts get deleted, but it seems they are just getting started.

The WORST part is this may become a HUGE distraction for the rest of the team as we head into the NCAA tournament. For all we know, that could be their MO.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
There seems to be some very unstable individuals posting on Instagram these days. What a shame that what goes on behind the scenes has to be made SO public in such an embarrassing way. I always liked Lampkin and thought he brought a lot of energy and fun and passion to the game, but this exchange and his mother's exchange - it is really ugly - no matter what is going on. This is no way to handle your business.
Without knowing what is really going on, it seems to be a little immature. Lampkin was made a focal point of the team. Seemed to be loved by everyone, team, fans, etc. Obviously what goes on behind the scenes could be troubling or an issue so I guess we will see what comes to light. But right now disappointed in Lamp and the family. Especially doing this at this time.

Wexahu

It is a shame the Eddie and his family feel like CJD did not hear him or address his needs.

However, to publicly attack CJD and TCU the day before the tournament and three days before selection Sunday is incredibly selfish and childlike in their behavior.
Agreed.

The level of writing just from a grammatical and sentence structure standpoint is something else. But oh well, I guess that's just how we communicate these days.

It is a shame the Eddie and his family feel like CJD did not hear him or address his needs.

However, to publicly attack CJD and TCU the day before the tournament and three days before selection Sunday is incredibly selfish and childlike in their behavior.
He claims he loves his teammates and fans but he is now hurting his teammates and school taking this public in the most important time of their two-year career together, all building to this March Madness. And appears one assistant coach is trying to figure it out, and was caught off guard with his disappearance. So seems he is either being narcissistic and selfish or he is mentally ill right now and unable to think clearly.

His text suggests illness (“I wanted to kill myself”). We know he is demonstrative on the court and with his fans, and we thought it was appealing but maybe it is associated with a mental struggle. And maybe Dixon and staff have been dealing with this for a long time and are tired and were hoping he moves on after this season—Lampkin having become a time consuming distraction. We know he is now.

I remember in a late summer interview Dixon stated that Eddie had missed summer practice time and needs to be on the court or else he quickly gets out of shape.

Lampkin could have taken these complaints to the AD after the tournament, but if mentally ill then compassion is much needed. Maybe his mother, Vanessa, is wiser and not ill and did not know about the public posting by Eddie, though her phone appears to have been used to post those texts on Instagram, sheesh. And she is disparaging and threatening Dixon via text, jeepers, right before her son’s teammates and coaches need to have full focus on the tournaments.

Last edited:

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Incredibly immature posting his emotional baggage and half-baked accusations in public on IG & others, especially right now. Mom sounds like a big part of the problem.
Time to cut bait and next man up.
You sound like you've made up your mind about the situation already. Care to share your inside knowledge??

We don't know anything about the situation. And yes, it is jarring - but what if he's right? What if something along these lines IS going on - whether it's a misunderstanding or a massive secret? You gonna feel that way about him still? It's too early to pass judgment.

I'll say it again, people of his age have grown up in an era of public figures denying even provable truths because spin wins nowadays, it seems. Frankly, someone his age and in his position (player for institution, not part of leadership of institution) might have a completely legitimate concern about the spin machine making him look in the wrong even if he is not. So he puts things out there that show there is more than one side to the story.