• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Eight

question for those who either work or have contacts in the industry

does the ongoing collapse of the rsn model sound warnings about even bigger changes in the dollars available for content? is more a cautionary tale about the importance of spending your money wisely? not applicable? or something else...

82 Frog Fever

question for those who either work or have contacts in the industry

does the ongoing collapse of the rsn model sound warnings about even bigger changes in the dollars available for content? is more a cautionary tale about the importance of spending your money wisely? not applicable? or something else...
You lost me at “work”.

Endless Purple

If they are looking at two more, I would not be surprised to see Washington and Standford/Cal. I think the B1G is the one conference that pays attention to the academics, and Oregon is borderline on keeping AAU. I see Oregon being the next Nebraska. Plus their network would benefit more from the Bay area over the state of Oregon.

Limey Frog

Anyone else think Utah could really be hosed here? I mean, the Big XII does not need that media market since we took BYU.
Depends what the Big Ten does. If they were to take further schools at this point, and those were only Oregon and Washington, maybe the Big 12 ends up with the Arizonas and Cal/Stanford. But that's a lot of contingencies.

If they were smart rather than arrogant, elitist, and in denial, Utah and Colorado would jump now rather than wait for the hammer to fall and risk ending up in the MWC. I don't see it myself, though. Revisit the first few paragraphs of this piece: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...explain-leagues-struggle-to-land-rights-deal/

ESPN's chief executive said that networks want rivalries. Utah-BYU is the kind of 'property' that any conference would have to be crazy not to want (and, yes, the Pac 12 is crazy because they didn't).

Limey Frog

What is "Saturday Out West"? Is it/they reliable at all?
Who knows? It's not a major site and you never know what "industry sources" means. Could be a top executive at Fox, who would know; could be a mid-level suit at the ACC Network, who wouldn't; could be anything in between. I don't put stock in anything until it's reported by a reputable journalist who you know is talking to the bigwigs, and maybe not even then.

Deep Purple

Depends what the Big Ten does. If they were to take further schools at this point, and those were only Oregon and Washington, maybe the Big 12 ends up with the Arizonas and Cal/Stanford. But that's a lot of contingencies.

If they were smart rather than arrogant, elitist, and in denial, Utah and Colorado would jump now rather than wait for the hammer to fall and risk ending up in the MWC. I don't see it myself, though. Revisit the first few paragraphs of this piece: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...explain-leagues-struggle-to-land-rights-deal/

ESPN's chief executive said that networks want rivalries. Utah-BYU is the kind of 'property' that any conference would have to be crazy not to want (and, yes, the Pac 12 is crazy because they didn't).

Cal/Stanford are much too academically snobbish to ever join an athletic conference containing schools like Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Houston, or Cincinnati. Probably also too "woke" to join a conference with church-related schools like TCU, Baylor, and BYU.

ShreveFrog

why the hell would they do that?

outside of water polo what does cal bring to the table and don't say the bay area
That seemed to be the conclusion of the larger article that was linked to the article. That the BiG wasn’t finished expanding with the PAC and if they go beyond Wash and Oregon, they would prolly want Cal and Stan. Academics and all.

Limey Frog

Cal/Stanford are much too academically snobbish to ever join an athletic conference containing schools like Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Houston, or Cincinnati. Probably also too "woke" to join a conference with church-related schools like TCU, Baylor, and BYU.
I agree. They never would. I was only giving a hypothetical scenario in which Utah would be screwed, but as I said, I don't see that happening. I expect the Big 12 to add the four schools most commonly mentioned, or nobody.