• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU hiring Baylor ex Kendal Briles will test Sonny Dykes’ goodwill with fans

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU hiring Baylor ex Kendal Briles will test Sonny Dykes’ goodwill with fans​

Story by Chuck Carlton, The Dallas Morning News

iu

Until that nightmarish national championship game, coach Sonny Dykes seemed to have a Midas touch in his first season at TCU.

Everything he touched, every move he orchestrated, every call he made turned to gold for the Horned Frogs and their fans. Well, at least until the 65-7 loss to Georgia.

Even that did little to tarnish the most memorable TCU season since World War II.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...st-sonny-dykes-goodwill-with-fans/ar-AA16xfn3

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Hence my characterization of the timing of this hire as "cynical and opportunistic." Sonny knew he'd be able to get away with hiring a Briles in the glamorous wake of the National Championship, and he has. Enough people have checked their memories (and principles) at the door to support the hire. Thus, it is a fait accompli.

Doesn't mean that there is a sizeable number of people who are appalled, and will continue to be appalled that such a person is on the TCU payroll.

Brog

Hence my characterization of the timing of this hire as "cynical and opportunistic." Sonny knew he'd be able to get away with hiring a Briles in the glamorous wake of the National Championship, and he has. Enough people have checked their memories (and principles) at the door to support the hire. Thus, it is a fait accompli.

Doesn't mean that there is a sizeable number of people who are appalled, and will continue to be appalled that such a person is on the TCU payroll.
Does this mean that you believe that until this hiring there was no "such a person" among the 2,000 or so currently on the TCU payroll?

cctcu

I will not buy any tks to TCU games with this stinking hire. There are probably much better choices out there than this one, and if this is because Dykes is close friends with Art the Warden then what's in store here in the near future? Everyone is entitled to their opinion - you have mine.

Frog-in-law1995

I think the timing of the hire being after the Natty had more to do with the fact that that’s when the previous guy left. Could be wrong, though.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I think the timing of the hire being after the Natty had more to do with the fact that that’s when the previous guy left. Could be wrong, though.
The timer started when Riley let SD know he was out of there (And, judging by our performance in the NC, that was 1/2/23). However, SD had his own list of replacement candidates in his head early on. The Whelp of Art was number one on the runway, and there weren't any others.

Creeperfrog

please tell me you are merely trolling and didn't actually have this thought?
I did say "any possible way" idk. I just threw it out there. They could be best friends and Kendall asked to come on board. Idk why he would leave his team to come here

I get dfw is better recruiting than ark, but its not like he was in trouble over there

Frog-in-law1995

The timer started when Riley let SD know he was out of there (And, judging by our performance in the NC, that was 1/2/23). However, SD had his own list of replacement candidates in his head early on. The Whelp of Art was number one on the runway, and there weren't any others.
You’re not making any sense. You called the timing of the hire “cynical and opportunistic” on Sonny’s part. How is that so? Are you suggesting he should have hired a replacement before the Georgia game? Waited longer? What?