• The KillerFrogs

Patterson’s exodus and what could have been…

texasrobster1997

Can you imagine if the split was more amicable and GP was currently helping our defense prepare for Michigan? Man that would have been awesome. This season would have added to his legacy. He could even take partial credit for adding a level on “the pyramid.”

Good life lesson on the importance of leaving well and not burning bridges. Such a missed opportunity.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Can you imagine if the split was more amicable and GP was currently helping our defense prepare for Michigan? Man that would have been awesome. This season would have added to his legacy. He could even take partial credit for adding a level on “the pyramid.”

Good life lesson on the importance of leaving well and not burning bridges. Such a missed opportunity.
That bridge had to burn. GP determined that. Though it wasn't burned to the point GP wasn't allowed access at the end, like being in the tunnel with seniors on Senior Day.

Plus it wouldn't be fair to the new DC and staff. They are implementing their defense their way.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

Both sides needed to separate. There was no scenario where Gary was going to stick around and work for his replacement.

The only even slight possibility was if he wanted to do something along the lines of what Mack Brown did at Texas and take some ambiguous role within the athletic department where he's taking a salary just to kind of hang around and watch the games from a suite. But even that was never going to happen given Gary's personality. Maybe 5-10 years from now that might happen.

Eight

why the hell is even the concept of adding to gary's legacy even mentioned in the same breathe as this season

absolutely dumbfounding and it wasn't a missed opportunity

one of the easiest ways to screw up any time of management transition is keep around and allow input from the very people you decided needed to be replaced

texasrobster1997

why the hell is even the concept of adding to gary's legacy even mentioned in the same breathe as this season

absolutely dumbfounding and it wasn't a missed opportunity

one of the easiest ways to screw up any time of management transition is keep around and allow input from the very people you decided needed to be replaced
Disagree. Founders and CEOs of companies that split amicably often sit on boards as advisors. I’m not saying he would be coaching the defense, but I think it’s insane to think that any DC in the country wouldn’t be interested in Gary’s input.

If Patterson had worked with administration for a healthy transition of leadership rather than severing ties, I think he still could be an asset to this program and, yes, it would have added to his legacy in my book. There is a big difference between a firing and a retiring.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse

No thanks. What coach would want GP hanging around? A clean (or at least clearly defined) break is better. He did everyone a favor.

Best wishes GP and see you down the road.

Eight

Disagree. Founders and CEOs of companies that split amicably often sit on boards as advisors. I’m not saying he would be coaching the defense, but I think it’s insane to think that any DC in the country wouldn’t be interested in Gary’s input.

If Patterson had worked with administration for a healthy transition of leadership rather than severing ties, I think he still could be an asset to this program and, yes, it would have added to his legacy in my book. There is a big difference between a firing and a retiring.

here is one major problem in your scenario

damn near every facet of gillespie's defense is contrary to gary's be it alignment, scheme, philosophy, personnel, to technique

flexibility was never a strength for gary nor playing well with others so aside from breaking down the tendencies of the michigan offense exactly how would there be interaction?

TCUdirtbag

In NO event would Patterson be involved AT ALL in game planning.

Should he be glad handing, drinking booze in the AGCS clubs and suites, cashing a nice “ambassador” paycheck, raising a little money, posing by his statue with fans for pics, enjoying this amazing ride, and getting way too much credit while just wearing purple and existing? Yes.

But even if he’d taken the retirement offer, parade, and ambassador gig he should’ve taken, he absolutely should not have any role in prepping the team or coaches etc. This is Dykes’ program now.

Deep Purple

Strongly disagree. Under Patterson, TCU had been running essentially the same defensive scheme for over 20 years. As we saw during the last 4-5 years of his tenure, many of our opponents were effectively solving it. In 2017, we were #40 in the FBS in total defense. By 2021, we had dropped to #118 -- well behind Texas State, Bowling Green, Ball State, Middle Tennessee States, Rutgers, Coastal Carolina, etc etc etc. And GP was totally opposed to any significant changes to "his" defense.

Wexahu

Honestly, I don't care about Gary's legacy.

The school needs to do what is best for the program, period. They did that. Gary's legacy will be what it will be.

Toad Jones

Sark loves GP hovering around in his "analyst" position, just waiting for Sark to make a mistake.
It wasn't Sark who suggested Gary join the staff, but the suggestion came from CDC and a couple of investors to the program.

Last edited:

texasrobster1997

In NO event would Patterson be involved AT ALL in game planning.

Should he be glad handing, drinking booze in the AGCS clubs and suites, cashing a nice “ambassador” paycheck, raising a little money, posing by his statue with fans for pics, enjoying this amazing ride, and getting way too much credit while just wearing purple and existing? Yes.

But even if he’d taken the retirement offer, parade, and ambassador gig he should’ve taken, he absolutely should not have any role in prepping the team or coaches etc. This is Dykes’ program now.
So was Dykes in charge when Patterson had him as a special advisor? Seemed like that relationship worked ok. Good grief. Maybe it’s this board or just me being naive to the coaching world, but healthy leadership changes and transitions of power don’t always have to be so adversarial. I was just imagining a world where Gary’s presence and defensive wisdom could still be of value this program.

NewFrogFan

I think the TCU defense outplayed the Texas defense.

DeuceBoogieNights

I wish I knew his true feelings. Maybe it will come out someday. I always try and imagine how I would feel but I can't really put myself in his shoes. I've never even been in a job that long. I would pay to see him sit down and talk to a psychologist about the last two years.

Toad Jones

It wasn't Sark who suggested Gary join the staff, but the suggestion came from CDC and a couple of investors to the program.
What is interesting to me, will Gary maintain the same role this coming year? Analyst is a loosely used title in college football. It'll be awhile before that is released, if, it is announced at all. You don't have to announce anything other than analyst, but behind the screen, a lot more is taking place.

Someone said, they were working the hallway after 'ALL' the coach's had left except GP who was sitting at his desk poring over next opponent's tapes and roster.