• The KillerFrogs

OKLASTATE AND THE MEDIA

Virginia Frog

This. Same reason Bama is still up there, and why UTerus, despite their THREE losses, still shows up in the TOP TEN of one of ESPN's rankings. Some horsepoopy about, "If on a neutral field against a hypothetically-strong opponent, who would win."
"If we (UT, Bama, et.al.) gave each ref $100K in cash before each game, hypothetically who would win."

The problem for counterbalancing the "Blue Blood" bias is not under the control of "the smaller schools." Blue Bloods only become non-Blue Bloods when THEY (through lack of performance -no dominant winning, losses to "lesser" schools) do it to themselves. See: Nebraska, SouCal, Miami, A&M, Arky and the rest.

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

No, I really haven't.

Let me guess, the media said something nice about Oklahoma State. Oh my gosh. How dare they. Unless they are promoting the greatness of TCU pretty much 24/7, they aren't objective and they aren't doing their job. Do better, media.
I listened to the same shows referenced by prior posters and ordinarily I wouldn’t be the least bit interested in their commentary but Sunday it was off-the-wall bizarre how much attention was being lavished on Okie Lite. We’re talking 20-25 minutes of air on the glory of Gundy and Sanders and freshmen wide receivers and being in an outpost town and boosters and so on so on so on. Went on forever and continued on subsequent shows. Almost no mention that TCU even played a game much less a game against a zero conf loss team. Even I felt like it crossed a very bad line into agenda-based commentary by neglect.

Wexahu

I listened to the same shows referenced by prior posters and ordinarily I wouldn’t be the least bit interested in their commentary but Sunday it was off-the-wall bizarre how much attention was being lavished on Okie Lite. We’re talking 20-25 minutes of air on the glory of Gundy and Sanders and freshmen wide receivers and being in an outpost town and boosters and so on so on so on. Went on forever and continued on subsequent shows. Almost no mention that TCU even played a game much less a game against a zero conf loss team. Even I felt like it crossed a very bad line into agenda-based commentary by neglect.
Are these national shows? What do you think their agenda was? Okie State certainly is not a blue blood team, and as we all know the Big 12 is out of favor, no way are they on anyone's agenda.

Maybe they were just getting their OSU's confused?

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Yep, lots of ESPN hate out there:

CFP National Championship Presented by AT&T
SoFi Stadium (Inglewood, California)
Jan. 9, time TBD, ESPN and the ESPN App

Bonagura: Georgia vs. Ohio State
Schlabach: Georgia vs. Ohio State

CFP Semifinal at the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl
Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta)
Dec. 31, 4 or 8 p.m., ESPN and the ESPN App

Bonagura: Georgia vs. TCU
Schlabach: Georgia vs. Clemson

CFP Semifinal at the Vrbo Fiesta Bowl
State Farm Stadium (Glendale, Arizona)
Dec. 31, 4 or 8 p.m., ESPN and the ESPN App

Bonagura: Ohio State vs. Clemson
Schlabach: Ohio State vs. Tennessee

Dec. 31

Allstate Sugar Bowl

Caesars Superdome (New Orleans)
Noon, ESPN and the ESPN App

Bonagura: Oklahoma State vs. Tennessee
Schlabach: TCU vs. Alabama

Pharm Frog

Are these national shows? What do you think their agenda was? Okie State certainly is not a blue blood team, and as we all know the Big 12 is out of favor, no way are they on anyone's agenda.

Maybe they were just getting their OSU's confused?
Yes..very much national. Here’s what I think:

1) Okie Lite beat the SEC-bound Longhorns
2) One of these fellas called the Okie Lite game and admitted that he didn’t watch the TCU game but felt like TCU was unlikely to continue winning.
3) I think they are already staking out their post-departure conference darling.
4) I also think that by focusing on the UT loss they are diminishing the relative strength of the conference. Two commentators actually said this out loud - when OU and UT are down, this conference won’t be considered strong. AND…I think that was an ESPN talking point because they ranked the power of each conference in an online article this weekend and placed the Big 12 5th out of 5.
5) Verbatim comment: “Little TCU is going to be raising their hand saying ‘Look at us’. But they weren’t ranked in the preseason so that hurts them and there’s almost no chance that they finish with less than two losses.” Now this can’t be to get TCU agitated and increase clicks and calls because the perspective is that it’s “Little TCU”.

Wexahu

2) One of these fellas called the Okie Lite game and admitted that he didn’t watch the TCU game but felt like TCU was unlikely to continue winning.
3) I think they are already staking out their post-departure conference darling.
4) I also think that by focusing on the UT loss they are diminishing the relative strength of the conference. Two commentators actually said this out loud - when OU and UT are down, this conference won’t be considered strong. AND…I think that was an ESPN talking point because they ranked the power of each conference in an online article this weekend and placed the Big 12 5th out of 5.
5) Verbatim comment: “Little TCU is going to be raising their hand saying ‘Look at us’. But they weren’t ranked in the preseason so that hurts them and there’s almost no chance that they finish with less than two losses.” Now this can’t be to get TCU agitated and increase clicks and calls because the perspective is that it’s “Little TCU”.
IMO that's borderline tin foil hat type stuff. It doesn't even make sense. As another poster said, at this point diminishing TCU is diminishing OSU, and vice versa.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.

Dusty Dvoracek was on the call, so you were hearing him and Danny Kanell.

Eight

one of the bigger remaining "name brands" in the big 12, last 10 years they have had 5-6 10+ win seasons, 5-6 top 20 ranked teams, finished 12-2 last year, #7 ranking, beat nd in the bowl game, and returned a big portion of that team

really not that hard to figure out as much of the national media that "focuses" on college football really doesn't do much research

would suspect most of the national media wrote the frogs off after the firing of gary because HE is GARY PATTERSON and to them he is tcu football. part of that is how things have been branded in ft worth for way too long.

perfect example to me is pre-season when there was discussion about teams and things would turn to position groups no one mentioned tcu when they talked about receiver groups and offensive skills positions.

yes, frogs did "lose" zach evan and no one really knew what jared wiley was capable of after his three year's in austin, but if anyone had paid much attention to the frogs they could see the talent and should have known sonny's rep with his offense. that however requires research and caring to be accurate instead of throwing out the usual suspects because they sound like they know something and the masses eat the [ Finebaum ] up.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Verbatim comment: “Little TCU is going to be raising their hand saying ‘Look at us’. But they weren’t ranked in the preseason so that hurts them and there’s almost no chance that they finish with less than two losses.”
Speaking as if they are disinterested observers, instead of mooks cashing paychecks from the very entity who controls the entire process.

Limey Frog

Did you see this garbage?

Per ESPN's own odds on their Twitter account about their propitiatory playoff, the top six are "separating themselves".

We are unbeaten. No one has separated themselves from us in any substantive or objective way. Maybe they will, but they haven't. Unless you want to believe that they have.

HornyWartyToad

Did you see this garbage?

Per ESPN's own odds on their Twitter account about their propitiatory playoff, the top six are "separating themselves".

We are unbeaten. No one has separated themselves from us in any substantive or objective way. Maybe they will, but they haven't. Unless you want to believe that they have.

scheiss ESPN