• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Bud Adams kid was a trainer for us in high school (Memorial). Thought he was special, but was just lard ass like his dad and probably wouldn’t know which way a jock goes on.

Bring back the Columbia blue, Texans are going red?
View attachment 11656
Eh. Don't care. I don't live there anymore, and haven't seen a game in several years. My one standout memory of the Stupid Texans is the home game when the power went out. I laughed, Mrs. Brewingfrog laughed. Our traveling friends were mystified at our apparent mirth: "Why is this so funny?"
"Because they (then) play in Reliant Stadium! Reliant is the vast power conglomerate which evidently has enough spare change to spend $20 million of it on buying naming rights to that new dump, and they can't even keep the lights on in the Stadium that bears their name!"

My wife was amused by their new moniker: nrg. "Nurg." she said. "What the hell is that? That's the sound a dog makes when trying to take a crap."

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Eh. Don't care. I don't live there anymore, and haven't seen a game in several years. My one standout memory of the Stupid Texans is the home game when the power went out. I laughed, Mrs. Brewingfrog laughed. Our traveling friends were mystified at our apparent mirth: "Why is this so funny?"
"Because they (then) play in Reliant Stadium! Reliant is the vast power conglomerate which evidently has enough spare change to spend $20 million of it on buying naming rights to that new dump, and they can't even keep the lights on in the Stadium that bears their name!"

My wife was amused by their new moniker: nrg. "Nurg." she said. "What the hell is that? That's the sound a dog makes when trying to take a crap."
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Bounce

Frog-in-law1995

You liked the "Columbia Blue"?

Somewhere in the piles of nonsense, I still have a "Luv Ya Blue!" placard handed out at the Monday Night Football game in the Dome against the Steelers in '79. Sigh.
200 years from now, when americans (or whatever they’re called by then) go to museums to learn about what pro football was like, I believe the first picture they ought to be shown is Earl Campbell in light blue with ridiculously wide shoulder pads and an oil derrick on his hat trucking some poor defender. That was as good as it ever got, imo, and I’m a lifelong Cowboys fan.

82 Frog Fever

There was an interesting article on the 6th in NoleGameday, sorry if posted earlier, concerning their conference activities. If FSU could make this happen, things would probably get interesting in a hurry.

Attachments

• 36AC7139-F285-47D2-A32D-38A3A88CE4F1.png
    36AC7139-F285-47D2-A32D-38A3A88CE4F1.png
    458.8 KB · Views: 76

BrewingFrog

There was an interesting article on the 6th in NoleGameday, sorry if posted earlier, concerning their conference activities. If FSU could make this happen, things would probably get interesting in a hurry.
From all that has been discussed, the ACC Grant of Rights is about as air-tight as it could get. It is in force until 2036. Further, the SEC is ESPN's little sandbox to build castles in. Why would they break up the mortal lock they have on the ACC for the next 14 years, at a bargain price, to further drive up the price of the SEC? Why pay for Florida State, or Clemson when they already own them?

I imagine what they'll do is arrange for SEC-ACC early season matchups. Stage them in the big stadium in Atlanta. ESPN Theatre.

AustinFrog

C'mon, man, the only reason you are where you are now is because BYU went to bat for TCU back in 2005 supporting TCU's addition to the MWC.
You mean when you after you meet in secret with Airport Al and stabbed the WAC in the back when the WAC Commish was in the hospital?
You backed us in the MWC to try and redeem your shame for what you did to us and the WAC.

Last edited:

Atomic Frawg

It's been really quiet on the realignment front. I don't know how to take it. Either things have cooled and the PAC is trying to work things out, or the Big 12 has been quietly working things out and somethings about to drop. Either way, I don't like that no real news is coming out.

Frog-in-law1995

It's been really quiet on the realignment front. I don't know how to take it. Either things have cooled and the PAC is trying to work things out, or the Big 12 has been quietly working things out and somethings about to drop. Either way, I don't like that no real news is coming out.
I think (hope?) that we’re waiting for the PAC’s 30-day Fox/ESPN negotiating window to run so that they can negotiate more openly about leaving.

Bizarro Frog

You all might already know this but I have been reading lot’s of stuff from the folks that cover the PAC 12 and it sounds like their only lifeline is ESPN wanting to make sure they have late night inventory on Saturday and that might keep them together. No other network is interested. Wash and Oregon are not on the B1G radar unless they need a partner for ND which is not coming anytime soon. The ACC PAC 12 Alliance is not much of a player unless their is a major surprise. If the Four Corner schools bolt for the BIG 12 it’s over. Wash and Oregon would likely follow.

ESPN holds all the cards and if they want to overpay to keep them together they will. ESPN also can play coy and let them blow up forcing them to the BIG 12. They then would renegotiate that deal and use the funds they are not paying PAC 12 anymore. Ball is in their court.

BrewingFrog

ESPN also has the MWC. This bargain basement holding gives them late-night content to bleed off any rival's ratings should FOX come sniffing around looking to poach the PAC. It also gives them the "We're the only game in town, suckers" card they've been playing in the event the rump PAC members wish to stick together as a Conference, because they pretty much are. The PAC options are: 1.) Stick together and look at a much reduced payout, less control over their fates, potential lengthy GOR, and decreasing relevance as a Power Conference. 2.) Doing a group rendition of 'Happy Trails' and split up into whoever will take them, with the four rumored members packing their bags for the BIGXII and maybe a couple more coming along for the ride. The rest would probably find homes in the MWC.

Wexahu

200 years from now, when americans (or whatever they’re called by then) go to museums to learn about what pro football was like, I believe the first picture they ought to be shown is Earl Campbell in light blue with ridiculously wide shoulder pads and an oil derrick on his hat trucking some poor defender. That was as good as it ever got, imo, and I’m a lifelong Cowboys fan.
Cowboys/Steelers 1978 Super Bowl was peak NFL IMO.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
"Sitting on stage between Bowlsby and Baylor president Linda Livingstone, the 55-year-old Yormark touted a “younger, hipper, cooler” Big 12, spoke on plans to “nationalize our conference in a way that hasn’t been done before” and introduced himself to gathered media just under two weeks after the former pro sports executive stepped into the conference’s top job."