• The KillerFrogs

Jamie Backers - What Would it Take for Jamie to be on your "hot seat"?

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
Well, didn't think I'd have to come back on here and get progress started again so soon within our athletic department...but here I am.

All kidding aside, what has Jamie Dixon done to earn keeping his job and not fired at the end of the season? Nothing personal. I "like" Jamie. Super nice guy. But has done nothing to prove he should keep his job as the TCU basketball coach. Unlike TCU Football which was right below .500 (mediocre) since going the Big 12...TCU Basketball is well below mediocre since joining. With Dixon, we are simply below mediocre since 2016. Not as bad as when we started, but not far from it.

Since he started with TCU in 2016-2017 Season.

Big 12 Conference Record
2016/17 : 6-12
2017/18 : 9-9
2018/19 : 7-11
2019/20 : 7 -11
2020/21 : 5-11
2021/22 : 5-6 (currently), project ending 8-10

Big 12 Conference Titles (Regular Season): 0
Big 12 Conference Tournament Championship Game appearances: 0
NIT Appearances: 2
NCAA Appearances: 1
Out of Conference Wins since 2016: 80% are against teams with overall losing records in the same time span. Only thing TCU basketball does well in for some reason, are the SEC Challenge games.

In same time span - programs that I would consider us to be "peer" with:
Texas Tech: One National Title Game appearance. 2 Big 12 Titles. One Elite 8, 2 Final Fours. One round of 32.
Baylor: Two Big 12 Titles, One National Championship. (probably would have 2 natty's if not for Covid shortened season)
SMU: One NCAA, One NIT Appearance.

Highlights of his TCU Career - in first season, TCU wins NIT with essentially no players he recruited, so we could hang a banner in Schollmaier for coming in 66th place nationally. Embarrassing.

Long story short, again, BAYLOR is light years ahead of us in basketball (as they are in every other sport other than baseball, it's true, look it up).
They are the easiest measuring stick.

Jamie gotta go. Fire away.....Go Frogs.
This will be the 4th NCAA in 50 years. Jamie has 3 of them.

Fiscuits

This will be the 4th NCAA in 50 years. Jamie has 3 of them.
We went once with Killingsworth in the 80's (loss to Notre Dame), twice with Tubbs (K Thomas and Lee Nailon years) and if we make it this year, three times with Jamie. So five times that I can recall.

So again, if just participating in the tourney and making a quick exit is the "goal"....it make senses that our fan base seems satisfied with that.
Participating. Not being in the mix or "really" competing for Championships...just making a nice showing of it, but being overall pretty mediocre.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
We went once with Killingsworth in the 80's (loss to Notre Dame), twice with Tubbs (K Thomas and Lee Nailon years) and if we make it this year, three times with Jamie. So five times that I can recall.

So again, if just participating in the tourney and making a quick exit is the "goal"....it make senses that our fan base seems satisfied with that.
Participating. Not being in the mix or "really" competing for Championships...just making a nice showing of it, but being overall pretty mediocre.
Wrong. Tubbs made 1 NCAA at TCU. In the last 50 years TCU went in 87, 98, 18.

FrogBall09

not a historian…
either are you evidently - since you first stated this year would have been Dixon's third NCAA appearance and then listed the years showing we have only made it once since he arrived as our coach....

Again - I love people who passionately tell others they are idiots and then have their facts wrong...

or are you trying to count his time as a player in his accomplishments as a coach to skew your argument?

Last edited:

FrogBall09

Jamie was a player in 87.
So? ok, then let me be the first to say - who gives a crap? player performance is not coaching performance.

He was offered the job and took it partly because of that history - made the shot against UT, led the NCAA bid team, etc. - great for him as a player.

That has ZERO to do with whether or not he is the right coach for TCU at this point. if it did, then we need to fire Dykes immediately and give the job to LT or tell Saarloos to hit the road now that Holaday has retired.

I am a huge Dixon supporter and 100% don't think we can find a better fit for TCU - but if he struggles to build upon this year and we retract back to before he arrived - then the fact that he was one our greatest players should not even be part of the conversation on if he is retained.

OmniscienceFrog

Lol….

That’s the problem right there.
TCU fans that grew up in the participation trophy era, celebrate wins that are expected. Most do not understand winning a championship trophy is the goal. Look how long it took to can Patterson. Thankfully he quit first.

Almost all of Dixons wins are against sub par competition.

How do I know that, Einstein? His overall Big 12 winning percentage is .396. We’d probably achieve that with him in attendance or not.

But, I’ll be there to raise that “We Made it to the NCAA Tourney” banner; with all the other participation awards hanging from our rafters including the “We Were 66th” NIT Champions Banner.
The question was "would TCU make the NCAA tournament", Mr Blowhard.

Last edited:

Fiscuits

Wrong. Tubbs made 1 NCAA at TCU. In the last 50 years TCU went in 87, 98, 18.
Let’s just say the number was 10 times in the last 50 years and Jamie had five of them….need more. Our conference record sucks, it’s not even “kind of” good

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
So? ok, then let me be the first to say - who gives a crap? player performance is not coaching performance.

He was offered the job and took it partly because of that history - made the shot against UT, led the NCAA bid team, etc. - great for him as a player.

That has ZERO to do with whether or not he is the right coach for TCU at this point. if it did, then we need to fire Dykes immediately and give the job to LT or tell Saarloos to hit the road now that Holaday has retired.

I am a huge Dixon supporter and 100% don't think we can find a better fit for TCU - but if he struggles to build upon this year and we retract back to before he arrived - then the fact that he was one our greatest players should not even be part of the conversation on if he is retained.
His coaching performance has been excellent by TCU’s standards. As a player and coach he is a winner. Nobody said anything about judging his tenure based on his playing career. The common denominator in 3 of 4 NCAA’s is Dixon. LUF

Fiscuits

His coaching performance has been excellent by TCU’s standards. As a player and coach he is a winner. Nobody said anything about judging his tenure based on his playing career. The common denominator in 3 of 4 NCAA’s is Dixon. LUF
.396 is conference play is good?? For giggle's sake....what is your "bad"?