• The KillerFrogs

Jamie Backers - What Would it Take for Jamie to be on your "hot seat"?

Fiscuits

Well, didn't think I'd have to come back on here and get progress started again so soon within our athletic department...but here I am.

All kidding aside, what has Jamie Dixon done to earn keeping his job and not fired at the end of the season? Nothing personal. I "like" Jamie. Super nice guy. But has done nothing to prove he should keep his job as the TCU basketball coach. Unlike TCU Football which was right below .500 (mediocre) since going the Big 12...TCU Basketball is well below mediocre since joining. With Dixon, we are simply below mediocre since 2016. Not as bad as when we started, but not far from it.

Since he started with TCU in 2016-2017 Season.

Big 12 Conference Record
2016/17 : 6-12
2017/18 : 9-9
2018/19 : 7-11
2019/20 : 7 -11
2020/21 : 5-11
2021/22 : 5-6 (currently), project ending 8-10

Big 12 Conference Titles (Regular Season): 0
Big 12 Conference Tournament Championship Game appearances: 0
NIT Appearances: 2
NCAA Appearances: 1
Out of Conference Wins since 2016: 80% are against teams with overall losing records in the same time span. Only thing TCU basketball does well in for some reason, are the SEC Challenge games.

In same time span - programs that I would consider us to be "peer" with:
Texas Tech: One National Title Game appearance. 2 Big 12 Titles. One Elite 8, 2 Final Fours. One round of 32.
Baylor: Two Big 12 Titles, One National Championship. (probably would have 2 natty's if not for Covid shortened season)
SMU: One NCAA, One NIT Appearance.

Highlights of his TCU Career - in first season, TCU wins NIT with essentially no players he recruited, so we could hang a banner in Schollmaier for coming in 66th place nationally. Embarrassing.

Long story short, again, BAYLOR is light years ahead of us in basketball (as they are in every other sport other than baseball, it's true, look it up).
They are the easiest measuring stick.

Jamie gotta go. Fire away.....Go Frogs.

geefrogs

Ncaa violations. Or a teammate murdering another teammate.

We play in the toughest conference BY FAR. There is nobody out there we could hire to make us better.

The home record needs to be solved. Maybe our fans need to be better, I dunno.

Free throw shooting is also the worst in the big 12. That seems fixable.

This is who we are. Maaaaaybe when rhe big 12 shifts and there are more teams to beat up on, we will be ok.

Pharm Frog

We play in the toughest conference BY FAR. There is nobody out there we could hire to make us better.

This is who we are. Maaaaaybe when rhe big 12 shifts and there are more teams to beat up on, we will be ok.

This ain’t on the fans and you can’t fix free throw shooting. I heard it here first.

PurpleBlood87

Stop blaming the fans. They don't score a point and the team has lost four times in the Big 12 before big home crowds (Baylor, Texas, Kansas State and Iowa State) and two of those weren't close.

geefrogs

Stop blaming the fans. They don't score a point and the team has lost four times in the Big 12 before big home crowds (Baylor, Texas, Kansas State and Iowa State) and two of those weren't close.

Not responsible for the loss. Just wondering if the home court advantage could be improved.

Fiscuits

So how has Baylor or Tech been able to solve the "toughest conference" argument? I get that winning the conference every year, or every other year is totally unrealistic...but never, not even close or in the conversation?

Fiscuits

Not responsible for the loss. Just wondering if the home court advantage could be improved.
Wins fix home court in two seconds. Gotta win first. Which we don't do often enough and rarely do when the fans actually do show up (see Texas this year).

Fiscuits

Hard to accept there is "nobody" we could hire. I would argue the exact opposite. How could we possibly stick with what we have? JD didn't hire Jamie - but he need's to earn his check with basketball now, too. We are below mediocre in basketball.

Last edited:

geefrogs

A friendly reminder what the expectation was for this team. I'd like to give Jaime more time because I dont see another coach outside of the program right now who could improve the situation. I hope I'm wrong.

Also a reminder that probably 7 or 8 teams will get a bid. Think about that.

Screenshot_20220216-091330_Chrome.jpg

FrogBall09

well it was pretty amazing during UT game and we got run off the court.....

Conference record does not concern me as much as it does for football because we are in the best conference in basketball by far - but how our record translates to post season matters.

If he can't start making the tournament regularly - then we have a problem. To date, his record in that area is pretty bad and needs to improve beginning with this year. We can't go from a projected 9 seed before last night to NIT - or he needs to go.

And then next year needs to have expectations of at least the same level of performance and improve how far we go in the tournaments of the next 3-4 years- no dips or he needs to go.

FrogUltimate

Being a preseason projected #8 in the conference isn't something to brag about or set expectations to. That's as much of an indictment on Dixon as the results.

TCU has an extremely obvious, good Athletic Department and University comp in Baylor. We've fallen WAY behind them and it's inexcusable.

geefrogs

Being a preseason projected #8 in the conference isn't something to brag about or set expectations to. That's as much of an indictment on Dixon as the results.

TCU has an extremely obvious, good Athletic Department and University comp in Baylor. We've fallen WAY behind them and it's inexcusable.

8th in conference actually means you could get an NCAA bid. It's kind of proving my point of how difficult the Big 12 is and how outsiders understand that and give them 8 bids anyway.

Wexahu

A friendly reminder what the expectation was for this team. I'd like to give Jaime more time because I dont see another coach outside of the program right now who could improve the situation. I hope I'm wrong.

Also a reminder that probably 7 or 8 teams will get a bid. Think about that.

View attachment 10806
As big a problem as any is the fact that we were picked to finish 8th out of 10 teams. Isn't that an indictment on the coach, who has been here 5 years now?

If we'd be willing to spend the same amount of money, I think we could land a much better coach.

geefrogs

As big a problem as any is the fact that we were picked to finish 8th out of 10 teams. Isn't that an indictment on the coach, who has been here 5 years now?

If we'd be willing to spend the same amount of money, I think we could land a much better coach.
Yeah maybe? Maybe with success of Bane, top recruits and transfers will take a longer look at TCU. I'm not sure how covid affected the rotation and recruiting. But I know it affected everyone.

Dixon has lifted TCU to a higher plane than previous coaches. Maybe he's outmatched in the big12 unlike in the old big east with Pitt.

I just know if we hire a new coach, we are asking/expecting that coach to take us to a new level of winning that this program has never experienced before. Hope we are prepared for that and patient enough for it too.

Wexahu

Yeah maybe? Maybe with success of Bane, top recruits and transfers will take a longer look at TCU. I'm not sure how covid affected the rotation and recruiting. But I know it affected everyone.

Dixon has lifted TCU to a higher plane than previous coaches. Maybe he's outmatched in the big12 unlike in the old big east with Pitt.

I just know if we hire a new coach, we are asking/expecting that coach to take us to a new level of winning that this program has never experienced before. Hope we are prepared for that and patient enough for it too.
The only risk in hiring a new guy is that we fall from one of the worst 3-4 teams in the league to one of the 1-2 worst teams. I mean, it can't get much worse.

And before you say, yeah, we were a lot worse before Dixon got here, this is not the same program it was under the previous 3 coaches, and little of that is Dixon's doing. It's a commitment to the program thing. I hate that fallback.