• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Jared7

And since Fomba and Aguilar both made me look silly tonight, I will point out that I did note that Aguilar can beat anyone when he's on. He's played very well since the earlier post, so I think he's totally justified in starting as our #2. Regardless, beating Shelton is awesome. Seems like a lot of people think he's the best player in the country right now.
Well, they're basing that high opinion of Shelton based on his play this fall and some incredibly clutch play in the NCAA's in May and I'm guessing that he also can apparently beat Riffice (the actual defending NCAA champ) in practice, but he's never played consistently at the #1 spot, so for me the jury is still out on whether he's the best in the country. We'll see.

Some are also saying that #4 Tennessee is the real NCAA (and SEC) fave this year and we host them tomorrow at 12:00 p.m. So, it's no time for a let-up. We're 1-5 against them all-time, losing 3-4 to them last year away. But we've never hosted them and we did sweep them 4-0 in 2019 in Knoxville, with W's from Fomba and Jong. Last year was at the Indoor Nationals in Champaign, with W's from Fomba and Jong again over Munday and Prata (and Gray beat Adam Walton), but we lost the doubles point and the bottom 3 positions. Fomba v. Walton (presumably) will be a top-level match. I'm pessimistic about this one, but if we can beat Florida, we can beat the Vols too.

Last edited:

Jared7

It’s obviously awesome to beat number 1, but how much bigger is it that we did it indoors? Seems like that’s always been an issue against highly ranked teams.
It's huge. We've struggled indoors against top competition for years, although last year we did beat then#1 USC inside. Way back in the thread, though, we discussed this and my view is that all these Northern Europeans we've been recruiting recently may be better indoors players than outdoors rather than the warm weather guys in the recent past who grew up playing more outside. Just because of the experience factor, I think we're probably better indoors now than we've ever been. If so, we could be a real threat to win the Indoor Nationals this season if we can make it through the Kickoff Weekend in a few weeks.

This Florida W is going to get a lot of notice and may change the national views of this team, who are going to wake up to our potential. I can't overstate how significant it is. And if we can beat #4 Tennessee after taking down #1 Florida , we could be ranked __... No, I'm not going to jinx it!

Retired Frog

So based on this result what do you see as our lineup? Is Vines missing from singles ? Are the doubles pairings the lineup or adjusted due to current injury

Longfrog

Well, they're basing that high opinion of Shelton based on his play this fall and some incredibly clutch play in the NCAA's in May and I'm guessing that he also can apparently beat Riffice (the actual defending NCAA champ) in practice, but he's never played consistently at the #1 spot, so for me the jury is still out on whether he's the best in the country. We'll see.
Their top 3 are obviously all worthy of the top spot. I saw someone say that they want to mix each of them in, but that if he started Shelton at 1 he'd never let go of it. That seems a little silly to me. If I were to speculate, it would be that he's the coach's son and why not start someone else at 1 to avoid looking like you're playing favorites.

Jared7

So based on this result what do you see as our lineup? Is Vines missing from singles ? Are the doubles pairings the lineup or adjusted due to current injury
I think Roditi is going to experiment with the line-up. For now, Fomba and Jong are probably #1 and #2, with Vives slotted for #3 when he returns from COVID protocol. Aguilar is probably next, with the rest fighting for the other slots. Last night, Maxted was ahead of Fearnley, but Jake came through with the clinching W, which was huge. Jirousek is in there and Ruehl played at the top levels for Arizona State, so he's capable too. Doubles was adjusted due to Vives' unavailability - I think that may switch around a little as well. Roditi often adjusts and re-adjusts. We'll see.

Longfrog

If Vives is out, we're going with the same lineup in singles, although we might flip Maxted and Fearnley at 5/6. If Vives is in, I think Roditi showed his preference yesterday among the remaining guys. My guess would be

Fomba
Aguilar
Vives
Jong
Jirousek
Fearnley

Jared7

Also the player rankings seem curious. Neither #1 have current ranking? But Aguilar is #19?
Pay no attention to the current rankings. That's almost exclusively based on fall results and most of the top players eschew college events in the fall and try their hand in the pros because there's money there. The ITA rankings really only become relevant later in the Spring after a statistically significant amount of matches between the top players kicks in. Right now, they're just indicative; not predictive.

Longfrog

Speaking of rankings, here are the UTR's at present. This doesn't count this week's matches yet. For those unfamiliar, UTR is an all-in formula that tries to count any result, whether pro or amateur. The other ranking systems only look at one or the other.

Fomba (#40)
Vives (#44)
Jirousek (#46)
Jong (#48)
Fearnley (#62)
Aguilar (#68)
Maxted (#120)
Ruehl (#161)

And for comparison, UTenn's top 6

Walton (#22)
Munday (#31)
Bicknell (#33)
Mitsui (#35)
Hudd (#71)
Prata (#245)

Tennessee also plays great doubles, whereas it's been Florida's achilles heel for a while. So we'll have our hands full.

Longfrog

We've traditionally been top-heavy, with strong #1's and #2's. Roditi has been changing this gradually. I agree - depth is now a strength.
I agree this team is deeper than we were in the past. But COVID has ironically made all the top teams deeper. Good players are using their 5th year to fill out the roster at the top teams. We benefitted from this by getting Aguilar and Ruehl. Ohio State and UVA will probably play a 5th year transfer at #1 or #2 singles all year.

I think we're also just seeing more transfers in general, maybe because the surge in grad transfers normalized the practice. Hudd and Bicknell transferred to the Vols this year and I think they're both juniors.

Jared7

Also, if we're going to be a good indoor team now, can we please please please get some cameras inside? It's getting so I'd rather see us play on the road just to ensure I can actually watch.
Last year, when we were road warriors virtually all the time, it was great to see the cameras and websites that the other top tennis schools have. We desperately require indoor cameras and I'd like to see a 6th indoor court as well.