• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Jared7

I agree this team is deeper than we were in the past. But COVID has ironically made all the top teams deeper. Good players are using their 5th year to fill out the roster at the top teams. We benefitted from this by getting Aguilar and Ruehl. Ohio State and UVA will probably play a 5th year transfer at #1 or #2 singles all year.

I think we're also just seeing more transfers in general, maybe because the surge in grad transfers normalized the practice. Hudd and Bicknell transferred to the Vols this year and I think they're both juniors.
Yeah, and the 4.5 scholarship limit facilitates multiple transfers as well. If a player is only getting a 1/4 schollie here and someone offers a 1/2 or more, why not take it? Foreign students are often strapped financially. I wish they'd bump that up - even slightly.

Jared7

I still like the outdoor courts too. Only complaint is you can’t see the scoreboards on the stream and the live scoring doesn’t always get it right.
I'd rate our outdoor set-up as one of the very best (Pepperdine on the Malibu beach too). Especially when Spring arrives in Texas early (compared to Yankeeland); it's so gorgeous with the green landscaping. The former Columbia coach (Bid Goswami) used to schedule an away match every single year just for the experience. And I'm confident that it hasn't changed all that much. It's definitely a selling point to recruits. But we should continue upgrading (especially indoors).

I'd rate our outdoor set-up as one of the very best (Pepperdine on the Malibu beach too). Especially when Spring arrives in Texas early (compared to Yankeeland); it's so gorgeous with the green landscaping. The former Columbia coach (Bid Goswami) used to schedule an away match every single year just for the experience. And I'm confident that it hasn't changed all that much. It's definitely a selling point to recruits. But we should continue upgrading (especially indoors).
I would love for us to incorporate our signature brick, build a grand entrance and update the grandstands a la SMU but without impeding on the foliage. (Granted this has a marginal effect on performance.) Indoors needs a reno.

Oh, and replace the fence on Bellaire N. So tacky. Replace it with something like is on Berry for all I care.

MY_FAVORITE.JPG

image_handler.aspx

Jared7

FWIW, Bobby Knight (collegetennis2day), Cracked Racquets (Alex Grushkin), CollegeTennisRanks and John are all over the TCU W over #1 Florida, with extensive coverage. Most retweeting the tweets long posted last night with Fearnley's clinching point, the gatorade dump and the Roditi Report. This is making waves across the tennis world.

TCU has a very luxurious outdoor tennis setup, in my mind—with sunken courts and its wind breaks, trees, green space, parking and driveway into it—it is beautiful. Looking at how much space it consumes it is close to matching all of the football facilities, which makes me wonder if someday they will do away with some of the 22 outdoor courts, needing that space—such as figuring out how to build a new baseball park if it comes to that, or adding softball.

Oh, they even have the Wimbledon colors on the match courts and purple with green looks dang good.

Last edited:

Longfrog

Any news on Fomba’s post-match limp? I hope it’s not a prolonged injury, but rather heals quickly—by tomorrow would be best.

It looked concerning but I guess no news is good news. I can't imagine he beats Riffice if he's truly hurt. Plus it didn't stop him from joining the scrum after Fearnley won or from dumping the gatorade bucket on Roditi.

Jared7

It's like jumping from the frying pan into the fire as the Frogs host yet another highly ranked team early in this tennis Spring season in less than an hour when the Tennessee Volunteers of the vaunted SEC come to play. How is Fomba's limp? Will Vives return from COVID protocol? Can Fearnley continue his magic? How will the Frogs react to Djocovid's deportation from Aussieland? Can Norrie recover and get by Korda? Which hat will Roditi wear? Will Walton defend the honor of Walton's Mountain? Will Munday Munday be so good to me?? Numerous tantalizing questions abound as the drama continues...

Longfrog

Still no Bicknell or Prata for the Vols. Those guys would probably play somewhere between #3 and #5 singles when healthy. They're still capable of winning 4 singles matches, but big advantage to us.