• The KillerFrogs

Longhorns Wire: Gary Patterson expected to meet with Pete Kwiatkowski on Thursday

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Longhorns Wire: Gary Patterson expected to meet with Pete Kwiatkowski on Thursday

Kevin Borba

USATSI_16874964.jpg

Texas has the opportunity to add a great defensive mind to its staff.

Former TCU head coach Gary Patterson is expected to meet with current Texas defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski about a potential role on the Longhorns staff that both parties would be interested in.

Read more at https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/...e-kwiatkowski-steve-sarkisian-coaching-staff/

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Patterson would be nuts to take that job (Head Coach at UT). But, as a Program Observer, he would always be there to keep the pressure on and keep Sark uncomfortable.

Toad Jones

CDC’s interest in having GP involved at UT is very low.
That is not true. CDC has been vocal in support of GP. I see Gary at UT more clearly than any other college position. Kelsey likes Austin a lot and if you knew Kelsey, well.... Gary listen's to her intently. Do not see GP ever as HC at UT, ever!! Once told me it was a zoo a really big zoo down there. It's better now with Chris as AD. The problem with GP at lead coaching position is communication, ESP at Texas. Those high brows would make GP cringe.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
That is not true. CDC has been vocal in support of GP. I see Gary at UT more clearly than any other college position. Kelsey likes Austin a lot and if you knew Kelsey, well.... Gary listen's to her intently. Do not see GP ever as HC at UT, ever!! Once told me it was a zoo a really big zoo down there. It's better now with Chris as AD. The problem with GP at lead coaching position is communication, ESP at Texas. Those high brows would make GP cringe.
All I can say is CDC has made recent statements to the contrary. I’m not saying GP won’t end up there as an analyst. I am saying that Chris isn’t crazy about the idea…at least when speaking to certain audiences

And by the way, there’s more than an even chance CDC is telling different people different things

Last edited:

Dogfrog

I would think the odds of GP ever being the head coach at UT would be somewhere around 0.
The nature of head coaching is changing so much. Despite the Gary bashing here, around college football he has gravitas. With the powerful donor egos associated with UT it is unlikely they will ever have a true head coach who chooses his own assistants and runs everything. With NIL in play, their coaches will make some suggestions who they want but some third party will negotiate deal$. So at UT I could see a guy like Gary possibly being a head coach in name only, whose only real responsibility is defensive game planning.

Wexahu

The nature of head coaching is changing so much. Despite the Gary bashing here, around college football he has gravitas. With the powerful donor egos associated with UT it is unlikely they will ever have a true head coach who chooses his own assistants and runs everything. With NIL in play, their coaches will make some suggestions who they want but some third party will negotiate deal$. So at UT I could see a guy like Gary possibly being a head coach in name only, whose only real responsibility is defensive game planning.
I wasn't bashing Gary.

If he somehow ends up being the UT coach, even if it is in "name only", he will have to completely change the way he approaches his job. I just don't see it happening, and I don't think it will work well at all if it does.

Again, this isn't Gary-bashing, I HATE the direction the game is going, but IMO coaches like Gary are not a good fit for the new world of college football. He got out at the right time, and unless he wants to reinvent himself, should probably stay out and ride off into the sunset and let people better equipped for it deal with all this nonsense.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I wasn't bashing Gary.

If he somehow ends up being the UT coach, even if it is in "name only", he will have to completely change the way he approaches his job. I just don't see it happening, and I don't think it will work well at all if it does.

Again, this isn't Gary-bashing, I HATE the direction the game is going, but IMO coaches like Gary are not a good fit for the new world of college football. He got out at the right time, and unless he wants to reinvent himself, should probably stay out and ride off into the sunset and let people better equipped for it deal with all this nonsense.
Does this say more about GP or the sensitive little darling growing up now…

Dogfrog

I wasn't bashing Gary.

I didn’t say you bashed Gary.

fff91

All I can say is CDC has made recent statements to the contrary. I’m not saying GP won’t end up there as an analyst. I am saying that Chris isn’t crazy about the idea…at least when speaking to certain audiences

And by the way, there’s more than an even chance CDC is telling different people different things
Why does he have such a strong opinion about GP as an analyst? Why would he really care?

Latest posts