• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

gofor2

He’s 30-16, that’s not close to mediocre especially at SMU. In fact SMU had 5 winning seasons (3 of those by 1 game) in the 25 years before Dykes showed up.
I agree, context is important. Its important to know what a guy was working with when he shows up.

That said, his best finish was 5th (3rd in his division) which was 2019. 5th is average. 85th ranked defense this year, that is poor. 1-2 in bowl games is poor. Something like 9-25 vs top 25 teams? I have not verified that stat. So all that together = mediocre to me.

Limey Frog

The big advantage that doom and gloomers will always have over the rest of us is that sooner or later they are always right.
True enough, and applicable to anyone who is never anything but a prophet of doom. I'm not always predicting bad things on here; I'm quite bullish about Dykes right now, unlike quite a few. I just thought it was obvious that GP's regime was broken four years ago. That doesn't make me a universal trafficker of woe, it just makes me right in this case.

TCUWIN

Just curious for those that remember, but wasn’t Patterson’s hire kind of looked down on? Seems like not everyone was exited about him being promoted from DC to head coach. Not sure if I am making that up in my head or if true.

This trophy pint thing is probably my favorite, dumb, long-running bit. Years back when they moved to the newer forum and the trophy points became a thing (are they though?) I got my 114th point by mocking the system. I have no idea why I got the last one. I wish I could be an arbiter of trophy points. If you make me laugh while at dinner with my wife and I can’t explain why it’s funny, you get an extra trophy point. If you post the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over hoping just one person will finally agree with you, you lose one. Or two. Depends.
Agree. Cracks me uo for no appparent reaason. I also got an extra one in the most recent sever switch. I thought i finally caught you, but no you got the 115th to remain the reigning champ

Wexahu

I agree, context is important. Its important to know what a guy was working with when he shows up.

That said, his best finish was 5th (3rd in his division) which was 2019. 5th is average. 85th ranked defense this year, that is poor. 1-2 in bowl games is poor. Something like 9-25 vs top 25 teams? I have not verified that stat. So all that together = mediocre to me.
Bowl game record is almost a totally meaningless stat. And I’d like to know what record against top 25 teams coaches at La Tech, Cal and SMU have had over the past 30-35 years. I doubt it’s very good.

I’m not gonna say the guy has a stellar resume that is beyond being questioned but some of these knocks against him are just stupid. And who else could we get? Let’s wait and see who UW, Va Tech, and some of these other schools hire and then see if those guys have some question marks in their record.

Paint It Purple

True enough, and applicable to anyone who is never anything but a prophet of doom. I'm not always predicting bad things on here; I'm quite bullish about Dykes right now, unlike quite a few. I just thought it was obvious that GP's regime was broken four years ago. That doesn't make me a universal trafficker of woe, it just makes me right in this case.
Ha! You said "bullish about Dykes".

Hey Peace. Does that gets a point?

Moose Stuff

This trophy pint thing is probably my favorite, dumb, long-running bit. Years back when they moved to the newer forum and the trophy points became a thing (are they though?) I got my 114th point by mocking the system. I have no idea why I got the last one. I wish I could be an arbiter of trophy points. If you make me laugh while at dinner with my wife and I can’t explain why it’s funny, you get an extra trophy point. If you post the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over hoping just one person will finally agree with you, you lose one. Or two. Depends.
I just want to know who Delmonico is.

Endless Purple

Not that I know of, but that is an interesting idea. He's a proven guy, successful at several stops. Only problem I can think of is the level of competition that he coaches at - mostly been FCS. That and his age could be a detriment. I think he's in his 60s.

He looks younger than 60 by many years, even then age is not a major factor for me unless we are talking 75-80. I like that he has won at several different levels with championships at different levels. It does not bother me that it was at FCS with SHSU because he also had FCS level players.

It seems he was happy getting SHSU to a championship, but not sure he can do it again with them in CUSA. He is not a perfect coach, but looks far better than most all others. (Much better than Dykes as a coach, IMO)

flyfishingfrog

Bowl game record is almost a totally meaningless stat. And I’d like to know what record against top 25 teams coaches at La Tech, Cal and SMU have had over the past 30-35 years. I doubt it’s very good.

I’m not gonna say the guy has a stellar resume that is beyond being questioned but some of these knocks against him are just stupid. And who else could we get? Let’s wait and see who UW, Va Tech, and some of these other schools hire and then see if those guys have some question marks in their record.
So your entire premise is he did better at SMU than anyone else in their past so he will do better than an anyone else at TCU?

How is that any more valid than the fact that he has only 1 conference championship in 12 years as a HC and never finished above the middle of the conference in a weaker conference while at SMU?

Or that at every other stop he has had as HC - others did better than he did?

Take his name off of his results as an HC and he is the definition of mediocre. Maybe that is what we deserve in the greater scheme of college football.

But we would never have hired Sonny as our HC if we had needed one previously - for whatever reason we are at this point, I don’t see how anyone can truly believe we didn’t settle for Dykes

Wexahu

So your entire premise is he did better at SMU than anyone else in their past so he will do better than an anyone else at TCU?

How is that any more valid than the fact that he has only 1 conference championship in 12 years as a HC and never finished above the middle of the conference in a weaker conference while at SMU?

Or that at every other stop he has had as HC - others did better than he did?

Take his name off of his results as an HC and he is the definition of mediocre. Maybe that is what we deserve in the greater scheme of college football.

But we would never have hired Sonny as our HC if we had needed one previously - for whatever reason we are at this point, I don’t see how anyone can truly believe we didn’t settle for Dykes
No, that isn't my entire premise, just like him really wanting to be at TCU is the criteria. Why do you keep doing that, don't you think it's a little more nuanced than that?

I don't get what you're saying, if you're hell bent on saying we settled on SD, have at it. Who cares? Unless you're getting the top one or two guys you're settling. And the Florida, USC and LSU jobs are open. If Florida wants Napier and they end up with someone else, they are settling. If LSU wants Aranda and they get Napier, they are settling. If USC wants Aranda and they get someone else, they are settling. Baylor is going to settle for someone. So is Va Tech. So is UW. If Justin Wilcox is the guy they want and they hire him, are they settling? He was 13-22 in the Pac 12.