• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Little of that relates to my post, which is that bringing in a mediocre coach (if its Dykes) to replace GP is a fail. Please give your thoughts on how a guy who has never placed better than 3rd in his division in the past 9 years, who has demonstrated poor defensive teams, is a good hire?

View attachment 10217
Tell me how hiring Napier was guaranteed to be a good hire? Or anyone else? The dice have apparently been rolled. You are trying to assume how the dice are going to land. I’ll reserve judgment for when it hits the number. Or craps out.

Sonny Dykes has never coached at TCU. What he did at Cal is no predictor on how he will do here. Would you have predicted GP would have a terrible 4 year run capped off by a defense that is this laughably bad? Of course not.

gofor2

No time to read back through a few thousand postings. Has the Sam Houston head coach ever been discussed, KC Keeler, or has he come out and said no to moving schools already?
Not that I know of, but that is an interesting idea. He's a proven guy, successful at several stops. Only problem I can think of is the level of competition that he coaches at - mostly been FCS. That and his age could be a detriment. I think he's in his 60s.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Well if you limit your engagements to posters with as many trophy points as you have, it would be a very one sided conversation.
This trophy pint thing is probably my favorite, dumb, long-running bit. Years back when they moved to the newer forum and the trophy points became a thing (are they though?) I got my 114th point by mocking the system. I have no idea why I got the last one. I wish I could be an arbiter of trophy points. If you make me laugh while at dinner with my wife and I can’t explain why it’s funny, you get an extra trophy point. If you post the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over hoping just one person will finally agree with you, you lose one. Or two. Depends.

gofor2

What he did at Cal is no predictor on how he will do here.
I disagree. Cal is P5 program, SMU is not. But for sake of argument, I think that looking at someones last 9 years (Cal and SMU) is a pretty good indicator of what to expect. In Dykes case:
*Poor defense. 85th-115th in the FBS.
*6th place finishes
*1-3 in bowls
*no conference titles
*very poor record vs. top 25 teams. Someone else posted it last week.

Do you think he is going to drastically improve upon that, in a tougher conference?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I think that looking at someones last 9 years is a pretty good indicator of what to expect. In Dykes case:
*6th place finishes
*1-3 in bowls
*no conference titles

Do you think he is going to turn do a 180 in a tougher conference?
Depends on his staff and recruiting/portal skills. It won’t be the same as it was at Cal. Not the staff. Talent. No one knows how someone will do. We could hire Saban and he might go 5-7 in consecutive years here.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I disagree. Cal is P5 program, SMU is not. But for sake of argument, I think that looking at someones last 9 years (Cal and SMU) is a pretty good indicator of what to expect. In Dykes case:
*6th place finishes
*1-3 in bowls
*no conference titles

Do you think he is going to drastically improve upon that, in a tougher conference?
No idea. And you don’t know either. But you are already convinced of an outcome yet to happen. That’s fatalist and an indication that you aren’t thinking beyond emotion. Enjoy being mad at something that hasn’t happened and you can’t know will. There are better ways to spend your time.

y2kFrog

*6th place finishes
*1-3 in bowls
*no conference titles

Have you seen Cal’s facilities? They’re terrible!!!

gofor2

That’s fatalist and an indication that you aren’t thinking beyond emotion.
That's incorrect. I'm using the data available, not emotion, to back up an argument that Dykes is mediocre and the data supports my position.
Your position, from what I can tell, is that we (or I) don't know what is yet to come. Not much of a counter argument.

Chico Dusty

All this coaching search talk reminds me of one of the greatest chess moves ever to sniff out a rat in the organization. Someone in the Browns front office floated out that they were considering bringing in Condoleezza Rice in for the HC vacancy in 2018. What an absurd day in the rumor mill!

y2kFrog

How do you explain his mediocre record at SMU?
No titles
5th place was his best finish (2019)
85th ranked defense this year
Just got hammered 48-14
0-2 in bowl games.
He’s 30-16, that’s not close to mediocre especially at SMU. In fact SMU had 5 winning seasons (3 of those by 1 game) in the 25 years before Dykes showed up.