• The KillerFrogs

Deion video

Wexahu

You're right. He should have taken a more traditional approach. Unpaid GA positions out of college. Bruce around as low-paid analyst until he landed a positions coach gig in his late 20s/early 30s. Then coordinator by 35 and HC at 40. If only he had followed your advice.
Dumb.
The dude won 2 super bowls. Is in the NFL and CFB HOF. Is one of the most prolific kick returners of all time. Devin Hester considered him his mentor. He is the only person to catch a pass and interception in a Super Bowl. Only player to hit a homerun and score a TD in the same week. Considered one of the greatest defensive backs of all time. The dude knows football.
And this is relevant how?

Dave Aranda played linebacker for Redlands High School. I guess Baylor should have hired Mike Singletary instead.

Nick Saban played DB for Kent State.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The dude won 2 super bowls. Is in the NFL and CFB HOF. Is one of the most prolific kick returners of all time. Devin Hester considered him his mentor. He is the only person to catch a pass and interception in a Super Bowl. Only player to hit a homerun and score a TD in the same week. Considered one of the greatest defensive backs of all time. The dude knows football.
Jim Shofner. You may have to look that one up...

Playing ability does not translate to teaching and leadership. (See: Ted Williams, Babe Ruth.) These abilities are different, and often do not translate.

The subject isn’t Roses…..it’s Coaching Experience!

I can‘t trust someone who wraps himself in religion/faith like that. Sounds like he is selling/bragging about himself in the guise of God’s servant. He sounds like a self absorbed televangelist. Nothing humble about it, while speaking of how strong he is and he will overcome—a chosen one. All sounds narcissistic—needing attention—me, me, and me again. I think he even mentions the devil a few times. A self promotion video that at the same time presents mental health questions. Doesn’t seem like a good time to drop that if applying for a coaching job. I am surprised anybody not knowing him on a personal level would feel comfortable with him after watching that.

Last edited:

Eight

maybe, but if you looked at the staff he has put together at jackson state he doesn't know many guys who have coached in the last 3-5 years

asleep003

I believe he’s yet to coach a game, as an assistant or a head coach, in which his kid(s) wasn’t playing. I believe two of them are playing for him now. And he’s never coached above the SWAC level, in any capacity. Think about that.
The SWAC does not participate in the FCS playoffs....

4th. down

I can‘t trust someone who wraps himself in religion/faith like that. Sounds like he is selling/bragging about himself in the guise of God’s servant. He sounds like a self absorbed televangelist. Nothing humble about it, while speaking of how strong he is and he will overcome—a chosen one. All sounds narcissistic—needing attention—me, me, and me again. I think he even mentions the devil a few times. A self promotion video that at the same time presents mental health questions. Doesn’t seem like a good time to drop that if applying for a coaching job. I am surprised anybody not knowing him on a personal level would feel comfortable with him after watching that.

It's the first thing I thought of....just too obvious and he may very well end up on TV as an evangelist and probably draw a significant crowd. I believe LT, for whatever reasons, had to bring his name forward, knowing all along, it wasn't going to happen for Neon Deion.

Wexahu

My biggest fear with Deion being coach is that if things went south, he'd blame everyone but himself and go scorched earth, and then just quit and go do something else. He'll find some other calling. And then TCU would be left cleaning up the colossal mess that would be created.

But it ain't happening. If he wants to be a major college football coach, he should go take whatever G5 job he can get, prove he can get it done there and that he's committed to coaching, and then go from there. I think this is mostly a publicity stunt, though. I doubt he wants to put up with the stress, and dedicate the time and effort it takes to run a P5 program once his kids are done playing.

An-Cap Frog

In the last 25 years, how many NC HCs even played in the NFL?

Toad Jones

I thik the dude won 2 super bowls. Is in the NFL and CFB HOF. Is one of the most prolific kick returners of all time. Devin Hester considered him his mentor. He is the only person to catch a pass and interception in a Super Bowl. Only player to hit a homerun and score a TD in the same week. Considered one of the greatest defensive backs of all time. The dude knows football.

Here is a big one and why TCU won’t touch him …

I really like this man. I think many people view him based on his past image, but he's a coach that I think can make an impact on this program and has shown himself as a leader of men.
Have you thought about the positives of Deion? Gosh almighty, there's a ton of them, IF he can prove the old Deion is long gone and has let the neon die, believe we will singing his praise. I didn't want Deion either and thought about the carnival of the old days, but people often deserve another chance and I'm willing to give it to him. This really could be a fabulous hire.

There's a hole in the wall here in town and you could find Deion sitting at a table, 2 or 3 times a week, esp for breakfast. Very friendly, approachable and would often say "How ya doing" before you had a chance to say hello yourself. He filled into the community quick;y along with the other pro athletes here. His home is still talked about even thought its behind a Market Kroger strip center. He sold it 6/7 yrs or so. The house under roof is 21,000 sq ft. We have a number of retired Cowboys here. Prescott is one of them, Ron Leary and so on. The NBA boys live here and a family member has a close professional dealing with a MLB guy. There are a couple more of them here as well. The manster lives here and he still looks like he could play tomorrow. I never encountered a negative about Deion or the others. If memory serves me, Deion talked to many of the high school players when he lived up here, so coaching is something he wanted to do. He loves working with the kids, I mean he spent many long hours with all the kids, talking giving help where he could. That folks was 9-10 yrs ago, that doesn't sound like a carnival barker does it? If everything goes according to schedule and TCU comes out firing all guns and winning those first few games, that beautiful stadium will b filled to capacity and tickets will be hard to come by. Add recruiting well., How many colleges coach's have accomplished so many awards as Deion? If you think about that for two seconds, most high school athletes would jump at the chance to play and brag to their family, fellow classmates..I play for Deion Sanders. Don't kid yourself, they'll knock the door down here. I'm giving him the chance and you know what...TCU just may have pulled off the biggest hire in many a year. I hope, I so deserve it and so do you!

Toad Jones

Hey Top, your in the media industry and therefore closer to sources. Is your statement speculation or based from first hand sources. Just asking b/c ur a media guy and possibly hv knowledge.