• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Max Duggan or Chandler Morris? TCU football faces QB decision heading into Baylor game

Toad Jones

Send in the German.
The German kid (that's rude to address that way) does anyone know of his progress? All I have read is he is enormously talented and big. He reminds me in size of the Pittsburg Steeler QB. TCU offered so there is something there but what?

Wild rumor yesterday, LSU is looking at GP. For fact GP wants to coach but from what I know, I question that action with LSU. It's like a cookie pattern, you put dough in it but you find you don't have enough dough to fill the cookie pattern and those Cajuns won't give much time to make changes. (say again its only a rumor). These schools who are after head coach's will give GP a strong look but once they read different articles of GP; look at recent game films and investigate, believe they will they give Gary pause. He's has to make some of changes in coaching and I wonder if he can do that. Again, his station stop may be best suited in places like NM State or UNM where he has a background. Could immediately improve play with either school but its cold there in the winter and GP loves warm waters and palm trees. (raised in Kansas on a farm and you do remember those cold winds on the flat plains of Kansas). It's really none of my concern now, but I'm grateful for his time at TCU and hope the best for him.

If we land Coach Pete, you will see a change in management, staff force talent and QB play. To my knowledge he always had very good QB play and those QB's display consistent ability to make play after play. There's an article there Drew, interview Kellen Moore and let him tell you of Coach Pete. That would be interesting! Boise State in the middle of no where were consistently good and played anybody and most of the time won. As I remember, BS gave the great (ha) SEC schools fits. They gave TCU some exciting games that's for sure. C'mom Pete give TCU a look. Great people down here, one of the best universities in the country and Ft. Worth, well culturally, one of the best.

qb

AroundWorldFrog

The German kid (that's rude to address that way) does anyone know of his progress? All I have read is he is enormously talented and big. He reminds me in size of the Pittsburg Steeler QB. TCU offered so there is something there but what?

Wild rumor yesterday, LSU is looking at GP. For fact GP wants to coach but from what I know, I question that action with LSU. It's like a cookie pattern, you put dough in it but you find you don't have enough dough to fill the cookie pattern and those Cajuns won't give much time to make changes. (say again its only a rumor). These schools who are after head coach's will give GP a strong look but once they read different articles of GP; look at recent game films and investigate, believe they will they give Gary pause. He's has to make some of changes in coaching and I wonder if he can do that. Again, his station stop may be best suited in places like NM State or UNM where he has a background. Could immediately improve play with either school but its cold there in the winter and GP loves warm waters and palm trees. (raised in Kansas on a farm and you do remember those cold winds on the flat plains of Kansas). It's really none of my concern now, but I'm grateful for his time at TCU and hope the best for him.

If we land Coach Pete, you will see a change in management, staff force talent and QB play. To my knowledge he always had very good QB play and those QB's display consistent ability to make play after play. There's an article there Drew, interview Kellen Moore and let him tell you of Coach Pete. That would be interesting! Boise State in the middle of no where were consistently good and played anybody and most of the time won. As I remember, BS gave the great (ha) SEC schools fits. They gave TCU some exciting games that's for sure. C'mom Pete give TCU a look. Great people down here, one of the best universities in the country and Ft. Worth, well culturally, one of the best.

qb
I could see GP being DC at LSU. I'd bet my life savings that he won't be HC at a major P5 school.

dawg

Has a former HC of his stature ever taken a job as a coordinator? I can’t see him working for someone else anymore.

If LSU hires Aranda, I could see him offering and LHCGMFP accepting a role as DC. He's always been a mad scientist, seemingly far happier spending his time in the lab cooking up defense rather than dealing with all the BS a HC has to deal with. Add in the modern inconveniences of NIL, the portal, and even moodier-ass teenagers... "you deal with all that, coach; Imma go gameplan for Auburn." I could see him taking a year or two as DC.

Wexahu

If LSU hires Aranda, I could see him offering and LHCGMFP accepting a role as DC. He's always been a mad scientist, seemingly far happier spending his time in the lab cooking up defense rather than dealing with all the BS a HC has to deal with. Add in the modern inconveniences of NIL, the portal, and even moodier-ass teenagers... "you deal with all that, coach; Imma go gameplan for Auburn." I could see him taking a year or two as DC.
Maybe so, but it's really, really hard for a guy that's been doing everything his way for 20 years to all sudden be comfortable deferring to someone else, especially when that someone else is 15 years younger.

AroundWorldFrog

Maybe so, but it's really, really hard for a guy that's been doing everything his way for 20 years to all sudden be comfortable deferring to someone else, especially when that someone else is 15 years younger.
Or he might relish the opportunity to go back to his expertise and try it in the SEC. I don't think any of us can predict what he'll do. Except Kelsey, cause she's gonna tell him what to do.

CountryFrog

Has a former HC of his stature ever taken a job as a coordinator? I can’t see him working for someone else anymore.
Don't know for sure but we all know GP is pretty atypical in a number of different ways so I wouldn't be shocked if he did something like that. I'd say it would probably have to be a really really big job to take a DC role. And I mean bigger than LSU. I'm talking Alabama, Ohio St or an NFL team.

I don't think he'll get that kind of opportunity but all it takes is one NFL owner to get infatuated with GP's reputation as a defensive genius. Wasn't that long ago that a failed Texas Tech coach with no history of winning at all was given a head job in the NFL.

Toad Jones

Agree with exception on occasion the drive in the mind is so great to prove something to yourself and others, that you'll accept[t those challenges. How I wish Gary would take a job as DC in a P-5 school. The only you have to take charge of, is the defense. In short time he'll get over his ego. I don't have to remind you that Gary could buy a 120 ft sailing craft and challenge the oceans. What an advantage that is and relish in the thought of freedom it provides. At 61 and millions, friends everywhere, he should be shouting with great joy. Maybe he is, but knowing GP's personality, I don't think so. He truly is at a station in life where many of us had to face and we're still contributing to society. You know I wonder how Kelsey is handling this. Batchas a hundred dollars she's madder than a smarm of bees.

Toad Jones

Right on the money especially the moody-part of the post

CountryFrog

Morris is tiny. Little bitty. I was terrified that he would be crushed like a bug out there. Rolled over on and squished...

With this in mind, who is the backup to the backup? Downing? How many snaps has he taken?

Ugh...
No smaller than Kyler Murray and he survived. Of course he also had one of the best OL's in the country protecting him. But he still ran a lot and took hits. And he's still taking hits in the NFL without a great OL.

Then there's a guy like Carson Wentz who is the prototypical QB physically. Big and strong. But can't hardly go 2-3 games in a row without sustaining some kind of injury.

So you never know.

LisaLT

Don't know for sure but we all know GP is pretty atypical in a number of different ways so I wouldn't be shocked if he did something like that. I'd say it would probably have to be a really really big job to take a DC role. And I mean bigger than LSU. I'm talking Alabama, Ohio St or an NFL team.

I don't think he'll get that kind of opportunity but all it takes is one NFL owner to get infatuated with GP's reputation as a defensive genius. Wasn't that long ago that a failed Texas Tech coach with no history of winning at all was given a head job in the NFL.
No way. I can't see GP in the NFL. Those guys are not going to be ok with his style of screaming at them like he does college kids. And KK was a former QB with a good offensive mind and knows how to develop QBs, a skill set highly coveted by NFL teams. The stars aligned for KK. Right team at the right time. Great QB.

Toad Jones

No smaller than Kyler Murray and he survived. Of course he also had one of the best OL's in the country protecting him. But he still ran a lot and took hits. And he's still taking hits in the NFL without a great OL.

Then there's a guy like Carson Wentz who is the prototypical QB physically. Big and strong. But can't hardly go 2-3 games in a row without sustaining some kind of injury.

So you never know.
We hope his defense radar is working. This kid could do it I'm told.
No way. I can't see GP in the NFL. Those guys are not going to be ok with his style of screaming at them like he does college kids. And KK was a former QB with a good offensive mind and knows how to develop QBs, a skill set highly coveted by NFL teams. The stars aligned for KK. Right team at the right time. Great QB.
Hey Lisa, for a California girl, your pretty savvy. I think we could become good posting buddies!

CountryFrog

I agree. But I don't own an NFL team. I think everything you're saying is true, but again, some of these owners get ideas in their head and do things that don't make sense once they find a couple yes men to tell them it's a good idea.

I think it's incredibly unlikely but I don't think it's impossible by any means.

Zubaz

We really have a QB named Sam Jackson? If so, I move that we adopt XFL-style uniforms where you can put your nickname on the back. An "MFer" jersey would sell like hotcakes and really put a dent in this NIL dilemma.

Two birds.