• The KillerFrogs

The Post LHCGP Coach Discussion

Mean Purple

Dykes would be a safe hire on many fronts. He has P5 HC experience. He has paved recruiting in roads throughout Texas. He has done a remarkable job at SMU. He may not be the next Nick Sabin but he sure is a proven HC who should take little time to get up to speed. He should be able to minimize portal defections and also bring in talent where its needed. You don’t follow a legendary HC with a sub-conference HC. TCU’s current roster deserves better and DYKES is the right guy now.
SMU would have been one of my safety schools, if I was applying to community college.

Smitty

IMO opinion a new coach should not be hired until we secure a new AD. I have zero faith of a head coach search being run by JD. In fact, my first preference would be to fire JD, replace him with GP and then let GP pick his successor

IMO opinion a new coach should not be hired until we secure a new AD. I have zero faith of a head coach search being run by JD. In fact, my first preference would be to fire JD, replace him with GP and then let GP pick his successor
iu

arlingtonbell

Traylor was given a contract extension this last week end and he signed it. Traylor gone. They might give Fuente a look but that is all. I think they have in mind an up and coming coach with reputation of excellence who's age is in the late 30's or early forties. Remember this is just like a divorce, for some reason you are attracted to the opposite of what you had. They'll figure it out and realize the urgency of it b/c of recruiting. The old coaching bunch have left detailed reports on kids and that is a great start for a new coaching staff.
Exactly my thought process. I think Dykes is an excellent coach but hes as old as Gary if i had a choice it would be Napier or Chadwell, 2 young coaches with younger staffs. With the Portal and NIL crap i believe its more important than ever to have staffs that have the energy to deal with such

Exactly my thought process. I think Dykes is an excellent coach but hes as old as Gary if i had a choice it would be Napier or Chadwell, 2 young coaches with younger staffs. With the Portal and NIL crap i believe its more important than ever to have staffs that have the energy to deal with such
Dykes is almost 10 years younger than GP, FWIW.

Edit-Chadwell is 7 years younger than Dykes and Napier is a little less than 10.

Last edited:

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
You may probably think I’m a nobody and that’s okay I feel no need to justify as I’ve never been on this forum before. I’ve only been behind the scenes as a person who ensures our facilities are in competition with our rivals. Anyhow the confirmed details as I understand are that there was a meeting of Vic Bo, and two donors I won’t name on Thursday and they decided that if we lost to K St Gary would be asked to resign
He refused and they fired him

Vic and Donati sat down with P today and finalized it.

The way it happened does not surprise me Coach Patterson is not a quitter and would never resign voluntarily. It’s a bitter sweet new page yet to be written in Tcu Football history
This is pretty much in line with what I’ve been told, especially as to the two donors who met with Vbo last week before the KSt game

Frogs1983

Matt wells made 50% of GP or $3mm less

Not similar gigs
Gary didn't always make $6 Mil at TCU either. Don't know what he made when initially promoted from D coordinator to HC at TCU, but pretty sure it wasn't anywhere near the coin he was banking recently.
Big difference between paying a 3rd season HC than a 20 plus year HC with skins on the wall.

Frogs1983

Neither am I. His style hasn't won [ #2020 ] at SMU - so they have finished 3rd place in the AAC, big whoop.

The Cal job was a ridiculously bad fit. He’s been successful everywhere else he’s coached, relative to the quality of job. Always had good offenses as both a HC and OC.

Not saying he’s perfect, just saying TCU on paper is a great fit and it could work. And if he’s successful, I’m not sure he’d jump ship in 3-4 years.
All that and added bonus of "sticking it" to SMEW as well!

Fiscuits

We are already loaded with talent.
Our team is so loaded from top to bottom (and a ton returning next year.) ANY coach will see that and be tripping over themselves. This is not a rebuild....we are already stocked to the gills. We just need a coach to put a new spin on what we do.

While it may not seem like it now - THIS IS A GOOD THING!!!!

Toad Jones

He would be a dream come true.
Suggested that a few days back. Oh man what a pick this would be. Great, no fantastic coach and one of the best men you will would ever encounter. He left Boise after making them a winner and took on one of the west coast schools. Made them an immediate winner and resigned b/c his son needed specialized medical procedures. Ask any college or NFL coach anywhere and ask him about Chris Pete. You might want to sit down b/c that will take some time. Don't remember the names the pro clubs that wanted him but said, no thanks. WHAT a fit for TCU...!!! and he just might entertain the offer. Kellen Moore the offensive coordinator with the Dallas Cowboys, his coach in college.......Chris Peterson who also recruited him. Remember the frogs were number #2 in national ranks. Number 3, Chris Peterman's bunch at Boise. Boise took on LSU in one of the bowls and beat them. The next year they went to another major bowl and won there to. We went to Scottsdale and played Boise, two top ten teams at that point.

Last edited:

Fiscuits

Agree, except with the “deserved to be fired”. Go look through the Cal football history, other than that first year he had which was probably cleaning up the mess left him as much as anything, he was on par with about every other coach they’ve had. It’s just a hard place to win because they care more about counterculture than football. Probably more a case of why did we hire a Texan than deserved to be fired.
I am on the Cal Berkeley campus every other month...to put it lightly...it is a larger [ Finebaum ] hole than Tijuana. On top of, no one and I mean no one cares about football at Cal. It's an academic university only. I have no idea how they field a team. The athletic department is literally bankrupt. If you have ever spent any time there, its amazing they field a team.

Spike

Seriously not trying to be contrarian here but isnt what Patterson did today quitting? He was essentially fired but thats for NEXT YEAR they asked him to stay 5 more weeks. For a Coach who talks alot about loyalty and kids staying and fighting thru adversity i feel this is a bad look for Coach P and definitely not surprising as he seems like the type to go out in a blaze of fire.
They told him that KB could not dance to his music and he bolted in a huff.

Fiscuits

Folks, some of y'all need to get out of the pre-Patterson ere mindset on who we hire. Heck, pre-2010 mindset.
This is an "ultra attractive" job opening, as many have said across sports media across the national air wives today.
The facilities are top 10, the money is top 10 and the recruiting footprint is top 10. TCU is a better job than Tech. Dykes would be base level.

So go big. Get a person who has fire and can win. Ignore the age issues. Experience and wins matter. A guy in his 50s is nothing these days. And the assistants are the ties for recruiting.. HC closes the deal.
Amen. TCU doesn't need to do a damn thing. EVERYONE knows how nice of a place this is. Facilities, money, recruiting, etc...if you have ever been to ANY other athletic facility and spent any time (college or pro)....TCU is top 20 in the nation. Bar one. I have been to a majority of them all and TCU is not "behind" anyone. Some are "larger" due to student body size...but NONE are "nicer" and more comprehensive.

TCU is an easy, easy, easy, sell.