• The KillerFrogs

You got what you wanted

Fiscuits

It was a good kind of accident, then.

Cmon. You can make plenty of case with the other years without that silliness.

We also appeared in the Big 12 Championship game that year.
I agree, 2017 was great!

But that was half a decade ago.

If we would have had a good season (7-2 in Big 12) in 2019 or 2020…then this decision would be hard to understand.

We’ve been bottom 1/3 of Big 12 since 2016 and bottom 1/3 of Big 2012 since the day we joined.

2014 and 2015 were awesome!!! But 3 out of 10 seasons doesn’t cut it over all.

Fiscuits

Yeah, ideally Patterson should’ve retired right after that Alamo Bowl

giphy-downsized-large.gif
Hindsight being 20/20 you’re probably right. It’s the last year we were remotely relevant.

Coming off of 2017 what have we done…..nothing but got worse.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I, for one, am astounded at the power we KillerFrogs folk possess! Why, merely lifting our fingers causes the Great and Mighty to tremble with fear, and leap to do our bidding when commanded! Careers will be dashed upon the rocks! Stalwart Programs laid waste! All will gaze upon us, and despair!!!!

If anybody is interested, I'll be working on moving an asteroid into an impact course for Waco in a few weeks. Come on by for a beer or two, and lend your psychokinetic powers to this grand endeavour...

Froginbedford

So we’re supposed to keep paying him $6 million per year for 3 to 6 win seasons? For how long? That’s ridiculous. TCU is in danger of becoming a doormat again.

I would’ve preferred to see him retire after a good season, but the team quit on him.

I’m just thankful he isn’t going out with a humiliating loss to Baylor or Kansas.
And Iowa State....

Dogfrog

5 of last 6 seasons we lost more in conference than we won. 2017 was an anomaly, an accident….not the norm. It was time. Plus, using your metric…2017 was four seasons ago.
you said we were five years too late getting rid of Gary. I merely pointed out to you that we finished top 10 four years ago. And top 10’s weren’t an anomaly. We finished top 10 in 2015 and 2014. Also in 2010, 2009, and 2008. Also finished ranked 11 times.

Not suggesting it wasn’t time for Gary to go. It’s just that trying to rewrite history is ignorant.

jack the frog

I, for one, am astounded at the power we KillerFrogs folk possess! Why, merely lifting our fingers causes the Great and Mighty to tremble with fear, and leap to do our bidding when commanded! Careers will be dashed upon the rocks! Stalwart Programs laid waste! All will gaze upon us, and despair!!!!

If anybody is interested, I'll be working on moving an asteroid into an impact course for Waco in a few weeks. Come on by for a beer or two, and lend your psychokinetic powers to this grand endeavour...
I would be interested

Frog-in-law1995

So either Waco is obliterated, or I drink a few beers, or both? I don’t really see a down side with this plan.

AustinFrog

Just heard the news.

All of you SOBs got what you wanted.

Worst decision EVER by TCU athletics.

Hope all the folks who have taken over this board with the their negativity and spoiled attitudes are happy. For the most part, you guys do not have a clue.

Gary - Thank you. It has been a helluva ride.
I see your worst decision ever and raise you Jim Schofner and/or Moe Iba

Deep Purple

Are you sure about your history. Gary and Dennis where both there when things were turning around. Yes, Franchione had the HC title but how did their careers unfold after they went separate ways? Franchione ended up back at Texas State and CGP was the 10th highest paid coach in the country with a life size bronze outside the stadium he built. Maybe it was not all coach Fran who turned it around.
TCU hired Fran, not Gary. Gary would never have been at TCU if Fran hadn't brought him along.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain

I think I found my new signature...

SackLunch

Where are you getting your numbers?

Also, your history is a little hazy. The TCU football turnaround didn't start with Gary Patterson, it started with Dennis Franchione. Patterson carried on what Fran started.
No, it started with Patterson. Fran wasn't anything without GP and proved it when he left because he was never relevant again.

Deep Purple

No, it started with Patterson. Fran wasn't anything without GP and proved it when he left because he was never relevant again.
Without GP, Fran took Bama from a 6-5 reg season record in 2001 to 10-3 in 2002 and a West Division SEC championship. Missed a shot at the conference championship only because Bama was ineligible for post-season play due to cheating under previous coach Mike Dubose.

Fran's subsequent irrelevance was largely due to his own hubris and dishonesty. Had nothing at all to do with GP.

HornyWartyToad

TCU hired Fran, not Gary. Gary would never have been at TCU if Fran hadn't brought him along.
The same logic can apply just as well against Gary, as for him: Substitute Gary for Fran, and Bumpas for Gary and it's the same idea. The last really nasty, intimidating and inspiring defensive performance by TCU (that I can recall) was in the Peach vs. Ol Miss. . . Coincidentally, just before Bump retired.

Gary did great stuff at TCU. He deserved to have been rewarded and was, handsomely, but it's silly to hear folks suggesting that without him, TCU was forever doomed. The primary credit for the resurrection belongs to the big cigars who made the conscious decision that we would indeed have a resurrection. And then committed the resources to make it happen.

Gary was a great driver for a time, but stop pretending like he built the damn car, or that he was the only one who could possibly have driven it. There have been other great coaches at other schools who did great things during the same era. If not Gary, then TCU would have found someone else to elevate the program, and will again.