• The KillerFrogs

The Post LHCGP Coach Discussion

TCUdirtbag

It's like they haven't even looked at his track record at VT the past few years.

Only thing going for Fuente is there’s no buyout to pay if you got fired from your last job. So if every single TCU donor suffers major financial losses in the next 4 weeks and we don’t have money to pay any buyouts, then maybe Fuente gets the call.

Wexahu

Neither am I. His style hasn't won [ #2020 ] at SMU - so they have finished 3rd place in the AAC, big whoop.
Yeah you might consistently win 7-8 games each year but this is exactly what people were angry about with GP, tired of going 7-5 and wanting more. Hire a coach with a higher upside and ceiling instead of a high floor like you would get with Dykes.
The Cal job was a ridiculously bad fit. He’s been successful everywhere else he’s coached, relative to the quality of job. Always had good offenses as both a HC and OC.

Not saying he’s perfect, just saying TCU on paper is a great fit and it could work. And if he’s successful, I’m not sure he’d jump ship in 3-4 years.

TCUdirtbag

I’d call Stoops (could have any job he wanted and his kid is still at OU), Petersen (always going to be west coast), Moore (turned down his alma mater and is probably going to get an NFL HC gig soon), Fickell (not leaving Cinci for Texas), and Venables (this won’t be the one) just to make *their agents* tell you no. Which they will. Then I’d call some interesting ones just to see if they’d interview—Helfrich isn’t coaching and Chip Kelly is struggling to make it work in LA. If they were interested interview em just to see if they impress. I’d even interview Tom Herman—things didn’t work at UT but they never do for anyone in Austin. Then I’d field the calls from the well-known “hot” G5 coaches and kick the tires on em—Dykes, Traylor, Napier, etc. See where you are and if you need to feel out P5 coordinators. You probably still land on Dykes or Traylor. But with 4 weeks that’s probably a rough look at how a search will go (though in real life there will be a lot more names at each of those levels).

stadiumfrog

I’d call Stoops (could have any job he wanted and his kid is still at OU), Petersen (always going to be west coast), Moore (turned down his alma mater and is probably going to get an NFL HC gig soon), Fickell (not leaving Cinci for Texas), and Venables (this won’t be the one) just to make *their agents* tell you no. Which they will. Then I’d call some interesting ones just to see if they’d interview—Helfrich isn’t coaching and Chip Kelly is struggling to make it work in LA. If they were interested interview em just to see if they impress. I’d even interview Tom Herman—things didn’t work at UT but they never do for anyone in Austin. Then I’d field the calls from the well-known “hot” G5 coaches and kick the tires on em—Dykes, Traylor, Napier, etc. See where you are and if you need to feel out P5 coordinators. You probably still land on Dykes or Traylor. But with 4 weeks that’s probably a rough look at how a search will go (though in real life there will be a lot more names at each of those levels).
Call Tom Herman

Chico Dusty

You gotta find the new, young gun - either a coordinator at P5 or HC at mid major G5. Late 30s, early 40s - that is innovating and plowing past these retreads. I don’t know who that is, as that’s not my job, but they’re out there.

Calling for these coaches at other school, that have had the opportunity to win and go the distance and haven’t - but will some how magically figure it out here. That’s not the ticket.

All the coaches in NFL that are leading the charge are sub 45 and have never been a head coach in the league before.

Wexahu

You gotta find the new, young gun - either a coordinator at P5 or HC at mid major G5. Late 30s, early 40s - that is innovating and plowing past these retreads. I don’t know who that is, as that’s not my job, but they’re out there.

Calling for these coaches at other school, that have had the opportunity to win and go the distance and haven’t - but will some how magically figure it out here. That’s not the ticket.

All the coaches in NFL that are leading the charge are sub 45 and have never been a head coach in the league before.
There are just as many of those guys failing that are succeeding. You just don’t hear so much about them.

Much more important to have a good QB.

Chico Dusty

There are just as many of those guys failing that are succeeding. You just don’t hear so much about them.

Much more important to have a good QB.

I don’t disagree, but that’s the challenge and that’s the ticket - finding the right guy. No doubt it’s easier said then done.

With your last comment, sure maybe. Hard to say for some - like KK, who is only had 1 QB. But McVay is 100% the reason (over the QB). Jared Goff has never won an NFL game without him - and McVay took him to the Super Bowl. There are dudes out there that are the next wave. Those are guys we gotta find. If not, sure let’s hire Dykes and be above average. I’d rather swing for the fences.