• The KillerFrogs

GP / DM -

Mean Purple

Easier said than done. OU pretty much took Bijan out of the game in the second half. Their run defense is way, way, way better than Tech's....and their coach isn't dumb enough to keep a 3 down front on a team that completed 4 passes in the first half. I think we're going to have to, at the very least, keep them honest with a passing game if we want a chance.
I thought it was because Bijan was tired?

I do that right?

Froggish

I do get the feeling that some people on here think we can just hand off to Evans (or Miller I guess) on every play and we'd never be stopped.

True. However I do think if TCU is going to beat OU they need to dirty it up and sludge. That might mean the offense is going to look crazy ugly. Efficiency over everything else. If you put the ball in the air you got to complete them. Whatever we do schematically, the clock needs to be running constantly. Shorter the game the better. I think we are going to be in a [ Finebaum ] load of 3rd and +5 situations. The question is how do we handle those? Is Max good enough to throw us to 1st downs?

Eight

I do get the feeling that some people on here think we can just hand off to Evans (or Miller I guess) on every play and we'd never be stopped.

PerfectDemandingIndianpangolin-size_restricted.gif

worked every time with bo

apparently madden as their own version of some player that was created

bmDvs1P5CkNgABZEUosYGmJh6mrH9BwaoXOSH76LFpCtCv2A7K6zktMKqlQa0eix70ECZA15HxCLEPXnrPzp5co4qKx9KzA8Yx6McsITfljvmA

Wexahu

True. However I do think if TCU is going to beat OU they need to dirty it up and sludge. That might mean the offense is going to look crazy ugly. Efficiency over everything else. If you put the ball in the air you got to complete them. Whatever we do schematically, the clock needs to be running constantly. Shorter the game the better. I think we are going to be in a [ #2020 ] load of 3rd and +5 situations. The question is how do we handle those? Is Max good enough to throw us to 1st downs?

I agree. And I guarantee you if we are in a bunch of 3rd and 5's and run on the majority of them (and most likely not make most of them), then people will be complaining that the play calling is way too conservative.

The key is balance. It seems like so many times we are passing (or going out of an empty set) when we don't really need to be, and then in situations where we need to be throwing the ball some, the coaches act like they are afraid to. I know the second half of the Tech isn't the greatest barometer, but that would have been a good time to kind of try and get the passing game clicking, and I swear it looked like we were scared to death to put the ball in the air. A bunch of runs on 3rd and medium.....like we were trying to run out the clock halfway through the 3rd quarter.

I know I'm reaching for a complaint, but that's what it looked like to me.

PO Frog

I agree. And I guarantee you if we are in a bunch of 3rd and 5's and run on the majority of them (and most likely not make most of them), then people will be complaining that the play calling is way too conservative.

The key is balance. It seems like so many times we are passing (or going out of an empty set) when we don't really need to be, and then in situations where we need to be throwing the ball some, the coaches act like they are afraid to. I know the second half of the Tech isn't the greatest barometer, but that would have been a good time to kind of try and get the passing game clicking, and I swear it looked like we were scared to death to put the ball in the air. A bunch of runs on 3rd and medium.....like we were trying to run out the clock halfway through the 3rd quarter.

I know I'm reaching for a complaint, but that's what it looked like to me.
Remember who our coach is? Of course we were. He was also obsessed with the officials winding the clock after a review or injury or something at one point even though we were up by 3 or 4 scores. Maybe he knows we really can’t stop anyone…

Wexahu

Remember who our coach is? Of course we were. He was also obsessed with the officials winding the clock after a review or injury or something at one point even though we were up by 3 or 4 scores. Maybe he knows we really can’t stop anyone…

The easiest way to let a team down 3 scores back in the game is for the offense to get lazy and conservative and do nothing but try and kill clock. And that's what we were doing there for a good while. Thankfully the Tech D was so painfully bad it didn't matter.

I get not snapping the ball with 20 seconds on the play clock, I get mixing in a few more runs. But NEVER just concede 3 and outs for the sake of keeping the clock running. Always try and score. 21 can get to 7 in a real hurry, as we all know.

Wexahu

Of course not. That would be absurd. Max will need to keep the ball himself and run 10-15 times as well.

Well, he is basically a running back.

Seriously, if he just focused on that I'd bet he'd be pretty damn good at it. The wheels and extra gear he showed on that one run......wow. He looks as fast as any guy on the field. And he's definitely tough enough to take some hits.

CardFrog

Seriously, if he just focused on that I'd bet he'd be pretty damn good at it. The wheels and extra gear he showed on that one run......wow. He looks as fast as any guy on the field. And he's definitely tough enough to take some hits.
Agree. Miller looked pretty salty as well.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
A thing seen this last weekend that was not seen previously: Execution. We executed plays. Showed perfect timing. Got excellent blocking from everybody, including the WR positions.

As Mrs. Brewingfrog said after the second TD: "Who are these guys?"

Eight

We currently lead the Big 12 in offensive passing down success rate, which has been our achilles heel in past seasons.

good point and good info

max throwing the ball on 3rd down was 5 of 5 for 46 yards and the frogs converted 3 of those 5 3rd downs. they had a 4 and 1 on the other which evans converted.

not sure what else can be expect and while i agree it would have been nice to hit the open receiver i am good with 8 of 10 and the deep ball to davis was as moose said earlier the best deep ball he has thrown all season

CountryFrog

Agree. The guy is unbelievably athletic. I think he could play a number of positions at a high level. Would probably make a hell of a center fielder as well.

And before some smartass hits the ball off the tee that I just setup saying "I wish QB was one of those positions he could play at a high level" then whoever you are (ticketfrog) you can shove that comment up your arse.