• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘There is no wrong.’ TCU’s Patterson delivers NIL message to local business leaders

Pharm Frog

huh? Why would my boss say that? Maybe we are talking about two different things

CGP said what he said and that seems to fly in the face of what we've learned about how the admin has been working this NIL thing. My post clearly stated I don't care. You don't care either. The one that might care is CGP who is now making national news that seems to be antagonistic to what his "boss" has said. VBo isn't likely to call you and yell at you but is he going to be happy with CGP making these pitches in open forum and creating news? I dunno...that's the fun part to me,

Pharm Frog

I’m pretty sure Gary knew he was going to be quoted and this was gonna be put out there. It wasn’t an accident he’s calling out the people coming after his players and he’s calling out his boosters at the same time.

I think you may have left out the primary target of his "calling out".

MAcFroggy

So basically what we do on a regular basis. Gary’s point was dead on. Did he exaggerate to make it? Sure. I usually don’t care for that from him but in this instance I applaud it. He needed to get people’s attention and saying we could lose 3-5 players wouldn’t have done that AT ALL.

Over time gary's stories get bigger and bigger.

We could lose 3-5 players

We could lose 25 players

We could lose 50 players

We could lose the entire roster.

He has always exaggerated to get his story across. It is what it is. Haha

HG73

We seldom (never) get the super player(s) that are going to make million$ anyway. We won the Rose Bowl with 2 and 3 star players.

froglash88

We seldom (never) get the super player(s) that are going to make million$ anyway. We won the Rose Bowl with 2 and 3 star players.

Gary has been working hard to build a name/brand (the right way over a long period of time) that finally starting attracting more and more of the Elite players. Now NIL and the transfer portal are about to kill that effort.

This is not what college sport are supposed to be about. It’s actually rather disgusting.

Eight

Gary has been working hard to build a name/brand (the right way over a long period of time) that finally starting attracting more and more of the Elite players. Now NIL and the transfer portal are about to kill that effort.

This is not what college sport are supposed to be about. It’s actually rather disgusting.

college sports haven't been what the are 'supposed to be about" for decades now

Froggish

At the NIL event last night, I saw a few folks who control large publicly traded and private concerns who I believe will do more than their part to see to it that TCU's recruits and athletes get properly nourished. In the 40+ years I've been following TCU sports, I've always been amazed at how TCU gets enough supporters to come through to give the programs enough resources to compete, but they somehow have- it was just that the administration was too lilly white until the SWC blew apart then got it in gear. TCU punches way above its weight class with regard to having wealthy and influential supporters.

What wasn't reported from last night was that Gary said that NIL is old business for the SEC- that they've been at this for many years. Gary was in rare form last night- he asked Dixon about his turnover last year and said he could see a large turnover in football if we don't get it in gear. Dixon replied that replacing 9 of his 13 scholarship players was not unheard of in today's environment and that he's used to NIL in that it's occurred in youth boys' basketball for decades- sponsorships and endorsements.

The 2% Gary was referring to had to do with the qb from Southlake who had parents that could hire an agent to get him the best NIL deal while the other 98% don't have this kind of knowledge.

One of the Neely guys spoke and said that we're poised for alot of success in NIL in that we have the 3 key ingredients that alot of others don't have- we're in a huge market, we have an football program that has been successful for a long time and access to those that can/will support the NIL needs of TCU.

That sounds positive. Now someone needs to organize them in away that allows the common everyday TCU fan to participate. It’s one thing to go to Opendorse and pay Max to promote the local Taco stand but what will make this powerful is the baseline monthly stipend that a well organized NIL plan could provide all 125 TCU major sport athletes. That’s where the athletics program could really differentiate itself in recruiting

YA

That sounds positive. Now someone needs to organize them in away that allows the common everyday TCU fan to participate. It’s one thing to go to Opendorse and pay Max to promote the local Taco stand but what will make this powerful is the baseline monthly stipend that a well organized NIL plan could provide all 125 TCU major sport athletes. That’s where the athletics program could really differentiate itself in recruiting
That is what smu is doing right now with a pool of their supporters that are not heavy hitters. Already passed their compliance department. We should be doing the same.

The Bad Guy

That is what smu is doing right now with a pool of their supporters that are not heavy hitters. Already passed their compliance department. We should be doing the same.

Do you see local restaurants/bars giving a small percentage of sales to the football roster down the road?

Eight

the model for this has been out there for quite some time

IPTAYSupports_LifeSkills_Post.jpg

LVH

But if the current rules existed then would Kerley, Dalton, Tank, etc have still been on that team as juniors?

I think Kerley sticks around, he had one of the most humble and low key personalities you could have. He wasn't really about the spotlight.

Dalton stays also.

Not sure about Tank.

Moose Stuff

As an example…. Let’s say your 5 year old son is a TCU football fan. How much money are you willing to pay QJ and ZE (or whoever) to come to his birthday party? Need a baby sitter? I bet two women’s soccer players will do it for a couple hundred bucks (assuming you have the money and desire to do it). Or in keeping with the progressive times maybe the ladies show up at the party and QJ and ZE do the babysitting. The possibilities are literally endless.

Froggish

But if the current rules existed then would Kerley, Dalton, Tank, etc have still been on that team as juniors?

I don’t think a guy who’s a starting QB at a P5 program with a good reputation is going to chase NIL dollars very often. His exposure from being the starting QB in a relevant P5 program would seem to be more valuable in the long term than starting over somewhere else. At some point the football part has to meen something to these guys.

How many guys would be a 3rd string OL making 20K a year at Bama vs a 2-3 year starter at TCU making 12K and getting a chance to play your way into an NFL job? ….It’s hard to know how that decision plays out in the mind of an 18 year old

Endless Purple

I thought the schools were not supposed to organize the NIL directly and the players had to do it on their own. I have a feeling there are a lot of people that are jumping the limited rules out there and will never get called on it.

Personally, I just want the 32 or so money school to break away and form their own league. Then the rest of us could get back to creating something that has rules and something to help allow for parity like every major league sport does.

YA

I don’t think a guy who’s a starting QB at a P5 program with a good reputation is going to chase NIL dollars very often. His exposure from being the starting QB in a relevant P5 program would seem to be more valuable in the long term than starting over somewhere else.
Nothing is guaranteed for their future but the here and now. They will chase the dollars everyday.

Eight

I thought the schools were not supposed to organize the NIL directly and the players had to do it on their own. I have a feeling there are a lot of people that are jumping the limited rules out there and will never get called on it.

Personally, I just want the 32 or so money school to break away and form their own league. Then the rest of us could get back to creating something that has rules and something to help allow for parity like every major league sport does.

bingo, the only rules and regulations on the nil stuff are those self-imposed by the institutions so lets not make the same mistake we have done time and time again and scheiss ourselves