• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU vs Cal

Moose Stuff

think the important thing to do is separate expectations and pre-season discussions from the reality which does have some very positive things

evans and johnston have the physical tools to be stars and not just on this team, but a national level. the popular word to toss around is finding some "dudes" for your team, well there are no bigger dudes on this roster than those two and they simply have to get their touches and plays designed to maximize their talent

miller is a very good compliment at back and the frogs have some more talent at receiver so this offense can score some points if they get three things:

1) max must hit the open deep throws. he made a number of very good intermediate throws and did positive things with his legs, but he simply can't leave that many points and yards out on the field with bad throws

2) the offensive line must get more consistent in the run game and the pass pro

3) meacham needs to set up the offense, scheme, and call the plays to use the advantages he has going for him in #1 and #6.

defensively, the frogs have to get their corners healthy or play their safeties back. it is that simply because they are going to face better receiver groups than cal's and they are going to get shredded

the other thing is the defensive front MUST GET CONSISTENT PRESSURE

other than that remember 2-0 is always better than 0-2

Good observations. Max HAS to hit some deep balls. Hell, just throwing one that his WR has a CHANCE to catch would be progress. As for the secondary and DL…. we badly need Coleman and Daniels back by SMU. I’ll also add that Caesar got better as the game wore on and it will only benefit him that he was tested today leading into the SMU game. He’s still gotta be way better.

Eight

Good observations. Max HAS to hit some deep balls. Hell, just throwing one that his WR has a CHANCE to catch would be progress. As for the secondary and DL…. we badly need Coleman and Daniels back by SMU. I’ll also add that Caesar got better as the game wore on and it will only benefit him that he was tested today leading into the SMU game. He’s still gotta be way better.

mentioned in a game thread chuck knobloch and i am not kidding when i ask if the deep throwing issues are a knobloch / steve sax issue now because they have to work on it every day in practice and he has to see during film sessions just how explosive this offense could be it he can make 50% of those deep throws

Eight

For sure and completely agree. I’m on record in this thread stating the same.

this is the part that confuses me with max, he made some throws today that required him to make the right read, anticipate, show accuracy, show touch which he did multiple times

felt like i was watching riley closing games for the frogs when he just needed one more strike and missed the zone badly 3 straight times

FrogCoach84

Saw Max baby a few deep throws after missing so many. That’s what absolutely can’t happen because those get picked.

He does have to find a way to connect on those and some of it is showing confidence in his WRs to make plays for him.

The main issues is his ball trajectory. The simplified QB coaching refers to 1, 2 and 3 balls. 1 is the laser, 2 is the hole shot type throw and 3 is the moon ball.

Max only has the 1 ball in his tool belt.

netty2424

this is the part that confuses me with max, he made some throws today that required him to make the right read, anticipate, show accuracy, show touch which he did multiple times

felt like i was watching riley closing games for the frogs when he just needed one more strike and missed the zone badly 3 straight times
There’s an art to throwing the deep ball, and a lot of it is getting air under it so your receivers can adjust to it.

Max steps into them and throws a flat hard long ball. Just doesn’t work unless you make a perfect precision throw.

Bryce Petty used to just throw moon balls and his fast receivers just ran under them. Can’t do that when the ball is on a flat plane.

Moose Stuff

mentioned in a game thread chuck knobloch and i am not kidding when i ask if the deep throwing issues are a knobloch / steve sax issue now because they have to work on it every day in practice and he has to see during film sessions just how explosive this offense could be it he can make 50% of those deep throws

I mean I get what you’re trying to say but it’s actually the exact opposite of what the “yips” typically is. It’s typically gonna manifest itself as an issue when having to make short/accurate/finesse type throws. Max is an intense dude (and I’m glad he is) he’s gotta find a way to relax when he’s throwing that ball, especially considering who he’s typically throwing it to. Just give QJ a chance. Doesn’t even have to be a great throw.

Eight

watched the highlights on gofrogs (give them credit for having those out so quickly after giving them crap on oth er things) and if people want to know just one of the things that makes evans different is the cut he makes down the field to spin the last defender around and allows him to get into the endzone

you don't or can't teach that and he makes it on the move so smoothly it looked like the runs i saw him make in high school

Moose Stuff

I’m still trying to get past Cal’s decision to throw a deep ball instead of running on 3rd and short late in the first half. Basically allowed Evans to score that late TD. TOTALLY turned the game on it’s heels.