• The KillerFrogs

Football divisions in the new Big 12

Paul in uhh

When the name of the game for playoff entry is “win as many games as possible” I just don’t understand the insistence on making the schedule harder.

Then when you consider that you would lock in 8 home games each year by playing 4 non conference games, it makes even less sense to me that there would be resistance.

Wexahu

If you’re talking about Alabama and Georgia (as of late) I agree.

they also do what they can with scheduling to ensure that a late conference game upset doesn’t remove their conference from the playoff entirely.

Florida, Tennessee, Auburn and LSU are good enough programs to have been able to win national titles in the past 25 years. What conference can even come close to having that kind of top to bottom success? And it's not all because of their scheduling. They beat up on each other quite a bit too. They play 8 conference games, not 5.

It's just the best college football league by a good margin. Period. How anyone doesn't recognize that is beyond me. Best recruiting classes, highest paid coaches, best facilities, most passionate fans, best of everything really. It is what it is.

flyfishingfrog

When the name of the game for playoff entry is “win as many games as possible” I just don’t understand the insistence on making the schedule harder.

Then when you consider that you would lock in 8 home games each year by playing 4 non conference games, it makes even less sense to me that there would be resistance.
did you go to the game last weekend? you want more of that crap?

and our conference will only get a champion in - period - and that is if they playoffs actually expand, if they expand beyond the 4 (or whatever remains) conferences that are actually the top tier , etc.

Eight

again - when you are below the mendoza line already - we don't need more cupcakes

here lies the problem

adding a 4th ooc game that would be another fcs team doesn't do much to build the brand that is tcu and adding a 9th conference game in a conference that is going to be viewed as a step down from what it was with the loss of ou doesn't do much either

what needs to be done is the big 12 must absolutely do a better job of scheduling ooc and unfortunately two of the teams that have done a better job are leaving for the sec.

some like to throw out that it is tough to schedule a good ooc opponent, but is it though? look at the games that were played last weekend and this week we have udub at michigan and uo at THE ohio state before there was any alliances

this isn't just on tcu, but the conference as a whole

82 Frog Fever

here lies the problem

adding a 4th ooc game that would be another fcs team doesn't do much to build the brand that is tcu and adding a 9th conference game in a conference that is going to be viewed as a step down from what it was with the loss of ou doesn't do much either

what needs to be done is the big 12 must absolutely do a better job of scheduling ooc and unfortunately two of the teams that have done a better job are leaving for the sec.

some like to throw out that it is tough to schedule a good ooc opponent, but is it though? look at the games that were played last weekend and this week we have udub at michigan and uo at THE ohio state before there was any alliances

this isn't just on tcu, but the conference as a whole

Completely Agree.
Do you believe there is any real possibility the SEC will want a scheduling partner to somewhat offset the Big/ACC/PAC “Alliance” deal? ....or is that just wishful thinking?

Paul in uhh

did you go to the game last weekend? you want more of that crap?

and our conference will only get a champion in - period - and that is if they playoffs actually expand, if they expand beyond the 4 (or whatever remains) conferences that are actually the top tier , etc.
Look, I also want to beat Ohio state every weekend but that’s not feasible. All I’m saying is that winning gets you higher in the polls, and losing sends you to the cheez it bowl. Why not get an extra november home game that also gets you insurance against a cheez it bowl?

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

Look, I also want to beat Ohio state every weekend but that’s not feasible. All I’m saying is that winning gets you higher in the polls, and losing sends you to the cheez it bowl. Why not get an extra november home game that also gets you insurance against a cheez it bowl?
Beating an extra MAC team doesn’t get you in the playoffs

if you can’t beat one of those 4 scrubs we are adding, you don’t deserve to be in it anyway

TCUdirtbag

The divisions will likely be East/West for travel reasons. This much seems certain

Locks for the West:
1. BYU, 2. Texas Tech, 3. Kansas State, 4. Kansas

Locks for the East:
1. UCF, 2. WVU, 3. Cinci, 4. Houston

how do you divvy up Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, and TCU? TBD. Several options:
- keep the old Big 8 together and send OSU and ISU to the West, with both TCU and BU going East.
- keep Baylor with Tech as founding members and send Baylor and OSU to the West with TCU and ISU to the East (yet ISU is a founding member too)
- follow pretty strict geography and send TCU and OSU West with ISU and BU going East
- ignore the above and just put all 4 TX schools + OSU and UCF in a south division with the rest in a North (this may be best for competitive balance but is problematic for travel and desire to get everyone a game in Texas each year)

Add in the complications of teams coming and going and it’s going to be a while before this is hammered out. Remember, as of now:
- BYU is scheduled to enter in 2023
- UH, UC, UCF are scheduled to enter in 2023 or 2024
- UT and OU are scheduled to be here until 2025
- My money is on everyone landing in their new home in 2023, but it is scheduled to and could be messier than that

Last edited:

Paul in uhh

The divisions will likely be East/West for travel reasons. This much seems certain

Locks for the West:

Locks for the East:

how do you divvy up Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, and TCU? TBD. Several options:
- keep the old Big 8 together and send OSU and ISU to the West, with both TCU and BU going East.
- keep Baylor with Tech as founding members and send Baylor and OSU to the West with TCU and ISU to the East (yet ISU is a founding member too)
- follow pretty strict geography and send TCU and OSU West with ISU and BU going East
- ignore the above and just put all 4 TX schools + OSU and UCF in a south division with the rest in a North (this may be best for competitive balance but is problematic for travel and desire to get everyone a game in Texas each year)

Add in the complications of teams coming and going and it’s going to be a while before this is hammered out. Remember, as of now:
- My money is on everyone landing in their new home in 2023, but it is scheduled to and could be messier than that

west:
BYU
Tech
Tcu
Baylor
Houston
Ok State

east:
Wvu
Cincy
UCF
ISU
KU
KSU

Wexahu

Locks for the West:

Locks for the East:

I think the bolded is where it might end up, but it's not exactly ideal.

It is a bit of a quandary, there just isn't an obvious dividing line at all. I think ISU should pretty much be a lock for the East and OSU a lock for the West. Where to put us and BU is the head scratcher.

hiphopfroggy

This is the alignment that makes the most sense. I know the teams in the East would whine about not having a guaranteed road game in Texas each year but too bad.

Yea this is it and as long as the conference doesn't schedule like idiots then the east teams will both host and travel to a Texas team annually with an 8 game schedule.

ShreveFrog

I wish it would be north-south divisions (unless that's racist) (holding out for that PAC bid) so we could be grouped with UCF and Houston. Not dang BYU.

TCUdirtbag

west:
BYU
Tech
Tcu
Baylor
Houston
Ok State

east:
Wvu
Cincy
UCF
ISU
KU
KSU

Yeah, this is another option and a good one at that. Interesting in that it puts 3 founding members, 1 2012 expansion member and 2 2023 expansion members in each division.

Similar to my own note on the north/south option described above, I just don’t think they’ll put all 4 Texas schools in one division. Which is why I think in the end they take the above and swap 2 Texas schools for the Kansas schools.

That said, you can technically build an 8 game conference schedule rotation with 12 teams (like the old Big 12) where even those East teams get one Texas team home and away each year (play 5 East division games plus 3 of the 6 West teams). So if the members want it, I think there are arguments to make your or the north/south divisions work. I’m skeptical KU, Kstate, and Iowa State will be too pleased with this though. They need the Texas recruiting pipeline help as much as they can get it.

Last edited: