• The KillerFrogs

Big Ten, ACC, and Pac12 officially announce Alliance

Frog45

Ticket Exchange Pass
titanic-band.gif

jake102

As I've stated before, this is relatively good for us. It likely means none of them will expand and take B12 schools. Whenever the OUT conclusion occurs, B12 will need to immediately add the best 2-6 schools and become the inbetween league. Our annual revenues will drop from $27-$30mm/year to $15-18mm/year, but we will survive in a capacity where we can quasi-operate.

As I've stated before, this is relatively good for us. It likely means none of them will expand and take B12 schools. Whenever the OUT conclusion occurs, B12 will need to immediately add the best 2-6 schools and become the inbetween league. Our annual revenues will drop from $27-$30mm/year to $15-18mm/year, but we will survive in a capacity where we can quasi-operate.
If you do that, you seal TCU''s fate forever.

Once programs like Houston, Cincy, UCF, etc. are "promoted" to a Power league--even if it is the weakest one--those programs quickly get on equal footing with TCU. If that happens, if / when the PAC, B1G and ACC decide to go to 16, TCU will absolutely be left out.

DO NOT PROMOTE OTHER SCHOOLS.

jake102

If you do that, you seal TCU''s fate forever.

Once programs like Houston, Cincy, UCF, etc. are "promoted" to a Power league--even if it is the weakest one--those programs quickly get on equal footing with TCU. If that happens, if / when the PAC, B1G and ACC decide to go to 16, TCU will absolutely be left out.

DO NOT PROMOTE OTHER SCHOOLS.

Once OUT leave, you literally have to add schools or you can't participate in the CFP/college football.

Once OUT leave, you literally have to add schools or you can't participate in the CFP/college football.
Well if it reaches that point, it's over for TCU anyway. The Big 8 / AAC merger isn't going to have equal access to a playoff, if they even have any access at all.

Bottom line, unless TCU gets a lifeline to the PAC or ACC, the future for us is bleak.

Mean Purple

Folks who had "hot takes" were saying PAC was driving this.
From this presser, the mastermind in the room, as usual, is Jim Phillips. My guess is he made the call first. He has always been thinking ahead and always counters others really well.
Plus, this whole thing makes them look good. "We are here for the students and to save college sports as we know it and keep stability ..."

A block of 41 schools pressuring governance does a lot too.

As for Phillips comments that they want and need the big 12 in college sports and the power 5, yeah, that could just be lip service. However, this could force SEC's hand to put folks like the big 12 in non-conf game slots.

It also pushes back on ESPN a little.

Mean Purple

They are all 3 signaling that nothing is changing in regard to realignment anytime soon. Their comments about the B12 need to remain an important thing probably means that they aren't throwing any of the remaining 8 a life raft. Long ways to go between now an the end of the GOR but I think we all know where we stand at this point.
They are not going to signal it if something does change. That's why I take Phillips' comments about the big 12 at half at best. They can give no indication of that if they don't want to risk legal issues. Stuff like that won't go out in the open until or close to when the deals are basically done.

Mean Purple

Our old nemesis, Barry Alvarez mentioned as a consultant to the alliance on scheduling. Man, I despise that guy.
The comments he made to the Razorback club up in Arkansas a few years back, when, he basically said that TCU should have been in that first playoff, really set me off. He was basically playing CYA for likes.

jake102

Well if it reaches that point, it's over for TCU anyway. The Big 8 / AAC merger isn't going to have equal access to a playoff, if they even have any access at all.

Bottom line, unless TCU gets a lifeline to the PAC or ACC, the future for us is bleak.

I disagree it’s over in that scenario. It’s not good, but it’s clearly a middle of the road option between a PAC invite and going to the AAC or MWC