• The KillerFrogs

CBS Sports: Realignment Fallout, What's Next

flyfishingfrog

yes, but the athletic department can fund the athletic department and does the legislature really want to go down the road of cutting off the ut system after allowing the ags to leave the big 12?

don't think the horns would have to look very far to find a lawyer willing to take that case
I actually think your Aggy point is more of the problem - they already have a precedent and if they had wanted to limit the damage to the other "state" institutions and local economies - they should have raised the concern then.

Although frankly a good lawyer could say Aggy leaving helped both because it increased the Aggy profile a ton while also raising Ft Worth up by allowing TCU into the B12.

While Texas leaving will hurt every school that is left behind and their local economy - so it is not an apples to apples comparison.

If our legislators really wanted to force UT to take an action - or not take one in this case - they have the means despite what UT would like to think. UT is a state funded school and can't stand on its own without the support of the state in it's current economic model.

Now If the legislators really care vs this all being for show or if they have the balls it takes to enforce that means is an entirely other matter. I honestly would have expected them to use the control to require UT to take Tech like they did during the last PAC alignment discussions - but would not expect any defense for TCU/Baylor in this discussion.

Eight

I actually think your Aggy point is more of the problem - they already have a precedent and if they had wanted to limit the damage to the other "state" institutions and local economies - they should have raised the concern then.

Although frankly a good lawyer could say Aggy leaving helped both because it increased the Aggy profile a ton while also raising Ft Worth up by allowing TCU into the B12.

While Texas leaving will hurt every school that is left behind and their local economy - so it is not an apples to apples comparison.

If our legislators really wanted to force UT to take an action - or not take one in this case - they have the means despite what UT would like to think. UT is a state funded school and can't stand on its own without the support of the state in it's current economic model.

Now If the legislators really care vs this all being for show or if they have the balls it takes to enforce that means is an entirely other matter. I honestly would have expected them to use the control to require UT to take Tech like they did during the last PAC alignment discussions - but would not expect any defense for TCU/Baylor in this discussion.

heck, this is the state that the oversight group of the oversight group for ercot wasn't even aware of the various issues with a power grid that has had multiple problems the past few years

we are more worried fighting about bathrooms than things that truly impact this state and when did anyone pay attention to what was going on in higher education?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
heck, this is the state that the oversight group of the oversight group for ercot wasn't even aware of the various issues with a power grid that has had multiple problems the past few years

we are more worried fighting about bathrooms than things that truly impact this state and when did anyone pay attention to what was going on in higher education?
They focus on those issues because the stakes are so small. Making the tough decisions on things that impact our daily lives and livelihoods, like consistent power availability, are best to be avoided or kicked down the road. You might anger the voters!

MagicFrog

We have one hope and one how only IMO- the draw of DFW being the contact point in Texas. Of the PAC does take a Texas team, do they really ONLY want Tech and Lubbock? Same with Stillwater. Hell no IMO but who knows. Package deal with Tech, OSU and another is our best chance with DFW being their central hub to Texas/the south

I give us 25% odds of the PAC and that’s only if they take anyone from the big12

The thought according to some of these reports is that Dallas is TT's alumni base and to a lesser extent OSU's alumni base. So those two together would deliver a decent sized chunk of Texas and all of Oklahoma (not that anyone is fighting over OK TV sets). And depending on what you read they think those two being public schools are a better fit than the private/religious schools.

Honestly I think we would be in better shape without BU hanging around. People tend to lump us together with them as a package deal of some sort instead of realizing that we have our own value and that the DFW area actually cares about us. I really think we are viewed like SMU in that we reside here but don't own many TVs, and that's BS. It doesn't help when we have pictures being circulated of ACS being half orange or half red.

I'm encouraged that we continued to get mentioned in various configurations though. More so than BU is.

MagicFrog

I'm obviously not a lawyer, but is it possible for every municipality with a Big 12 team being impacted to sue UT or the state of Texas? Or sue the Big 12 which in turn would have to sue UT for not being a good faith partner? It would seem that since real damage is being done that there would be some sort of an avenue to take action.

Think about it: UT's advantage is because they make all that money off the PUF. Their advantage isn't because they are wonderful on the field (they're not) or because they are better athletically, it's all because their university gets all that money to brand itself with, and that money comes out of the pockets of other Texans. Considering how much of UT is funded like that (much more than A&M, and Tech gets none of the PUF) then they should have a responsibility not to screw over a bunch of Texas cities.

Texas could have four flagship universities just based on the amount of money they give to UT alone. That's now much money UT gets for free, no questions asked.

Eight

I'm obviously not a lawyer, but is it possible for every municipality with a Big 12 team being impacted to sue UT or the state of Texas? Or sue the Big 12 which in turn would have to sue UT for not being a good faith partner? It would seem that since real damage is being done that there would be some sort of an avenue to take action.

Think about it: UT's advantage is because they make all that money off the PUF. Their advantage isn't because they are wonderful on the field (they're not) or because they are better athletically, it's all because their university gets all that money to brand itself with, and that money comes out of the pockets of other Texans. Considering how much of UT is funded like that (much more than A&M, and Tech gets none of the PUF) then they should have a responsibility not to screw over a bunch of Texas cities.

please tell me you aren't serious with anything you just typed?

please tell me you aren't serious with anything you just typed?
You laugh, but if you read that letter the Baylor president sent to its Alumni, it pretty much implies they will do everything possible to prevent the possible damage to Waco and Baylor. I wouldn't be surprised if BU lawyers and politicians are already talking to leaders in Lubbock and FW given their history of using political and legal means during conference realignment.

Remember, Baylor and Tech threatened to cut funding to UT if they didn't take Baylor and Tech with them to the B12 back in '95. They are not above using legal and/or legislative power to get what they want.

BrewingFrog

You laugh, but if you read that letter the Baylor president sent to its Alumni, it pretty much implies they will do everything possible to prevent the possible damage to Waco and Baylor. I wouldn't be surprised if BU lawyers and politicians are already talking to leaders in Lubbock and FW given their history of using political and legal means during conference realignment.

Remember, Baylor and Tech threatened to cut funding to UT if they didn't take Baylor and Tech with them to the B12 back in '95. They are not above using legal and/or legislative power to get what they want.
Didn't they huff and puff and threaten to hold their breath until they turn blue when Aggie left? Nobody cared then, either.

Baylor is probably toast. Any re-alignment scenario has them as one of the first out, and does so for a number of reasons: 1.) Debt. They gots it. Lots of it. 2.) Religious School. Not just religious, but "School of Creation Science" looney-tune religious. 3.) They leave a lot to be desired in terms of honesty and forthrightness, considering the recent past in the rape scandal, cover-up, and drawn out legal issues. In short, they're radioactive, and glow with a sickly green...

HG73

Didn't they huff and puff and threaten to hold their breath until they turn blue when Aggie left? Nobody cared then, either.

Baylor is probably toast. Any re-alignment scenario has them as one of the first out, and does so for a number of reasons: 1.) Debt. They gots it. Lots of it. 2.) Religious School. Not just religious, but "School of Creation Science" looney-tune religious. 3.) They leave a lot to be desired in terms of honesty and forthrightness, considering the recent past in the rape scandal, cover-up, and drawn out legal issues. In short, they're radioactive, and glow with a sickly green...
And they are going on probation.

Eight

They had one?

tenor.gif

A UT move to SEC could cost the Waco, Lubbock and Fort Worth economies $500M
University communities that get left behind in the conference shake-up stand to lose economic heft and jobs.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/...the-waco-lubbock-and-ft-worth-economies-500m/

For what it's worth, the author, Ray Perryman is a Waco guy and Baylor/Rice grad, but is a highly distinguished economist and analyst. It doesn't take much imagination to see that he is advocating on behalf of Baylor and setting the stage for his study to be introduced to the Texas Legislature.

It's well worth the read, and in fact does help TCU, too.

Here's another link in case you want to by-pass the DMN. You can also download his full report as a pdf.

https://www.perrymangroup.com/publi...f-texas-and-ou-leaving-the-big-12-conference/

BrewingFrog

A UT move to SEC could cost the Waco, Lubbock and Fort Worth economies $500M
University communities that get left behind in the conference shake-up stand to lose economic heft and jobs.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/...the-waco-lubbock-and-ft-worth-economies-500m/

For what it's worth, the author, Ray Perryman is a Waco guy and Baylor/Rice grad, but is a highly distinguished economist and analyst. It doesn't take much imagination to see that he is advocating on behalf of Baylor and setting the stage for his study to be introduced to the Texas Legislature.

It's well worth the read, and in fact does help TCU, too.

Here's another link in case you want to by-pass the DMN. You can also download his full report as a pdf.

https://www.perrymangroup.com/publi...f-texas-and-ou-leaving-the-big-12-conference/
I don't believe he's far off the mark. The issue is, I don't see how this is the precedent-setting moment. Teams have moved around before in the long history of College Football. Why is this episode different from Arkansas leaving in (IIRC) 1990? Or TCU moving from CUSA to the MWC? Or to the BIGXII? Fortunes change. There's fat years and lean years.

While I hate UT with the heat of a thousand suns, suing them for striving to get a better deal is silly.