• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Opposing coaches’ thoughts on TCU: Max Duggan ‘will be one of the better’ QBs in the Big 12

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: Opposing coaches’ thoughts on TCU: Max Duggan ‘will be one of the better’ QBs in the Big 12
E2RQCZTWFWXQJRHD2V4PFQVARE.jpg

By Scott Bell

Athlon Sports recently published its 2021 college football season preview magazine. There are team-by-team previews for all 130 teams inside the magazine. One element of each team preview for Power 5 schools is a section where opposing coaches anonymously share their thoughts on that specific school.

Here’s a look at what the opposing coaches had to say about TCU, which struggled early in 2020 but finished with a three-game winning streak and won five of its final six games on the season. The Horned Frogs’ 38 wins in the Big 12 over the past seven seasons are tied for second in the conference, trailing only Oklahoma.

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...e-of-the-better-ones-in-the-league-this-year/

Westsider

Paywall: DNR

E2RQCZTWFWXQJRHD2V4PFQVARE.jpg

By Scott Bell

Athlon Sports recently published its 2021 college football season preview magazine. There are team-by-team previews for all 130 teams inside the magazine. One element of each team preview for Power 5 schools is a section where opposing coaches anonymously share their thoughts on that specific school.

Here’s a look at what the opposing coaches had to say about TCU, which struggled early in 2020 but finished with a three-game winning streak and won five of its final six games on the season. The Horned Frogs’ 38 wins in the Big 12 over the past seven seasons are tied for second in the conference, trailing only Oklahoma.

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...e-of-the-better-ones-in-the-league-this-year/

froglash88

I closed the paywall and was still able to read it.

I found this part interesting (what other B12 coaches are saying about TCU):

I don’t think their wide receiver play has been as good the last couple years. They don’t have anyone who scares you on the perimeter. The QB gives them a chance because he can make the runs and the throws, but if there’s something missing right now, it’s skill position talent.

ticketfrog123

I closed the paywall and was still able to read it.

I found this part interesting (what other B12 coaches are saying about TCU):

I don’t think their wide receiver play has been as good the last couple years. They don’t have anyone who scares you on the perimeter. The QB gives them a chance because he can make the runs and the throws, but if there’s something missing right now, it’s skill position talent.

fake news by opposing coaches

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Well, a blind man could see the issues with the WR corps. It did improve some last season, but there is a long, long way to go from the snake's-belly-in-a-wheel-rut the position was in '19. I like to think that with the change in Staff, we will see improvement. Execution. Confidence. Perhaps even a bit of swagger.

I don't believe we lack "talent" at WR. We have lacked the ability to utilize it.

ticketfrog123

Figured you’d say that. Coaches, who know football better than anyone else, think Max is legit.
Ouch.

yeah - They fear him on the same level as Rattler for sure

and yet say our WRs aren’t very good - maybe daring Duggan to throw the ball more bc they know he hasn’t had the accuracy in the past

these anonymous coaching quotes are always weak - DCTF or wherever else

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
It is going to be interesting on offense this season with Cumbie gone and Meach taking over. I am encouraged that I think the OL will be improved and be good at the beginning of the season. It took them half the year to come around last season. That is where our success begins or fails. Give Max time and RBs some space and look out.

Eight

and yet say our WRs aren’t very good - maybe daring Duggan to throw the ball more bc they know he hasn’t had the accuracy in the past

you have to be trolling because the idea that they were baiting the tcu offensive staff and max into throwing the ball with these comments in a magazine that is about as relevant as lindy's and the free neighborhood weekly circular is just a bit of a stretch

i know, i know, you can't be a troll because you know the real reason max sat out the first half against iowa state. who gives a damn about that.

the past is the past and here is to better quarterback and receiver play because both need to be better this year

Damn, presented with evidence that you are full of crap, and you set up yet another strawman to knock down.

You're a bad troll. We are all laughing at you.

tcudoc

This will be a breakout year for Max. Things will really come together and he will have 2 excellent WRs emerge (QJ and one other). Evans in the backfield will cause them to have to focus on the run game which will open up the passing game. I think modest improvement in pass protection will reap huge benefits, as will having a clear number one running back who gets the majority of the carries as opposed to only a handful.
If our QB is our most feared runner again this year, disregard everything I have said.

Eight

just need guys to step up and make catches.
Who were the rcvrs we lost to the portal this year?

tevailance hunt and john stephens transferred out and i believe dylan thomas is done with football

between hunt and stephens the frogs lost roughly 40 career catches, maybe 500-600 receiving yards, and 1 great td catch from hunt against baylor

stop me if you have heard this before about the frogs receivers since 2016, but on paper the group is very talented, the younger group were recruited by a number of schools, and there is physical talent

does quentin become the frogs go to guy for really the first time since doctson?

froggish has pointed out multiple times the frogs haven't had a legit second receiver outside since really 2014. do we see savion willliams step up? medford? nowell? butler?

frogs have a number of candidates in the slot with davis, barber, spielman, and conwright, but personally i want to see the frogs give quentin the chance to develop into the man in the passing game and that is going to mean going to him and not throwing elsewhere simply because the defense is in press coverage

frogs also have some raw talent in rogers at a flex and some of the backs can catch the ball.

4 Oaks Frog

Evan’s will be catching out of the backfield, too…gona be fun!!!
GO FROGS !
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

Wexahu

tevailance hunt and john stephens transferred out and i believe dylan thomas is done with football

between hunt and stephens the frogs lost roughly 40 career catches, maybe 500-600 receiving yards, and 1 great td catch from hunt against baylor

stop me if you have heard this before about the frogs receivers since 2016, but on paper the group is very talented, the younger group were recruited by a number of schools, and there is physical talent

does quentin become the frogs go to guy for really the first time since doctson?

froggish has pointed out multiple times the frogs haven't had a legit second receiver outside since really 2014. do we see savion willliams step up? medford? nowell? butler?

frogs have a number of candidates in the slot with davis, barber, spielman, and conwright, but personally i want to see the frogs give quentin the chance to develop into the man in the passing game and that is going to mean going to him and not throwing elsewhere simply because the defense is in press coverage

frogs also have some raw talent in rogers at a flex and some of the backs can catch the ball.

Sustaining drives and Duggan not keeping the ball so much are the keys to getting more touches to the guys that need more touches IMO. Those Doctson teams were running 15 more plays per game than this crew has been.

HFrog12

Sustaining drives and Duggan not keeping the ball so much are the keys to getting more touches to the guys that need more touches IMO. Those Doctson teams were running 15 more plays per game than this crew has been.

I think keeping the same guys out there helps out with what you mentioned and gets us back to the Doctson years. That team only had a handful of receivers that we threw to. Same with the Dalton years (Hicks, Boyce, Johnson, Young, etc.). The last few years we rotate way too many guys. There is no continuity from Duggan to the receivers.

I think if you keep the same 6 receivers on the field you will be able to play faster, sustain drives, thus run more plays, and your best 6 receivers are getting a piece of those 15 more plays you mentioned.

Wexahu

I think keeping the same guys out there helps out with what you mentioned and gets us back to the Doctson years. That team only had a handful of receivers that we threw to. Same with the Dalton years (Hicks, Boyce, Johnson, Young, etc.). The last few years we rotate way too many guys. There is no continuity from Duggan to the receivers.

I think if you keep the same 6 receivers on the field you will be able to play faster, sustain drives, thus run more plays, and your best 6 receivers are getting a piece of those 15 more plays you mentioned.

Agree, but it seemed to me like the rotations were much less frequent last year. We were just so bad at throwing and catching and the offense was so messed up that everyone's numbers were going to stink no matter who was in there. Duggan completed 3 passes against Kansas!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Not rotating your players keeps the other side from rotating, too. Allows you to work tempo. Sets up mismatches.*

Josh Doctson was a fabulous talent. I would almost be in favor of bringing him back as a WR coach, simply because he did the fundamental things that a WR has to do to be successful so well. I am guessing that he didn't learn any of that at TCU, but at Wyoming. I wonder if that position coach is available...

*Pity we didn't have an Offensive Coordinator bright enough to grasp these simple ideas...

Froggish

Imagine a world where you don’t have QJ for a few games….Name a WR we have that any other team should be worried about? We have talent but nothing that’s arrived. The opposing coach isn’t wrong on our WR room. This team badly needs another outside WR to emerge opposite QJ.