• The KillerFrogs

Schlossnagle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfishingfrog

have a question: does baseball pay for itself? If not, Schloss owes TCU a debt of gratitude. Yes, a winning team is better than a losing one, but in terms of a financial deficit a winning one is still in the red.
you think we play sports for profit?

I realize football pays for itself and other sports directly in the athletic department - but success on the field returns 10x the cost to the school through PR and reputation outside the sports arena

As is pointed out - we are a an above average but far from elite educational institution that has an elite sticker price.

Yet we still have over 20k applicants and one of the lowest acceptance rates in the state

VBo and the faculty can act like its because of whatever they choose - but it is due to the name TCU gained from winning on the football field and going to the places like the CWS.

Loss or not, being a top baseball program helps bring in revenue well beyond the money made during games just like football brings in a ton more than comes from tv money and ticket sales.

froginmn

Dogfrog

Have you wandered through campus? Damned near everything is new. Place is absolutely changed from my student days of the very-early 80s. All of that cost money. A lot of it. And since TCU avoids debt, they passed the hat to the Alumni to fund it. The ACS "Upgrade" was expensive, but the re-build of the Campus may well have been much, much more. I do not know, but I can guesstimate. V. Bo has been balancing the needs of the University as a whole with the demands of Athletics, and it is a very careful juggling act: Chainsaws, grapefruit, and a whiffleball. Maybe even a spinning plate or two.

The other fact is that The Lup is only 17 years old. While the Rangers and Cowboys go through Stadiums every 10 years or so, they have the stupid City of Arlington (and it's taxpayers) to finance it for them. I am sure that the Administration is leery about entering into discussions about building a whole new facility, paid for by the same donors who have seen the donation plate come around several times now, in this time of tumultuous financial instability and potential inflation*.

A great deal of money has flowed into TCU, and many other Universities, over the past decade. With these expansions, and the vast expansion of tuition, many feel that there is a Great Reckoning on the horizon for higher education as a whole. With this uncertainty looming on the horizon, I can see their reluctance to make such a move. Donati in particular would have a tough time, given that the East Side funding and ticket sales did not live up to expectations and dragged on longer than anyone thought. He would have to woo already reluctant donors to get out their checkbooks yet again, and he's not nearly the Sideshow Hustler that CDC was. It's a toughie.

I do not believe that we're entering a new and horrible repeat of the 90s, where nobody wanted to fund things. I think there is a desire there, but it is tempered by the harsh realities of the present.

*Really, in terms of interest rates, looming inflation, and ease of good customers getting credit, now would be the time to take on such debt. Pay it off in "ten cent dollars" in 20 years...

I am a 70’s grad so don’t need a reminder how far we’ve come. Don’t disagree with most of this. Since when, however, does logic have any place in P5 college athletics? You either commit and keep doubling down like the big boys or sit still and float to your true level. You could make a case for both I suppose. Back to logic - what has a greater positive influence on alumni, students, parents, visiting teams and fans, NCAA, conference, and local community? A TCU baseball stadium or a fabulous new administration building? Somebody will step up - BrewingFrog Field at Dogfrog Park has a ring to it.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I am a 70’s grad so don’t need a reminder how far we’ve come. Don’t disagree with most of this. Since when, however, does logic have any place in P5 college athletics? You either commit and keep doubling down like the big boys or sit still and float to your true level. You could make a case for both I suppose. Back to logic - what has a greater positive influence on alumni, students, parents, visiting teams and fans, NCAA, conference, and local community? A TCU baseball stadium or a fabulous new administration building? Somebody will step up - BrewingFrog Field at Dogfrog Park has a ring to it.
Heh. If I win the lottery...

And, you're absolutely right: Logic has no place in the mad, mad, mad world of P5 Athletics. Especially not when you have many institutions playing on a State credit card. Through the benefit of shrewd choices of improvements, and really good coaching, we've been punching above our weight.

Mean Purple

Actually 12th man didn’t come from Seattle. It came from the occupy Wall Street protests in Portland and helped birth the antifa organization. Like many things the aggy stole it and made it their own.
If they could get away with it, they woud rename that dog Revere and steal the name "Minutemen" for one of their traditions too.

Mean Purple

Well he is dead to me know also

but he did want to be here - you guys should all be more worried that this is the third time a top 3 sports coach at TCU has tried to leave and our AD hasn’t been able to prevent any of them

Schloss was only still here because Miss St pulled his offer in 2018

Dixon is only still here because UCLA refused to pay the buy out

we have a problem in the top office as much as we ever have one on the field or court
I had not really been in the camp that much of ADJD needs to go. But he has to show something now.

Mean Purple

screen-shot-2017-12-03-at-5-31-41-pm.jpg
Those goat humpers look like they can't wait to pull a train.

Paul in uhh

TCU baseball makes over $3000 a week working from home. TCU baseball is its own boss doing easy work from home with flexible hours. Does it seem too good to be true? It is not. Don’t miss out on this opportunity. Click on the link to find out more.
I just want to say thanks to tcu baseball for giving me the freedom to work from home. I made 6735 last month thanks to their forex trades and you can earn that too click here

tcumaniac

So you don’t actually know him. Duly noted.
I don’t actually know him, but I loved Schloss being our coach.

With that said, I’ve heard on numerous occasions that his players, former and current, absolutely despise the guy. And not the kind of hate players may have but eventually grow out of with Gary, where they ultimately end up appreciating and respecting Coach P for his tough love. It’s a deep seeded hatred and disrespect for the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.